Overbridge 2.0.12 Public Beta - AU Plugins, Stability Improvements

Overbridge 2.0.12 Public Beta

This version adds AU Plugins to the public beta. This update also includes a number of significant stability and performance improvements as well as some redesigning of GUI components in the plugins. We are now focused on continuing our work with the Digitone Standalone Editor and Plugin.

Changes from 2.0.11.2 to 2.0.12.2

Driver:
Performance improvements.
New driver for macOS.
New driver for Windows.

Plugins:
AU plugins are now available.

This is a public beta, as opposed to a stable release. As a result, we encourage you to submit any queries or issues to our support channels. The public beta will continue until we are in a position to release a stable version. Make sure you read the manual, the topic How to report issues and the section below with Known Issues.

Functionality
Each Elektron Overbridge device typically exposes all individual track/voice channels as separate USB Audio channels, for multi-track recording into DAWs. Some Elektron Overbridge devices such as the Analog Rytm and Analog Four also allow you to route audio from a computer host into individual track audio paths for intricate processing. The Analog Heat acts entirely as a sound processing unit. The plugin routes audio from your computer host, through the effects chain and back into the host. All Elektron Overbridge devices allow you to play audio from the computer host directly to the device’s main output, making the device act as a sound card for playing back music etc. The Overbridge Control Panel application is bundled together with the drivers, providing a simple channel monitor for your devices.

The suite includes

• Audio over USB functionality for all Overbridge-enabled devices
  • Overbridge Control Panel
  • Overbridge Engine
  • Standalone Editor for Analog Four, Analog Heat, Analog Keys, Analog Rytm and Digitakt
  • VST Plugin macOS and Windows for Analog Four, Analog Heat, Analog Keys, Analog Rytm and Digitakt
  • AU Plugin for Analog Four, Analog Heat, Analog Keys, Analog Rytm and Digitakt
  • Digitone Standalone Editor and Plugin are currently in development and will be released at a later date.

USB Audio drivers for Windows and macOS
The USB Audio Drivers will expose Audio and MIDI-interfaces for Elektron Overbridge devices.
On Windows, WDM and ASIO audio interfaces are provided.
On macOS, HAL and CoreAudio audio interfaces are provided.

Standalone Editor for Windows and macOS
The Standalone Editor allows for controlling the Overbridge enabled devices parameters via a GUI desktop application and also managing sounds and samples on the device.
The Overbridge Engine handles all USB communication between your connected Elektron device and the standalone editor.

VST Plugin for Windows and VST/AU for macOS
The Plugin allows for controlling the Overbridge enabled devices and stream audio via a VST Plugin. This makes it possible to sequence, sync and automate the device with your DAW. Audio will be streamed to the plugin making it possible to use your audio interface of choice in your DAW while still receiving audio from your unit.
The Overbridge Engine handles all USB communication between your connected Elektron device and the VST Plugin.

Total Recall
This feature lets you save projects from Overbridge enabled devices into your DAW’s project.

Total Recall can be enabled by pressing its icon in the plugin. The unit will then sync the project files with the DAW. When opening a DAW project that has Total Recall enabled and a synced project the unit will ask you to confirm that you want to transfer the project from the DAW to the unit’s active project. Any unsaved projects will be lost.

Firmware
This beta release requires you to have the listed firmware installed on respective units. These are beta OSs and are not guaranteed to work in any other setup.

• Analog Four mkI/mkII running OS 1.36_BETA2
  • Analog Keys running OS 1.36_BETA2
  • Analog Rytm mkI/mkII running OS 1.46_BETA1
  • Analog Heat mkI/mkII running OS 1.11_BETA3
  • Digitakt running OS 1.11_BETA6
  • Digitone running OS 1.11_BETA1

Minimum Computer Requirements
Overbridge 2.0 requires a high-performance computer optimized for audio production. Elektron recommends the below specs as minimum specs.

• At least 8GB of RAM.
  • At least Intel Core i5 CPU.
  • OpenGL 3.2 capable GPU.
  • Dedicated USB host port for each Overbridge hardware device. USB Hubs are generally not supported and may cause problems with both connectivity and performance.
  • Windows 10/macOS 10.12

The specs are not the only thing necessary to have a smooth experience. Real-time performance of the system is equally important. This is affected by other running processes and by different manufacturers of computer hardware. There are tools available to analyze systems.

DAW Support
This version will work best with Ableton Live. But other DAWs will be supported as the beta progresses.

