Best drum machine to pair with OT

Bought an OT over the summer, followed shortly by a Minilogue and a Minitaur. Really been enjoying it, but would like to free up some tracks on the OT, so I’m looking into a drum machine as my next addition.

If I stay with Elektron, there’s the Analog RYTM or the Digitakt. I know the Digi’s treat patterns differently from OT which has parts/patterns. I read how a lot of people are annoyed with the OT parts/patterns, but I really like it. I don’t want to say money isn’t a factor, but if the RYTM is a justifiable step up and plays better with the OT, I’ll pay the price.

I’m also open minded to stepping away from Elektron into something like a TR-8s or something like that.

I see lots of videos comparing drum machines to each other, but not in the context of already having an Octatrack to pair it with.

Cue endless list of suggestions, comparisons, likes and dislikes.

If you can , go to a shop and try some out. Get the one you like best. Nuts to what ever the internet says.

11 Likes

I once used a second Octatrack as a dedicated drum machine, setup with a permanent drum machine template filling all the flexi & static slots with sample chains which meant there was thousands of drum sounds available per step. That was a lot of fun & knowing how to use the OT already makes it easy to use.

9 Likes

Absolutely.

No matter how many suggestions one may get, one has to remember that the journey is personal, and ultimately it is up to the user to decide what works and what doesn’t, because there are numerous combinations that work for some, not for others.

I would argue that any gear will pair up well with any other gear absolutely dependent on a person’s musical and production personality. In addition, anyone can push any piece of gear to work with anything else with some effort, dedication, creativity, imagination, and problem-solving skills. X drum machine is not going to magically bond with an OT right out of the box - that is mostly up to the person to make it happen.

2 Likes

How about a TR-626?

(I’m not serious: if you want a 626, you are probably better off with a new or lightly used TR-6s or 8s)

Lots of good drum machines out there, including the classic “actually, my A4 makes an AMAZING drum machine”.

Edit:

1. Roland drums? Then pick the TR-8s or 6s. I have the 8s and have the room for it, but the 6s should be perfectly serviceable in a smaller studio.
    a. More than just Roland drums? Then the MC-101 or 707. The OT would make up for limitations the MC’s sampler.
  2. Analog, knob per function? PĒRKONS or a PerFourmer sequenced by the OT are worth considering.
  3. Rich digital synthesis - LXR-02
  4. Analog science lab? Syntrx

With an OT in the studio already, you may prefer the more flexible analog engine of the A4:

I find that the TR-8s is an instant gratification machine. Nearly any random pattern sent into it sounds nice. My AK (I upgraded from a Mk1 A4) is much more involved and usually leads to different, far more experimental results.

The right machine for you depends on the sound you want, and the interaction you prefer. A Volca FM Mk2 would make an excellent sound source for the OT if you are willing to dive into the DX architecture.

3 Likes

Yes I would love to get my hands on these machines before I buy, but unfortunately the shops around me don’t have a lot of electronic music gear, so I’m having to rely on YouTube and forums like these. It’s how I ended up with the machines I have now, and I am very happy with them so far, so I figured I would turn back to y’all once again for drum machine suggestions.

Mostly making lofi/deep house style stuff (think artists like Baltra, Slim Hustla, Pope Graas, Baeside, Mall Grab) if that helps any.

Hadn’t thought about an A4 as a drum machine. Will have to look more into that.

The 2 octatrack idea is definitely interesting, as what I Really wish for is an octatrack with 10+ tracks (Dekatron?), but just not sure how difficult it would be to keep 2 sets of banks/parts/patterns/scenes organized on 2 machines without a lot of planning. Maybe I’m overthinking it and you can just ignore a lot on the dedicated drum machine OT. Will look into it more though. But another thing is, I wanted to find another machine to Compliment the OT, that would maybe bring a feature to my setup that the OT is lacking.

I would say right now my top three machines I am looking at are the TR-8s(or 6s), Digitakt, or AR. But still open to anything at this point. (Syntakt? Another OT,)

I know there isn’t a “best” machine, but I know in some cases there may be one specific feature you love about a machine that makes it invaluable to you, or another may have a quirk that you absolutely hate and doesn’t fit your workfllow and made you sell it. Those tidbits have been really helpful in helping me choose instruments so far.

since your word “best”
First I thought 2 of best form factor mate to OT:
md for same system architecture
Ar mk1 (not mk2)for same design Philosophy

Otherwise, any drum machine will work together with ot very well!

1 Like

Just use your Octatrack!

3 Likes

This is what the AI recommends for “the best drum machine ever made.” It appears to be a MD/MM combo manufactured in Asia. Are there any correspondents in that region that can confirm its existence?

