Drummachine for Octatrack

Obvious answer: Analog Rytm. Has analog punch as well as samples.

As of late, using the Syntakt as well, which also packs a punch when it comes to drums. With the Syntakt I pan all drums to the left, the rest to the right, and use A input and C input in two different tracks in the Octatrack for some more control.

5 Likes

And pads :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Both digitakt and rytm work great. I am now looking to repurchase a nord drum 3p tho, can sequence it but also play and record it live.

1 Like

I highly recommend any of the Nord drum modules! They pair real well with Octatrack!

4 Likes

Thank you. Would you say that the analog drums of Syntakt sound similar to a Rytm, and can you play samples with syntakt?

Similar yeah, but Rytm has more range in its analog circuits (all on-machine sounds are analog [except the samples obviously]) than Syntakt, while Syntakt also have digital sounds which Rytm lacks.

Best is to judge for yourself, look up the thread for standalone Syntakt songs, and compare with music made with only the Rytm.

While Syntakt has a broader range, it lacks the lovely performance controls that Rytm has.

No samples on the Syntakt btw.

1 Like

Another vote for Rytm. I have both units mk1 and they will never leave the setup, that’s my core whilst other stuff comes and goes.

1 Like

Speaking of Rytm - can you play pads in time and quantize finger drumming to 1/32 for example? I am trying to practice some finger drumming and I am having issues to play in time. I used to do this on NI Maschine ages ago without issues because it has option to quantize while playing (don’t confuse with live recording quantize!)

Pads on mk1 is bad, really bad

But yeah, it’s possible, kind off, the Quantize works in %

I was referring to MK2. Where I can find the settings for it?

• Nord Drum 2
  • LXR 2
  • iPad with Sugarbytes Drumcomputer
3 Likes

I vote for Octatrack! I use Part 4, over on pattern 16, as drum machine. Track 5 has a 64 step record trig on it. I make a drum pattern, resample into T5’s record buffer, and then I can use that in any other part/pattern.

Works great, and no need for another box to learn and take care of.

7 Likes

Used jomox airbase, sequencing from OT.

I recently hooked my Pioneer SP-16 up as a drum machine to my OT/ST set up and it’s awesome. Plus it’s an awesome standalone machine.

MC-707. Great for pairing with a sampler. Drums, ROMpler sounds, synths, pads.

I think I’ve seen you suggest this in a thread or two in the past and really must try! I think I even loaded up some MFB, Jomox samples and picked up the Caught On Tape and Cult of SP Elektron packs to do exactly that and…have not yet. Love this approach though.

1 Like

It works really well, and you only “lose” a part, and one pattern.

I guess you could also have other instruments in different parts too. Maybe a chord machine, and so on.

I wonder if record buffers survive a change of bank. If so, you have pretty much unlimited parts, sending resampled tracks between them via the record buffers.

2 Likes

You could even dedicate parts to genre’s or vibes! I need to make patterns for each genre though because my storage fills up rather quickly.

1 Like

Thanks for breaking this down further!

Do like the concept a lot, and really like OT when I free it up to be a drum machine: just trying to work how to reference the material I’m looking to accompany with this approach…if that makes sense.

Maybe I just capture a few bars and let a resampled 4 bars of a piece I want to design drum patterns for occupy a track so that I have a frame of reference…I know I could decouple the process and just freely make lots of drum loops…maybe better!

Been messing with the Cult of SP1200 and Caught On Tape projects: love the way these are setup - sounds, fx and scenes.

Do you find yourself approaching patterns in a methodical way or more like just making lots you like?