Downloads

Mac:
Elektron_Overbridge_2.0.12.2_Beta.dmg (59 MB)

Win:
Elektron_Overbridge_2.0.12.2_Beta.zip (45 MB)

Analog Four/Keys MKI:
Analog-Four_Analog-Keys_OS1.36_BETA2.zip (870.4 KB)

Analog Four MKII:
Analog-Four_MKII_OS1.36_BETA2.zip (905.0 KB)

Analog Heat MKI:
Analog-Heat_OS1.11_BETA3.zip (485.3 KB)

Analog Heat MKII:
Analog-Heat_MKII_OS1.11_BETA3.zip (494.2 KB)

Analog Rytm MKI:
Analog-Rytm_OS1.46_BETA1.zip (1.1 MB)

Analog Rytm MKII:
Analog-Rytm_MKII_OS1.46_BETA1.zip (1.2 MB)

Digitakt:
Digitakt_OS1.11_BETA6.zip (800.8 KB)

Digitone:
Digitone_OS1.11_BETA1.zip (896.4 KB)

Manual:
Overbridge User Manual_2.0_Beta.pdf (5.4 MB)

Update Notifications

Run the Overbridge Control Panel application regularly to ensure you get automatic notifications about the availability of software updates directly from Elektron.

Upgrading from previous Overbridge versions

If upgrading from Overbridge 1.15 or earlier, note that a complete uninstall of the previous version will be performed first. This means you will lose any previously installed Overbridge plugins and Overbridge drivers if you install the Overbridge 2.0 Public Beta.

Known issues

• In some occasions there are dropouts when using multiple Overbridge devices, even at lower loads.
  • Higher loads on the CPU may cause dropouts when using the units as Audio Interfaces.
  • Unit selection list in the plugin stays visible when hiding the plugin if it has been left open.
  • Issue with latency for MIDI when sending MIDI from the device to another external device.
  • On some systems, Bit Accurate driver is not showing any channels in Studio One and Bitwig.
  • Stability issues.
  • VST plugin does not utilize retina resolution (Windows).

To think about when using an Overbridge unit as a sound card:

Most Overbridge enabled devices can be used as 2 in 2 out interfaces in addition to the audio over USB for each individual voice. This means that if you are not careful with your routing and where/what you are monitoring, you might get feedback or voice doubling. Especially when software monitoring in your DAW.

In the Digitakt, doubling of audio can be prevented by turning off all internal audio sent to the mains out on the Digitakt. This is done by changing Settings > System > USB config > “Int to Main” to “Off”. Auto has no effect when using the Standalone Editor.

The Heat is a 4 in 4 out interface and will not be affected by the issue described above. If you still experience issues, check in the Heat manual that you have set up the routing correctly.

27 Likes

will test tonight !

After a quick test session in Reason 10.3, I can say it’s way more reliable than previous version in Windows.
I still get the occasional click and pop when adding Heat as an insert, but not nearly as frequent as before.
I set plugin and soundcard buffer size to 256, rapid driver performance and low latency USB streaming mode (X-USB control panel). Maybe some tweaks to buffer safety margin will cure it.
I’m happy with the performance so far!
Will test on my hackintosh boot later.

1 Like

Looking froward to trying this with Logic Pro on OSX.

2 Likes

on my mac pro it seems to work smooth except for “no-autochannel” (therefore no-previewing sounds and no arp - that’s awful - via DAW midi)
The installer doesn’t create a midi object for the machines anymore, I think it’s that

Hope there will be/is improvement if the browser section! ;D
#tonight

Good to see a new beta coming out.

I’d like to see actual, point for point release notes (ie as is normal for software updates) to see precisely what has been changed/improved. The “release notes” with the Overbridge download are not release notes!

When it will be ready for Mac Mojave. Its really anoying not being able to use new beta. Thanks

Correct, they are not. We don’t do this during beta. Same for the firmwares. They all start on the first stable version.

8 Likes

It already is.

8 Likes

The plugin is still crashing ableton for me. After uninstalling everything and re-installing the new beta? Any suggestions? On a mk2 RYTM in windows 10

1 Like

Hmmm ok… it’s something that I every software dev I can think of does. Maybe then don’t call them release notes if you agree they are not?!

You guys just aren’t big on being clear with version numbers etc - eg your manual PDFs don’t anywhere say which OS version they’re referred to, which can be a major source of confusion if you’re referring to an older one. It’s a strange omission IMO…

Hi Olle
any suggestion for that issue?

The manuals do give the relevant version number, in the copyright section near the front.

1 Like

Ok just found this, thanks - but that’s pretty obfuscated. Should be there in the file name for starters! And on the front page… shouldn’t have to search the small print. Weird.

any recomendations about using Digitone as a soundcard? i have the same problems about voice doubling and usb config doesnt exist on Digitone.

1 Like

Out of luck here on Mac OS X 10.11.6 :frowning:

Love the little indicator bars under the filter parameters. This gets better and better.

Thank you Elektron

Will pass this one until we get into RC builds. My heat is already working, more or less, and DN is the only other box I’d even consider using OB with. But glad things are progressing!

Ok this is great. The wait is finally over and so far it’s working really nicely for me.

I have one issue. If I select the 10xMono instance and create 8 Aux tracks, the audio correctly goes to the right Aux track. But if I place a Midi Region on Aux track 1 (kick), the MIDI gets sent to the snare channel on the Digitakt (Aux track 2). I thought I could get around this by just using the main Digitakt track as the kick, but any MIDI notes I place there end up going to the main track and the first Aux track.