Which semi-modular?

Congrats from a fellow MS-20 Mini owner.

So far all I’ve done with it is make drone/ambient stuff and mess around with self-generating noises - no real attempts at sequencing yet. I might just sequence via MIDI from the Octatrack. I’ve heard of various workarounds for the limited MIDI implementation of the MS-20 Mini (only responds to MIDI note number - that’s it) - one idea I might explore is using my KMI QuNexus as a MIDI-CV converter, with the QuNexus CV used for modulation rather than pitch. Thus:

OT -> MS-20 for pitch only (MIDI note number)
OT-> QuNexus -> MS-20 for modulation or even just gate, so filter activity or whatever is in sync w/ the OT.

1 Like

I’m in love with my Korg MS-20M. I especially like her 4 little knobs in the filter section. I can spend several hours on them salivating :slight_smile:

Details of my setup: Who's using an A4 cv to Modular?

4 Likes

The 0-coast is a beauty, no doubt. I’d be keen to check out the Behringer Model D, when it becomes more widely available. At that price ($300), it’d be tough to beat.

Im gonna trade my analog four mki for a mother 32 and a plankton ants this coming week, first time with modulars so really excited to see what kind of fun it offers! Anyonre got any tips regarding using these two synths together?

+1 for the Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms Black Box, I am having so much fun with it and my Digitakt.

2 Likes

+1 for the SEM, the 0-Coast will just be a stopgap to euro. :wink:

1 Like

A pairing of the M32 and 0 Coast is bringing me immense joy at he moment

Been CV sequencing my MS-20mini and Mother-32 with the Analog 4. Pretty cool! But now it’s making want to go full eurorack!!

Did you have this a while, Adam, back in your Eurorack days? I know it’s some time ago, but there’s very little mentions here. Would recommend in hindsight?

I really love the sound of my recent Barp2600. The idea of having that sound with me - even with some of the self patching weirdness, maybe with my Doepfer random S&H next to it - in my small rack is super appealing.

(In general, now I’m practicing live improvising more these days, I’m finding that semi modular full voices are a bit easier to keep track of)

I did not. I went with an Atlantis instead, but only briefly.

1 Like

Thanks

I still say got for it!
There are more small case options now too with 4ms pods.

Follow your bliss!

1 Like

Yeah I think I might at some point. I have a 6U case actually. Which I like, but is filled with loads of individual modules which makes for more expensive yet more difficult to overview when improvising. So I might introduce this one and exit some other modules. 2600 is such a good sound to me.

1 Like

Cascadia or two taigas? Go!

1 Like

I’d say Cascadia, but only b/c I have a hard enough time focusing on one machine.

What about Cascadia vs Taiga + Strega + 0-Coast?

1 Like

Cascadia :p, that utility strip is awesome.

1 Like

I’d say Cascadia also. For me two Taigas would be less desirable than one plus something else, though I would have to think carefully about what else.

1 Like

I’ve been running a setup recently with Minibrute + 0-Coast + Strega, plus effects pedals, mostly for doing very slowly evolving drone things involving a lot of real-time performance. This is a pretty nice combo. I think the MN stuff with the Taiga would probably be good too.

I will often use the MB for converting Euro output level to line level and use one of the MN headphones outputs to feed the other one. Lots of fun with Strega ‘external substance’ where you can gain boost something, mess it up with the time/filter, and also put the clean audio through the dynamics on 0-Coast. A cheap radio or cassette player is a nice addition to your Strega too.

I have been wondering about adding another semi-modular to the setup or whether I should go full Euro. I always seem to want a couple more cycling envelopes, slower/more random LFOs, and more sound sources wouldn’t hurt either. Any recommendations for what to add here? I find the patching really addictive but I find the choices and expenses of Euro to be a little hard to navigate.

2 Likes

I have no personal experience with Taiga (besides lots of reading and demo watching) but it strikes me as a reasonable addition to what you have (certainly more reasonable than full Euro), as long as you’re aware of its quirks (like read through the whole Taiga thread here and on MW, and watch all the demos).

1 Like

No contest. Cascadia.

2 Likes