Which semi-modular?

I’ve got the urge to get myself a semi-modular. So far the 0-coast and the mother-32 look interesting. Any other suggestions? I will be using my octatrack to sequence it.

Here’s a list to check through:

2 Likes

probably this is what you are after:

2 Likes

SE Tonestar 2600 appeals to me most. And SUB osc!
I love the Arp sound, and the “outs to outs” variations it is capable of are fun. Definitely more than meets the eye.
32HP fits right into affordable Doepfer Mini Case, though if OT is sequencer you’ll need a MIDI to CV converter.

2 Likes

I’m a sucker for semi-modulars & have had quite a few…

settled on my 3 x keepers now though :

Moog Mother 32 …well two of them to be precise… makes the perefect Moog instrument IMHO. all that classic low growl & classy moog tone, a wicked filter ( better than my Voyager) a somewhat finicky but useful sequencer…& loads
of really well thought out patching options. Build quality is also stellar.

T.O SEM Pro : Midi & patchpoints covers all the bases. pure SEM cream, all sweet-spot. for just solid sound quality the best analogue tone I’ve ever played. A thing of beauty.

But…fallen madly for my latest : Korg MS-20M. classic,killer sound & great build quality on these full-size beasts. the patch panel is oddly quirky as per the original ( no OSC outs for example ) but massively creative too…with a few differences to the original keyboard version. Had an original MS20 back in the day, had forgotten what total beasts they are. The desktop MS-20M kit is getting harder to track down now though, guess the s/h market may yield one.

3 Likes

It’s a great time to be shopping for a semimod. Absolutely amazing units available and can’t go wrong with any of them, imo.

(fingers crossed mutable gets in the game)

1 Like

I got a Voyager XL for sale if that is if interest. Its in the sales forum.

• Alex

I enjoy mucking about with my MS-20 Mini and have been tempted by the 0-Coast.

However, I just backed the Folktek Mescaline project so that takes me out of the market for a while. I’m a sucker for ambient soundscape/noisescape stuff so this appealed to me.

Might be worth holding out to see what Superbooth brings. I have no idea myself, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few more semi-modulars announced.

Too much choice! I’ve just discovered the phenol. Any love for the phenol on elektronauts?

I like the phenol, looks cool, very mad scientist aesthetic, but the Banana Cables is a kinda annoying.

Dreadbox Erebus and Nix
Analog Solutions Telemetry or Telemark

3 Likes

The O-Coast and the Moog Mother-32 are very different instruments. Where the Mother-32 is more or less following the traditional path of subtractive synthesis, the O-Coast provides also some typical elements of West-Coast style synthesis and we get an interesting mix of East/West-Coast synthesis.

Result … both live in complete different worlds … sound-wise :wink:

To add only one, which has not yet mentioned, I think … Pittsburg Modular Lifeforms.

IMO you get high quality sound from Moog, Make-Noise, Dreadbox, Pittsburg, Tonestar, Kilpatrik, Analog Solutions, you name it. My suggestion would be, listen to them and pick the one that you like most and start making sounds and music with it.

Maybe … after a while, you might end up having a nice collection. :wink:

This one, every time!

2 Likes

I am secretly in love with the 0-Coast and want one. :confused:

2 Likes

I’ve just ordered an 0-coast. Can’t wait!

3 Likes

Also… I just saw this earlier today. The /r/synthesizers reddit has a spreadsheet tracking various synthesizers/etc and they now have a tab in that spreadsheet dedicated to ‘Full Voice Modulars’. There are ones out there like the Intellijel Atlantis that seem really solid but get forgotten as they’re a couple years older than SV-1, 0-Coast, Mother32. (I had actually forgotten about the Atlantis because for some reason I thought it was a limited-run module).

1 Like

Me too!

1 Like

Just got a Korg MS-20 mini and I really like it! Now i’m just wondering how to get it to sequence/sync with my Elektrons!!

1 Like

Good decision and I am sure that you will have much fun. This synth is very versatile :smiley: