Using Octatrack with Digitone

Hi,

New user here. Here is my setup :

• Keyboard controller midi out goes into Octatrack midi in
  • Octatrack midi out goes into Digitone midi in

I’ve setup Octa’s midi track 4 to control digitone on channel 11, so when i select Octa’s Midi Track 4, i expected to be able to use my keyboard to play the Digitone.

I’ve setup Digitone Track 1, 2, 3 and 4 to midi channel 11.

What i expected : when i play a note on my keyboard with synth T1 selected on Digitone, only this track will sound.

What is happening : when i play a note on my keyboard with synth T1 selected on Digiteon, ALL synth tracks (1-4) sounds simultaneously.

What should i do to achieve the desired behaviour which is : if i select T1, i want only this track plays when i play the keyboard.

Thanks !

Leave the tracks on their respective channels and use whatever your Auto Channel is set to. I think the reason its playing all the tracks is because if you set T1, T2, T3 and T4 to channel 11, then you send midi to channel 11, all the tracks are talking to that channel.

When I use the auto channel it plays whatever track I have selected at the moment. Just make sure that none of the Tracks is set to the same channel as Auto Channel.

3 Likes

Thanks, this did the trick :smiley:

2 Likes

Please another noob question…

When i play my keyboard, Digitone is playing the notes i press. But when i try to record something, the notes i press although sounding, are not recorded.

Actually even when i try to record notes using the Digi ‘keyboard’ the notes are not being recorded…

UPDATE : The notes are being recorded, i can see the steps ‘red’ in the step sequencer, but they won’t play when i hit the play button.

Is there any config i need to do ?

Are you trying to record by pressing Rec+Play? if you do this the notes should be inputed live and recorded into the trigs.

If you want to program every note step by step you need to press Rec then manually input the notes on the corresponding step you want them in.

Actually i could see the notes are being recorded, i can see the steps ‘red’ in the step sequencer, but they won’t play when i hit the play button…

Make sure the track is not muted, even if the track is muted you can still play the keyboard live but the recorded sequence will be muted until you unmute.

4 Likes

Ohh my bad, that’s was the case… Sorry for my noobness :joy:

2 Likes

np, its the only way to learn the machine!

3 Likes

I’m having issues sending program changes from the Octa to Digitone.

Currently i have the Octa as master and both Digitone and Rytm as slave. I program patterns in Digi / Rytm to match the patterns programmed in Octa ; for instance, A4 in Octa would trigger A4 both in Rytm and Digi. So in arrange mode, i have A3 and after, A4.

In Octa’s arrange mode, this works fine with the Rytm. But with Digitone, somehow the program change is being accepted by Digitone ‘delayed’, it will change to A4 after some seconds only. Then the pattern A4 is played by Digitone out of sync.

Is there any configuration i should try on the Digitone to fix that ? If it’s working in Rytm, as far as i know should work on the Digi too right ?

1 Like

file a bug report. all u can do.

they said it was fixed in a recent update but with my emxperiments its not. for some users it seems to work though…

Oh man that’s what i’m afraid of… I was hopping it could be some wrong configuration :frowning:

It could be wrong configuration, I use the digitone and octatrack and don’t have this problem. Make sure your Pattern Length and Pattern Scale match on both machines as this is often where trouble starts.

1 Like

have you tried with advanced patten lenght… the mode where the patterns have different lenghts? for me that is where it stops working. of course ch. len is set to 16 steps.

Well this is weird, but after i turned off all my gear and turned it on again a few hours later, now the program changes are working correctly… Don’t know what happened, i will observe the next days to see if the problem is really fixed. Thank you guys !

1 Like

It works if pattern length and scale are all the same, but not with different pattern lengths, at least not consistently. So that narrows down the issue.
I just keep everything the same, no advanced pattern.

Yes, they are the same, the problem happens only in Digitone, not in Rytm Mk2. Now it happened again, i turned off and on, and worked again… Confused what is causing the issue.

I discovered something new. When the problem happens, actually i don’t need to reboot the Digitone ; if i just stop the Octa and press Stop on the Digitone twice, when i play the Octa again, the Digitone will play correctly. It seems when i press Stop only on the Octa, somehow although the Digi also stops, when i press Play again on Octa, the Digi will start playing out of sync ; i need to press Stop on the Digi twice and press play on the Octa again…

Confusing :stuck_out_tongue:

are you sure youre sending and receiving transport and clock?

for me this problem is also totally random. it worked somethimes, for a short period of time (even with advanced pattern), then again not. whithout me changing any settings in between. usually it doesnt work though.