Octatrack MKII + Digitone Sequencing

Hey all, first time posting, so a quick thanks to this this forum for being so useful for an Elektron newbie! I’ve managed to find answers to all of my questions browsing this forum (and the manuals ofc.!), but a couple of things have me stumped a little, so I’ll try and keep it [as] brief [as i can].

Currently running Octatrack and Digitone (latest OSes).

First Thing - Using the Sequencer on the Digitone, Sync and Transport Slaved to OT

Sending clock and transport to Digitone from Octatrack over MIDI, DN set up to receive clock and sync. (Channels for this set to 12 since I read somewhere that Auto isn’t the best).

DN goes back into a Thru machine on the OT.

1. I find that when I hit play, often the first midi note on the DN sequence doesn’t play. Anyone know why this might be?
  2. When I hit [STOP] on the Octatrack, the Digitone does stop, it pauses. (This means that when I change banks or patterns on the OT, they don’t change on the DN unless I hit stop on the DN too, is this normal?)
  3. When changing patterns on the OT whilst playing, the Digitone doesn’t change patterns at the same time, i.e. there’s always a delay. (I’ve read a lot on this, kept pattern lengths the same etc., but there’s always at least 2 steps delay, or it doesn’t change at all, I’m really stuck with this)

Second Thing - Using OT midi sequencer to DN

So I gave up on the DN being a reliable slave to the OT, and decided to just use it’s sound engine.

1. I’m playing long(er) midi notes, so the p-lock when I’ve played it in is note length INF - fine fine, so I added a trig to play the same note at velocity 0, expecting this to stop the note when I change the pattern, but it doesn’t. So then I tried the same with LEN at 0. I also tried this on the first note of the next pattern, but that didn’t help either, the last INF note I sent to the DN is held, like, forever! What is this behaviour?

2. I noticed also that when I have the arpeggiator enabled, if I play a note in chromatic mode (on the OT, sending midi to the DN), the arp holds indefinitely, like I have a sustain pedal or something. I checked all the settings on the THRU machine and there’s no FX or anything that should hold it like that. This doesn’t stop unless I hit double STOP on the DN; playing or stopping the OT doesn’t kill this midi note.

End of nonesense

So, thanks for reading, and thanks for any ideas there might be for what I’m missing here. I know the OT is a complex machine (the DN less so but still quirky), and I’m getting to grips with it, but this seems like it should be a straightforward thing and I’m missing something important. I did also try this stuff with 2 x midi cable between the two for turbo midi, but nothing changed, I dunno if turbo is just for sysex stuff.

THANKS!

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Using Octatrack with Digitone