0-coast vs. Mother32 vs. Pittsbugh Sv1

Hello friends. As the title points out, I try to decide between these 3. Obvious they are all semimodular monosynths, and I think they are all great. I’d love to have an analog hands-on monosynth with some patching/experimenting options.
The make noise looks most interesting to me, since it’s not a subtractive synth and I guess has a unique sound.
The pittsburgh also seems to be capable of some special sounds with it’s crossmod/fm features.
And the mother… well it’s a moog, bulletproof sound and as far as I can tell from videos it has also quite lots of options for experiments and it has that onboard sequencer…
So it would be great to have enough options for experimenting and sound design, but also a great sound, where it doesn’t take too long to obtain musical results (basses, leads).
So I guess my question is… Can somebody make a comparison of these 3 and is the 0-coast suitable for rather musical sounds. Especially bass sounds would be interesting for me. Thanks for any input!

I own the O-coast and also tested the pitburgh and Mother. The Pitsburg has lots of options (by far the most of the 3), but the system I had my hands on had some contact issues with the output, something I cant tolerate for 800 Euros. The Mother is solid built and sounds damn good, despite it only has one oscillator. The sequencer is a bit fidly to work with. but in the end the sound was too close to my sub 37. So I chose the o-coast, which is especially usefull do design percussive sounds (thanks to the ultra fast envelope) and drones. It can also play itself (google for Krell Patch), so its definitely on the experimental side of sound creation. It complements my other analog gear the best, and is great to get new sounds for my sampler through lucky accidents. though the price could have been 200 Euros less. You pay a lot extra to get some boutique uniqness.

cheers,
goat

3 Likes

I am also interested in this topic. Subscribed!

I own the M32. I for the most part adore it. It’s got that classic Moog character and the sound can stay together through however much FX you drench it in. I don’t love it for leads - too Moogy - and sometimes I tire of the Moog sound. But then I put FX on or turn up the FM and/or drop it an octave or two, start twisting knobs and we’re best friends again.

But I have an OT which can obviously sequence (and does not play nice with the M32s onboard sequencer). So I wonder if I’m not missing more by paying for the sequencer?

I would never consider replacing it with a West Coast synth, however attractive the OCoast is (extremely). So that leaves me with the SV-1

HOWEVER

and I’ve read about other issues with quality.

So. I’ll stick with the M32 for awhile longer.

At the mo, until Pittsburg works out quality issues, IMO, the question is between the M32 and OCoast

.[quote=“Unifono, post:1, topic:33248”]
Especially bass sounds would be interesting for me.
[/quote]

It’s Moog. It does bass like nobody’s business.

3 Likes

Yeah that’ s a strong argument for the mother. And have to admit I love those moog basses. Although moog bass is everywhere. That’ s why I’m wondering about the bass from a west coast synth.

I’m totally in agreement with you. Conflicted myself. Either synth will make you a very happy music maker.

Thanks. I’ve watched some videos about the self playing patches, that’s definitively exciting.

Have a look at some of the videos by Rheyne. They’re not exactly extensive, but nice to compare side by side the Mother 32 and 0 Coast.

2 Likes

interesting topic!!! Subscribed too!!

I was also thinking about a Mother … but because the A4 can send CV out to modular, I ended up with some OSC, a VCA and a Filter… and the MI Clouds. If you have an A4, that would be also a good and maybe cheaper option for you! As the A4 can also send out envelopes … all you need is a OSC + VCA + Filter in a Dopfer Minicase. Costs around 400 - 500 EUR on Ebay.

But on the other hand I still thinking about a Mother or the Lifeforms too. Good demos on Youtube. On the other hand, the 0-coast has some unique features, but most of the sound demos I listen to are whobble dubstep kind of sounds which I don’t like that much. If somebody has some good videos / sound demos - would be great to share!

Surely you watched these already, but in case you didn’t…

1 Like

btw. would also bring in the Doepfer Dark Energy as an alternative to the Mother!

Thanks. yes I watched those several times as almost every of his reviews :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dreadbox Eerebus too. And MS20mini, if we’re going cray.

1 Like

yes I have an A4. And I thought about buying some modules about a 100 times. Especially the mutable stuff looks just too awesome. But I don’t want to spend all my money and I guess this would happen if I start a rack.
That’s why I think a semimodular would be a compromise even if it’s still dangerous :slight_smile:
These 3 look very very promising.

3 Likes

Totally with you on this subject @Unifono
:smile:

0-Coast is the most tempting, to me.
But I already have a Slim Phatty, so less interested in a M32. Or any subtractive monosynth for that matter…

1 Like

I didn’t know about Krell Patches - hunting more information down now; thanks for the tip!

1 Like

I have a 0-Coast and absolutely love it, but I’m lusting after the SV-1 and will probably pick one up within the next year or so to compliment the 0C. The M32 seems really uninspiring to me.

1 Like

I’ll try to get my hands on in a shop within the next weeks. The problem is that the moog could blow my mind within seconds and that I might have not enough time to dig deep enough into the 0-coast :smiley: But this west coast stuff can sound very inspiring. I only tried the west coast modules in Reaktor 6 so far.
By the way the erebus looks also nice, but I heard it’s pretty unstable regarding tuning.

The sounds are great in this video. The 0-coast sound here reminds me of the latest Autechre album somehow.

Obviously they are all great. I have the 0-coast and one thing I like about it is that you can see which outputs are normalized. So you get more visual feedback. I prefer that to the layout of the Moog. I also think that the Moog ‘sound’ has been overdone and when I tested the Sub 37 I thought it sounded more like a VST (but that’s just me).

1 Like

I thought the Sub 37 sounded huge. But I also think Ni Monark sounds really great.
Just watched this video again. Some patches are very impressive, including the bass and kick sounds.

1 Like