Modern Analog Synths- The Elektronauts List

Since so many people ask, I figured I’d compile a list to direct them to- and it’s fun to consolidate 6-12 months of fevered synth Googling into a single page. Please, let me know what I forgot:

*“Analog” is defined as a synth with at least one digitally controlled analog oscillator (DCO) or one VCO. Strict hybrids (meaning analog filtering/processing but no analog oscillators) aren’t being considered for this post (mostly because people don’t come around asking “Hey what’s the best hybrid I can use with the 4 Elektron boxes I just got within the last month- I don’t have enough to learn already!”), but items with digital oscillators and at least one DCO/VCO will be listed._

** On that note, the list does not include 303 clones, DIY synths or FULLY modular foundations/modules. I will probably list all the standalone modular systems that are cropping up soon…

***Note: many prices are based on Euro/Ukp–>USD, not actual cost to American buyers.

ONE LAST THING: I want to invite anyone to offer a short 2-3 sentence overview of any of the items in this list. If you bought it on the second hand market, it would be really helpful if you let everyone know how much you paid. Also, be sure to indicate if you bought the item as a compliment to an Elektron item, how well it fared in that regard, and if you still have it. If you sold it, how much? I’ll insert all the short reviews and second hand market data I gather into the above list and also, eventually, into a .PDF if anyone wants it to stare at on long train rides or something =).

If we keep updating the list each year, we’ll have a ton of wisdom and first hand knowledge most people are desperate for once their catch the hardware bug (I mean, I probably spent more time buying and selling gear and learning how to use the wrong stuff for what I wanted to do than I did making music until a few months ago!).

Used price is simply what was reported to the community on a purchase or sale. Meant only to be a rough estimation of the second hand market for the products

••Elektronauts’ List of All Presently Manufactured Analog Synthesizers•

A.
______Analog Monosynths_____________ Retail: USD*2nd Hand:

3-Osc[u][b]:

[/b][/u]
Korg Volca Bass (keys/sequencer)…$149
Waldorf Pulse 2 (paraphonic)- $700
MFB Kraftwerg II (semi-modular…$800
MFB Dominion X (semi-modular) $900
MFB Dominion X SED (semi-modular)…$1,150
MFB Dominion 1 $1,700
Aroura AR57- (keys)…$1,600
Studio Electronics SE-1x $1,650
Moog Voyager RME (rack) …$2,696
MacBeth Micromac- (semi-modular) $2,600
Moog Voyager (keys)…$3,095
Cwejman s1MkII (semi-modular/rack) $3,600
Moog Voyager XL(keys, semi-modular)…$4,995
GRP A4 (semi-modular/sequencer)- $5,000

2-Osc:

Dave Smith Instruments MoPho… $399
Dubreq Stylophone S2 (touch+stylus) $480
Novation BassStation 2 (keys/sequencer) $499
MFB Microwerg II (semi-modular)- $550
Atomosynth Krakken (keys)- $550
Korg MS-20 Mini (keys)- $599
Dave Smith Evolver…$599…$465
(2 DCO + 2 Digital Oscillators)

Moog Minitaur $599
Vermona Mono Lancet…$620
Moog Slim Phatty $795
Dave Smith Instruments MoPho (keys)…$849
Studio Electronics Boomstar $899
Tom Oberheim SEM- i… $899
Moog Sub Phatty- $999 (keys)
Tom Oberheim SEM Pro (semi-modular
/MIDI-CV converter
)…$1199

Future Retro XS…$1,200…$1,000
Analog Solutions Telemark v2
(Semi-Modular)] $1,250
Analog Solutions Leipzig-S (sequencer/
rack mount
)… .$1,320
Studio Electronics ATC-Xi $1,500
Analog Solutions Telemark K
(Keys, Semi-Modular)…$1,800
Analog Solutions Leipzig-SK (Keys, Sequencer) $1,800

COMMUNITY NOTES:

@pre55ure reports:

Future Retro XS:
Great synth for snappy basses, really fast envelopes, nice filter (reminds me a little bit of the MS-20 filter but with less grit- not in a bad way-) Lot’s of modulation routings and semi modular. Can be controlled by both Midi and CV so it pairs well with OT and A4. Additionally, A4 can also make use of a lot of it’s modular patch points- individual osc outs, filter and osc mod inputs etc… This is my current “Go to” synth. Super quick to dial in, good range of timbres , and almost always sounds great.

DSI Desktop Evolver:

Very unique synth, great for strange noises, evolving sequences, interesting sounds etc… Has 4 onboard sequencers that can be used to modulate almost anything and that sync to external clock. The sequencers are similar to Elektron’s P-locks in that they can allow almost all parameters of the synth to change on every step. Overall has a very gritty digital biting texture to most of what comes out of it. (Reminds me a lot of early skinny puppy). Not as good at doing “normal” synth sounds. Filters are ok but not great, envelopes are a little slow. Overall, it’s great if you use it towards it strengths- but not the best “all rounder”.

