Taiga from Pittsburgh Modular

This is what I’m doing right now: I recently picked up a pre-owned 0-Coast in a trade, my first “real” semimodular. I really admire the Taiga, so I’m going to try the 0-Coast as a way to gauge whether semimodulars are a good fit for me. If I love using 0-Coast and make cool stuff, then maybe a Taiga would also be a good fit down the road, but if the 0-Coast goes largely unused, that tells me a lot. Following this progression, maybe a Cascadia someday, but I won’t spend >$2K figuring it out.

2 Likes

Nice. I’ve read about a lot of people kicking themselves for not getting one when they had the chance…

1 Like

Some semi-modulars are “more modular” than others. I wouldn’t judge the Taiga (or any other semi-modular) based on the 0-coast.

The Intellijel Atlantis, for example, really needs other modules and utilities to to do interesting things with it outside it’s default architecture,

I’ve own/ed the following semi modulars

• MS-20 mini :-1:
  • Intellijel Atlantis :+1:
  • Voltage research Lab :heart:
  • Cascadia :heart::heart:
  • Volca Modular (this one hits way above its price point!) :heart:

The MS-20 mini was my first semi-modular and I didn’t get along with it, and ended up never using it.
a few years later I got the Voltage Research Lab and absolutely loved it. Same with the Cascadia
(the Cascadia’s utilities and comprehensive Envelopes make it absolutely amazing to patch with.)

I wouldn’t judge the Taiga (or any other semi-modular) based on the 0-coast.

Sorry, I must not have been clear. I’m not judging the Taiga at all. Just explaining how I found a less expensive way to evaluate whether I enjoy the experience of trying weird patches.

2 Likes

Yeah I think the makenoise semimodular stuff is pretty brilliant, they make it really feel like an instrument and not just a ready made modular. I think a good affordable counterpoint to try is the pico system 3, kinda of a more raw modular experience, no built in attenuation you need to make use of your limited supply of mixers. Between the two you will get a really good idea of where you might miss a nicely placed attenuator or where you might wish for some random utility.

1 Like

Being this is a Taiga thread there is relevance to discussion of Taiga’s qualities vs other semis. But may I suggest a thread like the one below for a “which semi” discussion :

4 Likes

Thanks a lot, friendo :slight_smile:

I think I should get the Taiga to at least get a taste of what modular can offer.
At present my modular=0, but I have the Werkstatt, K-2 and MS-20Kit which allow limited connectivity.

I have been oohing and aawing on whether to go modular since at least 2017, but have not acted on it, as I am have been vetoing almost all of my synth purchases.

The last synth I bought was a Modwave in September 2021, and before two Abyss in 2018, so my MTBS (mean time between synths) is fairly long.

As I DIY my own S&Hs, I think I could do well with the Taiga!

2 Likes

Got the Taiga here for a while, and this dfamy acidy thing is the first thing I came up with. Syntakt is just sending Midi. Enjoy :wink:

10 Likes

I’m also a fan. It’s feels very friendly as you’re learning to use it.

Has anyone else noticed that the knobs have the same colour palette as the Pittsburgh Steelers’ logo? Surely a deliberate choice, methinks!

1 Like

Has anyone encountered the following problem with their Taiga?

After a few days of leaving mine in its box, when I switch it on (with only the power connected, no MIDI, no patch or audio cables), it appears to start up in a frozen state.

There are random wave LEDs and a few others illuminated but none of the little black buttons anywhere on the device respond. I think the analogue circuit is active but it’s like the digital control component is inactive.

Turning it off, waiting 20 seconds and turning on again makes no difference.

The only reliable solution I’ve found is to perform the factory reset (three-button salute), switch off and then on again. This returns the Taiga to an apparently fully working state. However, if I leave the unit off for a day or so, I’m back to the frozen-on-power-up situation.

I’ve never encountered anything like that, and that sounds weird. Contact technical support – they are very responsive and helpful.

1 Like

Ticket submitted!

:rofl:

2 Likes

Die Inspiration hier waren die äußerst bunten Adjektive aus den AMAZONA.de Kommentarspalten zu modularen Synthesizern.

Heh

1 Like

I think I too saw the implied “…or GTFO!” Nice review and sounds!

2 Likes

Similar to some other synths, the Taiga does not like the OT MIDI clock.
I also had trouble getting the Taiga’s cc/mod wheel assign procedure to respond to cc from the OT, it just would not ‘hear’ when i was using the OT to assign cc#1 as the active source. Weirdly, i used another midi sequencer to set the cc# to 1, then plugged the OT back in and presto, the Taiga is responding to cc from the OT. Very strange.

EDIT: another oddity- the Taiga did not remember the CC setting after a power down like it should. But it does recognise the MIDI note Velocity from the OT and the output from the Velocity out jack works as expected. I don’t get it at all.

1 Like

What modules should I pair with the Taiga for a smallish skiff? What would really add utility or potential to the synth voice? Ignoring purely fx based options or anything that would go after/not interact directly

This will quickly go off topic.
Look for “semi-modular” in the forum, start a new thread or… get an A4 :wink:

9 Likes

Maybe a slightly unconventional answer:

1. Buy a function generator module – e.g. Frap Falistri, Make Noise Maths, or others. This will provide you with more envelopes, LFOs, and even more oscillators to your Taiga

2. Buy a Mordax Data – this will help you “see” your CV and audio signals and enhance your understanding of how everything works together

3. Don’t buy anything else until you’re intimately familiar with the Taiga plus (1) and (2) above

8 Likes