Dreadbox Typhon

Less worried now after this clarification:

So they need to fine tune how much time the internal clock is taking to interpret and measure the external clock.

Phew, okay. That 20% chance I was afraid I might have sell this thing has now decreased considerably. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

MIDI clock works in the way, that the master send a „tick“ 96 times per bar or 24 times per beat. If you have something synced to the midi clock that gets updated/calculated faster than this 96th notes, you need to sync those step between the clock ticks yourself. If you ever added an external source to an Elektron device You have Noticed small changes to the bpm displayed on the screen. Most MIDI Clocks are not perfectly stable, because of how processors work and the running code on them.
Now if the slave has to guess the steps between the clock ticks and might drift away from the original clock for a period of times. Dependent on what you do, this time can be within smaller amounts then 96th notes or way more.
That this is not always an easy task to fix shows the problems with Waldorf and their Blofeld, Their weird clicks when using Beat Synced LFOs and Delays are based on them resetting stuff regularly to match the incoming clock.
I really hope dreadbox implementation handles this better then Waldorf :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh! I thought it was once per bar, or twice in the case of Korg Volcas/Minilogue. But I might confuse CV sync and thus MIDI ticks…

96 per bar seems way too much!
24 per quarter note in such an old specification is quite astonishing.

1 Like

Never worked with 1 tick per bar stuff, but only did MIDI until now so that might be the sync-stuff that hardware comes with :wink:
All my clock based features in my own Midi Helper Implementation base on that 96th grid and I am quite happy with that many ticks, to have quite smooth (as smooth as 127 cc values can get) LFO changes via MIDI. Both Arps and MIDI Delays work on a little Slower Scale, but 96th can be nice for very fast delay Hits etc.
As I plan to build a step sequencer within it to make custom arps, getting triggered every 96th steps helps with nudging notes away from the 16th grid.
At the end, I hope I don‘t have to do any custom interpolation between ticks because of those 96 per bar, so I am quite happy with that many ,)

2 Likes

Yeah, it confused me so much when I plugged MIDI into my MIDI to CV interface for the first time, I got those super fast gates on the clock output and I learned from the manual that I had to divide the output by 24 to get a proper clock. It felt outlandish.

1 Like

In fact, I had been following that discussion, so perhaps I misunderstood you here:

Perhaps you’re saying that external MIDI sequencing is now better with FW 2.0 but not fixed entirely.

No. The receiving of external MIDI sequencing is better with FW 2.0 and is fixed entirely, considering the only issue with it was a noticeable amount of latency.

Here is what they fixed:
MIDI note latency - i.e. there used to be a 15ms delay between sending notes from a different, external MIDI sequencer (Ableton, Octatrack, Pyramid, etc.) and the time you hear the synth play that note. This issue has been entirely resolved.

Here is what they added:
MIDI Clock synchronization and start/stop aka transport.

Here is the problem:
The tempo drifts when using ANY of the features that rely on the new MIDI Clock sync and/or transport functionality.
This includes use of the INTERNAL sequencer.
This includes use of clock synchronized FX
This includes use of clock synchronized LFOs.

Additionally. The internal clock drifts. This was the case before 2.0 and is still the case with 2.0

You said “ Clock drift from external sources has been fixed in the new firmware.
And this is not the case. It has not been fixed.

For further clarification, if required, read all comments and replies to comments in this thread at the Typhon FB group page. , and do not be fooled by the post title “MIDI SYNC WORKS” because it does not.

11 Likes

Great new FX! my FX pedals will suffer…

thanks for so detailed post.
you literally saved me time & money.

4 Likes

Wow, it’s said to be arriving within 2 months+ on Thomann and other sellers.
Would be cool if it arrives for Christmas, Santa Dreadbox.

3 Likes

If it is a matter of pre-ordering, I’d keep a pre-order in, as the chances are high that these bugs and issues will be resolved by the time you receive your unit.

The synth is still quite usable in many many ways, and will only become more usable once these issues have been remedied.

Dreadbox are well aware of the issue and have already been working to get this fixed ASAP.

3 Likes

I’ve been working with them on this, this morning.
Found another issue that popped up, they confirmed, and have a fix for that included, and I’ll be testing the beta firmware later today.

14 Likes

I got to try things out for a while last night. I did not have any other devices out to try it with MIDI-wise (as I’m still in the process of moving). However, the added effects are really nice! I love setting the pitch shifter to a 3rd and barely on, then running the granular reverb. You get some really eerie sounding shifts after the initial note hits. Very cool. I basically just got lost in sound design for a few hours last night. :smiley: Again…

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for your efforts :ok_hand:

4 Likes

I like that they’re been quite open about the update , their intended deadlines and openly working with people to tweak it even more.

I’d love to buy one …

3 Likes

Thanks for keeping us up to date. Very interested in this box but the timing issues were a major dealbreaker for me. When I see that you’re happy, I’ll preorder!

1 Like

sure, but i rely on MIDI synced modulations a lot, so this particular issue is super critical for me.

1 Like

Something the Typhon really excels at promoting… I spent far too long tweaking the Disco preset with the new phaser, reverbs and high-pass filter FX.

2 Likes

Oh I get it, my main point is this will probably all be worked out before you receive your unit, so best to keep your place in line rather than go to the back of the line (if you already had a pre-order in)

I wouldn’t be putting so much effort into this if I didn’t love the sound of this synth and appreciate its possibilities. The sequencer + OSC/filter sound + FX quality + depth of modulation is a combination not found in competitors at this price point.
So even though I am not invested in it, other than as an owner of a single unit, I want it to succeed and am doing everything I can to help make that happen.

3 Likes

not yet, but keeping on my list, this issue defines priority.