1-Osc:

Korg MONOTRIBE (sequencer)- $175
Arturia Microbrute- $299 (*November)
AtomoSynth Mochika XL (sequencer)- $350
MFB Nanowerg- $350
eowave DOMINO- $370
Artuira Minibrute- (keys) $499
Doepfer Dark Energy II (semi-modular)- $600
eowave MAGMA (sequencer)- $725

B.
Analog Polysynth_

[ul]
[li]Korg Volca Keys (paraphonic/touch keys/sequencer)- $149[/li]
[li]Dave Smith Instruments Tetra (4 voice)- $849[/li]
[li]Dave Smith Instruments Mopho x4 (Keys)- $1,200[/li]
[li]Vermona Perfourmer v2- (4 voice)- $1,800[/li]
[li]Dave Smith Instruments Tempest- (6-voice, 2 dig. 2 analog oscillator polysynth +drumsynthª; see below)- $2,000[/li]
[li]MFB Dominion 5 (Keys) (coming 2014)- ???[/li]
[li]Dave Smith Instruments Prophet '08 Module- $1,550[/li]
[li]Dave Smith Instruments Prophet '08 Keys- $2,100[/li]
[li]Studio Electronics Omega 2/4/6/8- $2,600/3,650/4,000/5,000[/li]
[li]Dave Smith Instruments Poly Evolver PE (Keys/sequencer)- $2,750[/li]
[li]Studio Electronics Code 2/4/8- $2,900/3,850/5,500[/li]
[li]Tom Oberheim 2-Voice (Keys) $3,400[/li]
[li]Tom Oberheim Son of a 4-Voice $4,000[/li]
[li]Schmidt 8-Voice Poly Analog (Keys)- $20,000[/li]
[/ul]

C.
Misfits/Misc.____

[ul]
[li]Elektron Analog 4 (4 mono voices, sequencer)- $1,400[/li]
[li]Buchla Music Easel (touch keys, “advanced oscillator and modulation oscillator”, semi-modular)- $3,700[/li]
[li]Grendel Drone Commander (2 osc. analog drone synth)- $360[/li]
[li]Ekdahl Polygamist (2 oscillator/duophonic/ribbon controller/noise/glitch/drone synth)- $1450 warning: the demos will make you deaf- take off your headphones![/li]
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]Metasonix S-2000 (tube synth w/ 2 analog oscillators/ribbion controller)- $1,500[/li]
[/ul]

D.
______________________Analog Percussion:___________________________

Drum Machines*

[ul]
[li]Korg Volca Beats- $149[/li]
[li]Korg Monotribe (see above)[/li]
[li]Delptronics LDB-1- $240[/li]
[li]MFB 522- $425[/li]
[li]Vermona DRM-1 MKIII- $825-$1120[/li]
[li]MFB Tanzbar- $1,100-$1,300[/li]
[li]Acidlab Miami- $1,400[/li]
[li]Metasonix D-1000 (4 instrument/vaccum-tube)- $1,500[/li]
[li]Jomox XBase 888- $1,500 DISCONTINUED. Still in stock some places so now is your last chance for the Jomox version of the 808(ish)![/li]
[li]Confirmed by @monoman via the person in charge at Jomox- Jürgen Michaelis! Who, I just now realized probably just took his initials and dropped them into the first two x on “x0x0x” and Jomox was born![/li]
[li]Jomox XBase 999- $1,850 [/li]
[li]Dave Smith Instruments Tempestª [/li]
[/ul]
*all analog drum machines available have internal sequencers except for the DRM-1 and the D-1000.

Drum Modules

[ul]
[li]Jomox Mbase 11 (Kick)- $329[/li]
[li]Jomox Mbrane 11 (Snare)- $349[/li]
[li]Vermona Kick Lancet- $359[/li]
[li]VG line BD 9Q9- ???[/li]
[/ul]

Nice list!

Just a note - the volca keys and the pulse 2 are both technically paraphonic.
Also I’m pretty sure the minbrute only has one oscillator.

I didn’t realize just how big the selection has gotten over the past couple of years.

What about the Cwejman S1 MK II, a very nice and and complex semi-modular analog Monosynth??? and probably one of the best out there…

fwiw, I’m in the US and paid $1025 for an MFB Tanzbaer 3 weeks ago.
Love that thing, also.

Yeah ordering from MFB direct is much cheaper- the retailers are cashing in on the hype. I adjusted the $.

Cwejman added. I totally forgot about it. Would love to get my hands on one of those!

The normal not XL Moog Voyager is missing, as well as the Moog Voyager RME the Rack version.

You listed the Vermona Perfourmer Mk2 as poly synth which is correct, but it can either be a 4 voice, 3 voice, duophonic or monophonic be played.

The x4 from DSI is not called Tera x4 but Mopho x4.

Thank you.

Alesis Andromeda 6
Radikal Technologies Spectralis
Mutable instruments Shruti, Anushra and Ambika

The Andromeda is discontinued. Considering there are a metric ton of discontinued analog synths, I had to draw the line somewhere or the list would just be “every analog synth ever made”.

