Roland SE-02

I managed to snag one for £300 new – a pretty sweet deal, too sweet to resist anyway.
It does seem like a great price for the functionality it offers and the small knobs don’t bother me in the slightest :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks dude, looking forward to it. The EXT box does look intriguing and I’ll definitely check out the SE editor – thanks for the tip.

1 Like

£300 is a total bargain, it’s a beast of a synth.

1 Like

I had to work late on Christmas Day because it’s Japan, but at least this was waiting for me when I got home. (Shout out to my mom for braving the lines at the post office to ship it to me.) :santa:t2::christmas_tree:

5 Likes

Nice, how is it? I just ordered an Ext-Box with some Christmas money I was given. I have been wishing for a HP filter to take a bit of rumble out of bass patches from time to time.

1 Like

I haven’t even plugged it in yet. Long day at work so I’m just having Christmas dinner tonight. I plan to put it through the paces this weekend. I get a week off for New Years so I plan to spend some quality time with my music gear.

2 Likes

I have a few of the Roland boutiques and the k25 keyboard attachments. I love them and they usually work great! But I recently got an se-02 and it doesn’t sit too well in the keyboard. It’s a bit wobbly and not fully sturdy. I tried switching it into another k25 just to be sure and it was the same problem.

Anyone got an se-02 and k25 that has the same issue?

I’ve got the SE-02 and a few of the KM-25s. I haven’t tried to attach the SE-02 to the keyboard and, unfortunately, the KM-25s are in storage at this time. I will be going to my storage units this week, and I will look for my KMs and test to see if I have the same issue.

I have the tilting dock, not the keyboard, but no problems with mine.

Sorry, can’t say that I have any issues. Mine is in a KM-25 and seems just fine. I read your post and nothing had ever crossed my mind about it, but I pulled it out and triple checked everything closely. Seems as sturdy as I’d expect it to be.

1 Like

I don’t know if I have an issue with the SE-02 and the KM; I am going to check in response to another post. All I can say now is that I have no issues with the KMs and any of my other Boutiques.

I’m using the SE-02 together with the Digitakt. Only had the SE-02 a few days…

From the Digitakt I can send BANK & PROG changes, all works great when I program midi notes on the Digitakt sequencer and set the SE-02 into patch mode.

But I would really like to use the internal sequencer on the SE-02 instead and i’m having problems…

When in SEQ mode on the SE-02, I hit play on the Digitakt and the sequence plays in sync. I hit stop on the Digitakt and the sequence stops. All good.
The sequence is set to MIDI rather than INT.

But I can’t find a way of triggering a change of sequence on the SE-02 from the Digitakt. i.e Play sequence 1 with its associated patch, then change to sequence 2 with its associated patch.

The sequence remains the same and only the the patch is changed.

Is it possible to send a midi message to “change sequence” to the SE-02?

There is no CC for the VALUE knob so i’m kind of stuck

Thanks

I finally got my 3, KM25s out of storage. I connected my SE02 to each of them, and had no issues.

1 Like

Hi,
I’m working on a ‘simple’ patch generator. Are you interested in ? I already did a try with random values but patches are really really weirds (in this case, efficent like messing all knobs manually). What are the basic settings that you’re suggesting to have a nice result ?

Anyone replace the knobs on theirs? What did you use?

I haven’t but I just did a little “pull” test on the knob to see if it will come off easily. Seemed to be on there pretty tight. If you did take it off and confirm that it’s a D shaft you could look at options from Chroma Caps or Color Caps. I think Chroma Caps are the more well-known company.

2 Likes

Yeah its a 6mm D-shaft at 180 degrees. Loomed at the color caps but darn are they pricey. I need 39 knobs, and its a tough sell spending 80+ on knobs. Was just seeing if someone found the golden stash of cheap Rogan knobs or something.

Yikes! Just priced that out in Chroma Caps. $96.97 CAD. Hard nope.

1 Like

Yeah tough sale.

Chroma Caps are pretty chunky/wide, I could see them causing issues on a front panel as cramped as the SE-02. Or do they make a size that matches the OEM ones?

Side note, it’s really nice having the large step-free filter cutoff knob on the EXT-BOX (and the HPF too).

2 Likes