Current sounds coming from your gear (Part 2)

This one ?

I was thinking of your ongoing jazz project :grinning:
But patience is a virtue. You’re still sketching the whole thing out, I gather.

1 Like

I have quite a few tracks in “Phase 1” but this kind of project need full exclusive work time for me.
Problem is that time is not on my side these days so it may take a while.

But in the meantime, if you really want some of my stuff in this genre, i can point you to my Bandcamp where you can find the first ep of the same “Band”.

It’s a “finished product” vs the sketches i’ve posted here.
It’s a tad bit different in the mood… and a different expended formation

In all cases, thanks for the support/Interest !

Ep :

5 Likes

Digitone plinks and ploinks with a little OT drummage. One of those sessions where the initial idea has completely evaporated.

3 Likes

Thanks mate!

lil sum sum

Another one for…

1 Like

Great!

1 Like

MD morning ambient study. 2 GND-SIN, 2 comb filters, 15 LFOs
probably best listened to whilst doing something boring that needs some frequency beating

8 Likes

I love the Cinematic Mood.

3 Likes

what’s the kitchen sound system setup? and did he finish his bowl?

1 Like

Sound bar and he ate 2 bowls. :rofl:

1 Like

A4/Ms20/opsix

Some electro ideas. Very hard to mix. Any tips are welcome

6 Likes

sp-404
quick test with sending some cc messages from octatrack

7 Likes

This is just me, but:

If I care less about what I’m doing, and just have an urge to make a sound or some music, or even just sit and play just for fun, THAT is when I come up with something decent.

If I have some spare time, and decide that I’m going to sit down and make music/sounds/whatever, and then force it into an “I’m going to do this” sort of thing, it will not typically turn out very well.

So, my gear sits largely unused a lot of the time, and then all of a sudden, I’ll have some idea that I want to try out, or just feel creative in general. Those are the times things work out better. A more natural flow of that creative energy, and I care less about making something cool, and more about just getting absorbed in the moment.

Maybe take a break just long enough to where you get a feeling that you want to do something, or some idea pops into your head. The quality of output might change based on a different frame of mind.

Also, my opinion is that all the sounds you post here are really cool. Maybe you’re just being too critical of yourself.

As far as just basic mixing and sound design to make things fit together, there are some pretty cool videos on YouTube about all this. I tend to like Oscar / Underdog. He usually presents ideas that I’m already familiar with, but they’re good reminders, and he has a slightly different approach with some things than other people do. Also check out Ken “Hiwatt” Marshall’s videos. He mixes a lot of Skinny Puppy tracks, and has very good tips. He’s also always super excited about everything, and it rubs off. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I always wanna be doing something. I sit down excited every time. The deterrent is the sounds. Sometimes while doing stuff I’m so upset with the sounds, I just rage shut it off and walk away.

I feel like it’s in me, I just can’t get it out.
:pensive:

1 Like

Happens to me. Or I make some cool sounds, start making a loop to hopefully extend into a track, then realize the whole idea is stupid. Then shut it off and walk away.

One thing to try maybe. Start with simpler sounds. Just make things super simple, but play with them. Work with the EQing, layer them into a simple mix. Or short sounds, and work on animating and sculpting them, timing them in the sequence. Work out from there with some more lush or evolving stuff. I have a lot more actual fun when I’ve got something simple and catchy going. I usually find ways to fill in the gaps and make it sound fuller later if I need to.

Just change up your approach a bit. Maybe a different process will lead to different results.

The other night I spend about an hour making a nice drum kit on the Syntakt, made a cool bass sound, and started writing a loop. No matter what I did, it just didn’t sound good to me. I put it on the table, turned to my wife, and said “I just made some really bad music.” She laughed. But it really did sound stupid. The sounds were good, but the idea to use them wasn’t. Sometimes things just don’t work.

Edit: One other thing that works for me sometimes. Say I’m writing a techno track (or at least that’s what I set out to do), and it’s not going the way I want. Sometimes, I’ll turn the tempo down, rearrange the drums into a break, and make hip/trip/hop instead or something like that. Sometimes the sounds didn’t do it for me with one genre, but in another they worked just fine. Or my brain was just working that way for the day. I’ve made a ton of tracks that started out as one style, and ended up in another one. For the better.

2 Likes

nice clarinet woodwind type sounds! How did you embed your Bandcamp song and link in this forum?

ambient nightmares

2 Likes

Same here.
There are some times when i succeed to achieve precisely what i want when designing.
But i find Happy Accidents more vivid and exciting most of the time.

That’s why i love Synth/tools that let me keep my not so fantastic tweaks to an other algorithm/sound engine/synthesis that instantly reveal something special or at least, really interesting, either to keep as it is or as a more colorful start to refine.

That has become one of my many favorite thing with the Digitone or Microfreak.

So, if i achieve my initial goal, that’s awesome, but if i produce layers of turds, the possibility of turning them into a gem takes out a lot of frustration in the process.
_

@phaelam I can understand the frustration and i won’t give you awesome tips of victory.
But …
When that happens to me, before walking away, i joyfully fuck up that douchebag of sound that refuses to become awesome with dumb tweaks, outrageous manipulations and mean effects.
One : That’s fun.
Two : Revenge has been served.
Three : Something cool may rise from this.

3 Likes

Woodwinds are from Swam :

The Bandcamp link is the just a copy/paste of the album page from my web browser into the post.
If i remember correctly you can choose the display of the player.

1 Like