The Spectralis doesn’t have analog oscillators (nor do the Ambika or Shruthi-1- but I decided not to list DIY stuff here because I’ll probably compile a list for that stuff too). I’ll probably throw in a section for hybrid synths eventually.

Did you have to pay any customs fees? I saw a US vendor selling them for $1200; I know that 750 euros is roughly $1020. I might be able to get one from a US vendor for $1100… I’m afraid customs/shipping/tax fees will be over $80. What shipping method did MFB use? They have no info on their site regarding any of this (frustratingly).
thanks!

Fixed!

Decided to just leave the paraphonics where they are but make a (paraphonic) notation. I believe the DSI Evolver is also paraphonic.

Yes- the Minibrute is one Oscillator- huh… Every time I played with a demo unit it just sounded like massive distortion and static box so I walked away quick!

Also, if you ever purchase one of these items used, please let me know what you paid- I’d like to have estimated used prices up there eventually.

Analogue Solutions - Leipzig
Analogue Solutions – Telemark
Analogue Solutions – Vostok

Dave Smith Prophet 12

1 Like

Buchla Music Easel
DSI Prophet 8
Grp A4
Jomox XBase 888
Metasonix D-1000
Metasonix S-2000
Studio Electronics ATC X
Studio Electronics Code 2/4/8
Studio Electronics SE1X

1 Like

Got the 1st 2. Vostok is technically modular so it isn’t on the list.

The P12 only has digital oscillators so, as I explained in the heading of the list, it doesn’t make the cut (I own one- doesn’t need them =).

@nightfade-

Just added the missing Studio Electronics, Metasonix stuff as you were posting. Adding the GRP A4 and XBase 888. Already had the the Buchla, and the Prophet '08 is not longer being manufactured.

Also, to my knowledge the Studio Electronics ATC series are analog stereo filter banks, not synths

Thanks for the help everyone! The list is looking pretty comprehensive!

Might have to include a section for hybrids and modular standalones like the Vostok and Tinysizer.

1 Like

How about this weirdo synth – Pigtronix Mothership? I am pretty sure it can operate standalone.
http://www.pigtronix.com/products/mothership/

The ATC-Xi is indeed a two oscillator synth, I had no idea about the Prophet '08 though!
What about the Ekdahl Polygamist? The list is looking great btw :slight_smile:

The Korg Volca Bass is actually 3 oscillators–just rec’vd it.
Technically, the Minibrute has an all important separate sub oscillator…and the Minibrute only sounds way over distorted because people tend to have the oscillator levels, drive, way too high…magic happens below 45%.
Nice list.

Also, the DSI Prophet 08 IS NOT discontinued. Only the Special Edition Run a while back of 300 was. The DSI Poly Evolver WAS just discontinued as well as the DSI MEK-Mono Evolver Keyboard.

See here from DSI:

Instruments
MophoMonophonic desktop analog synthesizer module[url=“http://davesmithinstruments.com/products/mophokey/”]Mopho Keyboard SynthesizerMonophonic analog synthesizer[url=“http://davesmithinstruments.com/products/mophox4/index.php”]Mopho x4 Keyboard SynthesizerFour-voice polyphonic analog keyboard synthesizer [url=“http://davesmithinstruments.com/products/tetra/”]TetraPolyphonic desktop analog synthesizer module [url=“http://davesmithinstruments.com/products/p8m/index.php”][url=“http://davesmithinstruments.com/products/p8pe/”]Prophet '08 PE Keyboard Synthesizer Eight-voice analog synthesizer keyboard[url=“http://davesmithinstruments.com/products/p8m/”]Prophet '08 PE Synthesizer ModuleEight-voice analog synthesizer module[url=“http://davesmithinstruments.com/products/prophet12/”]Prophet 12 Keyboard SynthesizerTwelve-voice hybrid digital/analog synthesizer keyboard[url=“http://davesmithinstruments.com/products/med/”]EvolverMonophonic desktop analog/digital synthesizer module [url=“http://davesmithinstruments.com/products/pek/”]Poly Evolver PE KeyboardFour-voice analog/digital synthesizer[url=“http://davesmithinstruments.com/products/tempest/”]TempestAnalog drum machine
Discontinued Products
Poly Evolver ModuleFour-voice rackmount analog/digital synthesizerMono Evolver PE KeyboardMonophonic analog/digital synthesizerProphet '08 Special EditionSigned, limited edition of 300

Ah, well that makes sense, considering that the other two flagships are much more digital. Fixed.

@nightfade

Before today I knew almost nothing about Studio Electronics except that the SDE-1 is a pretty good replacement for a Minimoog. I guess all the filters on the ATC-Xi could bring out a lot of range- but meh. The new Boomstars are $500 less and sound better.

@mantiwhore- while I may lose sleep over not completing the list, I have a responsibility to all the analog rookies not to steer them towards anything less than a respectable synthesizer!

If I’m not mistaken, I believe the Jomox 888 is no longer available/in production. The 999 is (which has been listed as well in the bigger list).

EDIT: scratch that … it’s available at the Jomox web shop, so … yeah, n/m