Roland SE-02

I think that‘s a bit of the apples and oranges thing…

The se sounds very different than the MM and I guess also compared to mm2 (but who knows?!)

300 in the neighborhood is a steal deal

2 Likes

man, i had no idea the se-02 was capable of that type of string sound. i haven’t spent enough quality time with mine. my patches tend toward the 303 end of the spectrum, so there’s clearly room for more experimentation.

2 Likes

For those who have one: https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2020/11/28/studio-electronics-se-02-editor-v2-now-available/

2 Likes

Patch blending and randomisation… nice.

Is the filter stepping still an issue when using a DAW and sending CC’s to it? If that is a workaround, I am interested in one of these, they can be had cheap nowadays used.
EDIT: Now a used Minitaur is also available nearby, it’s tough because the SE-02 sequencer is very cool but the Minitaur does great bass, but otherwise seems to have less features. Only other analog I have is the Typhon. Thoughts on what to get?

just my opinion, but having both the se-02 and typhon, i feel like the typhon is more versatile and easier to play than the se-02. i’d probably sell the se-02 if i needed to but hope to spend more time with it at some point. not sure how they stack up to the minitaur. people seem to love collecting monosynths, but the couple in my stable are more than enough for me. the usb midi/audio is pretty convenient with the se-02, though.

2 Likes

Sending CCs will cause stepping, yes. But there is a CV input for the filter that give no stepping. As used by the Ext-Box add on for instance.

Yeah it’s hard not having a bunch of mono’s because they are so cheap, relatively speaking. I was also thinking of a Model-D or Neutron as well, but having Patch recall is nice, hence my considering the SE-02 or Minitaur. I really don’t want three mono’s so it will either be Typhon plus Minitaur or SE-02. The SE-02 while fiddly, at least has a lot more knobs than the Typhon. Shame sending midi CC’s doesn’t fix the stepping issue, though I rarely use high resonance so I’m not thinking it will be much of an issue for me, correct?

1 Like

I dunno, I’m pretty happy with the Typhon. I’m even using my Pro 2 less for mono sounds thanks to the latest massive modulation update for the Typhon. The modulation of the sequencer and effects is just mental.
Only use the Pro 2 when I need more than 2 oscillators.

If I was looking at the SE-02 seriously, it would have to be for 3 OSC patches.

3 Likes

Correct, it is very noticeable when sweeping the cutoff at high resonance values, but it’s much less evident otherwise. Note that modulating the cutoff frequency with the LFO or envelope does not cause stepping. Only manual sweeps with the front panel control or CC.

Yes I still haven’t done the latest firmware update, which you explained to me very well the other day, thanks for that. And yes, it is for three oscillator patches, and also because I want something with a Moog sound. With the Minitaur I would use one of the external audio inputs to combine it with Typhon. Nice that they both have those inputs.

Hi everybody. Some questions about SE02. Is possibile to edit parameters per step into sequencer? Can filter auto oscillate? And are some FM capabilities on osc (it seems to me no…)? Thanks.

You can tweak one parameter across the steps of the sequencer.
The filter does self-oscillate.
I believe you can do basic 2-op FM with SE-02, and the X-Mod is cool, but if you’re looking for an FM synth, get something else.

Thanks for answer. For FM it was what I mean, it 's just for modulation. OK for x-mod.
I hear some demo ant it sound very good but too classic perhaps…

I wonder if these have been discontinued. I see them on back order most places. It’s hard to tell if things are discontinued or just on shortage cause of the pandemic.

If you’re in Canada or perhaps the USA, Long & McQuade has them in stock. It’s a great synth!

I might sell mine, but not if I know I couldn’t buy another one again at retail price. It’s a great synth, but I could also use the money…

it sounds amazing when pushed through distortion!

1 Like

Agreed! The synth sounds amazing, I know people didn’t care for the small knobs.

It’s not listed as discontinued on the Roland website (which the other discontinued models are) and I can see it in stock at quite a few retailers here (UK).