New DIY Desk/Rig Case build WIP

I attempted to build a case before (Dark Trinity Case WIP), and right after I started wiring it up it was obvious things were a little too tight to complete the design. Nevertheless that little box severed me well over the last few years, making set up times for gig’s last about 5 maybe 10 mins.

I’ve been meaning to build a new case as well as a new desk.
I’ve mocked up plenty of more modular grandiose ideas over the years, and I have landed on this simple place to start from.
I had thought of doing custom built in places that housed all of the gear in their cases.
Things may change gear wise along the way so I decided to keep the desk basic, allowing for gear changes in the future, as well as other projects like video editing, stop mo and drawing.
I have a few ideas for this desk that aren’t shown in these first mock ups, but those things will be revealed as things progress.

Hopefully starting this will keep me motivated to the finish!

5 Likes

AK arrived, time for a sysex party

3 Likes

I think I got a solid “idea” on the hinge mechanism, but need to find some elegant hardware. Feel pretty good about this design but open to exploring option I haven’t seen.
Thought about using a piano hinge at the very front lip fro the OT/AR but that’ll probably pinch my arms all the time if I rest them on the edge.
Also looking for parts to build all kinds of custom cables.
Elbow USB-C to HDMI female ports, stacking elbow instrument cables, etc.

Any tips are greatly appreciated

Angled Stacked Jacks? (I just photoshopped this as an example)

Progress:

6 Likes

That’s an unusual but interesting design. I like it aesthetically and ergonomically. I’d like to throw out a couple of thoughts as someone who used to build custom furniture and stage sets for a living (now I’m just a lowly carpenter and construction forman, I miss my old job). You’re going to need the hinges (or pins or whatever hardware) at the front end of the elektron boxes to be really strong. When both sections are in the upright position you’re going to have two points of contact supporting all of that weight on what is essentially a lever. You can reduce that point load a lot by having some sort of support underneath (hinged legs/ baffles, removable legs, whatever). Even so you’ll still be subject to a fair bit of torsional force (Think side to side or twisting) on those hinge points. Anything you can do to make it lock into place or at least be tight will help. Also make sure the material (plywood?) is both strong and rigid.
All of that being said, it’s totally achievable. Quality piano hinge would add a lot of strength but your concern about pinching is valid, ive been there. Maybe it could be covered somewhat by extending the bed for the two elektron boxes a little to create a lip? Just some thoughts. Feel free to ignore me.

2 Likes

So you’re ditching the A4? :stuck_out_tongue:

Looking great btw

2 Likes

You’re going to need an exoskeleton suit to lift that

1 Like

Thanks for the input!
Yesterday I got to talking with a friend who’s got a rad shop with CNC routing, 3D printing and all my carpentry needs. Where gonna fabricate a hinged metal shelf kinda thing. I’ll post more designs as I get it flush out for actual building.

It was tempting to keep, but if I’m gonna double up on Elektron boxes, it’ll be an OT fer sure!

Nah, that was case #5.2. Learned that lesson

1 Like

A little better

5 Likes

Cool. Having a well equipped shop at your disposal will make everything easier.
So if I’m reading your new rendering correctly you have added adjustable supports underneath the shelves that have tabs which fit into slotted tracks? That’s pretty clever. Using some metal really opens up your design options.
Please continue to update as the project progresses. Its a good one.

2 Likes

Pretty much. Thats what was kicking around in my head.
I’m thinking some kind of sharks tooth track at this point, that the cylindrical nubs can rest in at different positions. Plus I need to figure out a clever way to keep from pinching myself when adjusting it.
Some kind of remote control retractable shock system phone app thing would be sick, presets and all.

1 Like

if youre putting in this level of effort, i think you should do all the cabling fully custom. it shouldnt be too much more work, but i think the results would be highly satisfying.

I suggest you eliminate all potential sources of painful injury even if this means ditching current designs. I used to invert rack shelves, which gave me more space at the expense of exposing sharp edges. it made me use my gear less.

the designs imo seem too custom. I fear it will be hard to modify your setup. I would consider more usage of 19" rack rails. you can rack two elektrons right on top of eachother if you invert the rack ears of the top unit, therefore allowing cabling to feed into the bottom unit.

Hella good input, thank you!
Yeah, I’d definitely like to custom cable everything, where the only thing I regularly take from the case, is my laptop.
I was looking into magnetic USB-c plugs

This is exactly where I am at, while using this thread and a few friends I text to sort out ideas until I settle on the right thing. I’ve built a few before and the longer you plan the better it turns out.

Great feedback that I have thought about over and over before.
This is actually my final rig, with this gear. I’ll work with this set up for the next few years. The laptop is only used for visuals really, and it’s the only thing that might change in the future.
I quit GASing a while back when I completed the dark trinity.
I figure with this set up I have everything I need plugged in and ready to go.
If I want to add something, like a new synth or instrument, I’ll just use a separate stand and jack into the mixer.

1 Like

very nice. finding harmony with the location and orientations of my gear has helped alleviate my gas. i wont be able to add anything until I make a radical decision to part with gear I’m familiar and productive with, for the sake of change.

for those paroozing for ideas for compact portable setups. a 19" rack on casters with pull out shelves works brilliantly for me. its a nice solution you can simply buy online. it’s a fraction of my studios physical footprint, but it contains the majority of my setup

1 Like

Can anyone recommend a good case to use for giging.id like something that can hold a DT and DN 3 X Roland boutiques a microcosm and a xone 96

Just F’n around and giving myself a final little vision board.
I really want to finish out my rig with a BeniDub and a MAM VF-11

I love this stuff but the gear I favor changes often…:elot: is the only permanent fixture!

1 Like