3 Likes

I’ve been following this guy for a few years now. He uses 2 OT’s.

https://youtube.com/@estibimusic

I’ve had several OT’s in the past, both mk1 and mk2. I miss them. I sold my last one out of desperation for some cash but I will be grabbing one again soon.

I currently have ar mk2, dt, and st and can’t see getting rid of these even with their overlaps.

But I always keep thinking how great it would be to have two OT’s specifically for the purpose you are after.

@Kosmology said it best. Sample chains for the win. Infinite drum samples easily reached instantly to be changed on the fly.

The roland tr8s is another amazing one, with that instant gratification ability. The sound sculpting is pretty limited but the latest update with the fm makes it really interesting. And those faders, very performance oriented.

1 Like

I had them, also Machinedrum, Syntakt suits me better.

Weird how it has nothing like pads or X0X style sequencer row. It’s more like a Kyra or something

1 Like

I mentioned using a 2nd OT earlier but should also have said that these days I have a Rytm MK1 & MPC one that cover drum duties. I really love the Rytm, there’s something very satisfying about tweaking analogue sounds & the limitations of the top 8 pads/engines means you end up being creative with the noise engine & filter which is a lot of fun. You also have the dual VCO for the bottom pads which is a sophisticated analog mono synth. I don’t use samples on it that much, but it does also have that capability which can be mixed with the analog engine. It’s without a doubt my favourite Elektron most of the time.

The MPC drum engine is also very good & sophisticated but not as much fun to edit, but I like using both, they are very different experiences as the MPC is much more a DAW like sequencer & you have note repeat which is great for getting interesting velocity hits or ghost hits. The drum engine has a full 8 part engine, or each drum type has its own instrument too so you could fill all 8 instrument slots with the individual engines if you wanted. On top of that you would still have 128 program slots for kits, each of which can have 128 samples assigned with an (almost) 1GB of Ram. The MPC is capable of so much more than this, but it could very easily be setup like I described using the OT earlier, using a permanent drum machine template. I do use the sample chains on it, however the way to use them is to split them into a kit so the hits are across the pads.

IMO if you can get into the workflow, the MPC One is an unbelievable bargain, I’ve seen them going for £450 on eBay recently. The MPC system is a bit quirky if you haven’t used the concept before but it pretty much is 128 midi tracks & external racks if you are familiar with that concept, & then Sequences can either be song parts or complete tracks that all have their own 128 midi tracks & have access to the same ‘racks.’ I did actually replace my OT with the MPC a few years ago, I’d been using OTs for years & felt like a change, but the OT would still be a good partner to an MPC, they have very different takes on samples.

With MPC One, Syntakt, Digitakt etc - you will have to pair it with a midi Fader controller - to blend in the different drum sounds. I personally create drum loops in Abelton (With Syntakt, Drum Racks in Abelton.) (To be looped in OT) I would ask the question, what is the intend:
Live Play: TR8s , RYTM
Drum Sequence Recording: MPC, Syntakt (Live is better with additonal Midi Controller.)

MPC has the advantage, that you could set limiters per channel, so you dont accidentally screw your set with too loud drum sounds. With Syntakt, TR8s you have to be a littler more careful.
Also external midi controllers brings you in the problem - that often when you page on the midi controller - you will loose the current CC state - and have to fetch the CC parameter again.
Also the sample content of the MPC is top, one of the best sample content i had recieved, with loopmasters you get often several gbyte, where only a few drum hits are very good.
Samples from Mars is a very good source for classic drum machine hits.

I am a drum machine addict to be fair, they are all lots of fun.

Haven’t read thread but look for a drum machine that matches what flavor you want. I would personally suggest the Digitakt.

I think the big thing with the Rytm vs Digitakt thing is that the Digitakt has better sample capabilities while the Rytm obviously has analog drum engines and you can blend the samples with those engines. Also people swear by the sound of the samples going through the analog components.

Some other things to look at:
Erica Synths LXR-02
Twisted Electrons Blast Beats
Isla Instruments S2400 (it’s a sampler with lots of character but it’s large as fuck and almost 15 pounds so I don’t recommend for live use).

You could also look at a DFAM or something and just make your own drum sounds and sample them into the Octatrack. The OT is way more than capable at being a great drum machine

Ideally you’ll want something with lots of MIDI CCs to control with the OT. Nord Drum 2 is a great example.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Your answers really helped guide me in my research, and I ended up purchasing a RYTM MK1 today. Hopefully it will become good friends with my Octatrack MK2.

Bummer having to use the computer to send samples from OT to AR, but for less than $700, I knew I wasn’t going to find an AR MK2 for close to that.

5 Likes

Nice! That’s a great combo. Otherwise I’d recommend a Syntakt.

1 Like

Syntakt.

1 Like

i was going to suggest a second OT. that would be sweet.

I have a Rytm and love it. Had a DT and it was really nice too but much prefer the Rytm for my personal needs

2 Likes