Roland SE-02

Eh who knows. I just need something protruding a little bit more. Would have liked to use Elektron type, but again that would be hella expensive.

Anyone found clever tricks for paraphony?

Edit: answering my own question:
The Retrokits RK-002 smart MIDI cable could be made to work, by tuning OSC 2 and 3, similar to the Volca Bass DUY program https://www.retrokits.com/rk002/exchange/4fcb636f-560b-4d90-87dc-628a9a679020/

Hi, what do you think of the build quality? someone has several years with him? :face_with_monocle:

I think itā€™s kind of meh. Currently, my waveform selection knob for Osc 1 seems like itā€™s getting wonky after pretty minimal use (although Iā€™ve had the unit for a few years). Some of the knobs are unreasonably stiff (selector knobs) especially given the size. Iā€™ve read many people comparing the build quality to Eurorack but Iā€™m not so sure. I would rate the build 5 or 6 out of 10. For perspective, I would give my Digitone a 9 out of 10.

It sounds the business though and fully responds to CC (very quickly I might add).

The SE-02 was my first mini-analog monosynth and I still use it. I also have the Moog Sirin and Dreadbox Typhon, all of which cost about the same amount. But youā€™re right: the other minisynths feel less fussy. But while the SE-02 isnā€™t for deep bass, it definitely adds bite and character when combined with the Syrin. The tone reminds me a lot of my MKS-80, given the metallic cross-mod tricks it can do.

That number of analog monosynths makes it difficult to justify buying a Pro 3, though. The next synths I buy will have to be polyphonic as well as relatively small ā€“ probably the OB-6 and the Hydrasynth.

1 Like

If you had to choose between SE-02 and Sirin?..

Of those two, Iā€™d definitely buy the Sirin for deep bass lines, unobtrusive, rich sine sounds and filling out the frequency range. But if youā€™ve got that area covered with other gear, miniature desktop analog synths with bite have far more competition now. When I bought the SE-02, it was practically the first of its kind commercially. Modular synths and the market for tiny instruments have changed that. These years, the Dreadbox Typhon looks better all around. It has at least as much bite and treble energy as the SE-02, as well as its own sequencer and Zoia-like effects, but it also delivers the bottom and depth for which the Sirin and Minitaur are known.

2 Likes

I had been ignoring the Typhon, assuming it lacked presetsā€¦ Oh dear.

3 Likes

One issue you should be aware of re the Typhon: MIDI clock drift if you use the internal sequencer as master. Clock drift from external sources has been fixed in the new firmware, and Dreadbox claims that MIDI drift using the internal sequencer will be fixed in the next firmware update. But as weā€™ve seen with Overbridge, that process can on occasion take years. Whereas with the SE-02, Roland and Studio Electronicsā€™ utterly reliable sync implementation works in every standard scenario out of the Boutique box.

When it comes to presets, however, the Typhon has them. Not as many as SE-02 ā€“ and a firmware update on the Roland/SE gives you two additional massive banks ā€“ but enough to be viable.

It has not, after all, sadly.
See the Typhon thread for active discussion.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Dreadbox Typhon

Dangerously close to buying one of these second-hand locally, while waiting for the Micromonsta 2ā€¦

1 Like

With MM2 delayed, I am weakening fastā€¦ And for 300 CHF in the neighborhoodā€¦

Itā€™s a damned nice synth. I donā€™t think you would be disappointed. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

iā€™m in the same situation ā€” thereā€™s a unit available locally for decent price.
i have enough simple monos and want sophisticated one!
if itā€™s still available when payday comes, iā€™ll likely pull the trigger.

1 Like

Some of these patches are extremely impressive:

Particularly ā€œPoly Plushpadā€ at 5:20
7 Likes

This really sold me on the capabilities of the SE-02 for strings and atypical analog sounds a

Iā€™m not at a place right now where it makes sense to own one, due to other instruments I have. But wow, very impressed.

Their SH-01A patches also impress.

2 Likes

It also shows off how nice the delay is.

The SE-02 sounds lovely when you tune intervals. I end up doing that all the time. Especially with one oscillator at a fixed pitch.

A friend of mine is a keys player, ahead of going on tour with [well-known electronic artist] she came over to learn a bit about synthesis (not that Iā€™m an expert) and out of all the synths I had out the SE-02 was the one she immediately responded to the sound of. It leaps out at you.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve revisited the Micromonsta specs, and whatā€™s known about the MM2, and convinced myself it will cover the same ground as the SE02 (and much more, with 12 voices and 2 parts).

1 Like