The Digitakt Feature Request Thread

Aye, it’s fine to hope for new features and to speculate on here, but people should also be prepared for disappointment if their particular feature needs aren’t met by updates or hearsay doesn’t come true. Just don’t get the moaning that X can’t do Y when it was never specifically stated by Elektron

You mean like real life!? hehe

1 Like

Exactly :sweat_smile:

For me, one big factor is how much you value Overbridge (OB).

It seems very likely that Elektron is dedicating a lot of cycles to get OB to public release. That would slow down firmware updates if it’s the same software staff.

For those not interested in OB, it makes perfect sense that it would be disappointing to get updates less often.

For me I have high interest in both firmware updates, and OB updates. If they told me they need 6 months to get OB and 1.11 out of beta, I’m content with that.

I have some faith that they are not done with DT, and will give it love in the future.
Maybe I’m foolish :sweat_smile:

Best regards,

Gino

Is it possible to opt in to the beta somehow ?

Yes:
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/overbridge-2-0-12-public-beta-au-plugins-stability-improvements/88798

OverBridge Hardware Request:

It would be amazing if Elektron released a mixer which utilized Overbridge.

You connect your digitakt via USB and it tracks out to the channels on the mixer. Very similar to the Roland Aira MX, but next level.

2 Likes

That goes for both sides, doesn’t it? To be fair, a company should only sell a product with exactly the features it got and not with what may be added to it in a couple of years or so :wink:
And when I bought it I could (it said) live record retrigs. Since then it has disappeared from the manual.

I’m playing the DT with the Nord Drum 3P. It should be amazing but ends up being fairly frustrating.

Velocity sensitivity on the DT would really wake up the sound engine. Filter envelope is an obvious destination. I use FM-like LFO + ramp on the attacks, and velocity routing to LFO depth would make the amount of “crack” more responsive. Pulling the HPF down on hats is a nice trick.

retrig on MIDI notes.

I would like to address the MIDI tracks with a given note as you can with the audio tracks. ND3 doesn’t address notes per channel. I’m getting a MIDI processor to work around this. To be fair, this is Nord’s fault more than Elektron’s.

Stereo through. The amount of gear you have to slug around matters.

I know these are not possible at the moment but I wonder if it was just an oversight or possibly even a bug.

Does anyone know a little more about how retriggers actually work? Are they literally just re-triggering the note multiple times? If so I don’t see why this wouldn’t be possible and expected of the midi tracks as well.

Alternatively, I’m wondering if the sample tracks could be used to sequence midi in Ableton by just turning their volumes down. Do they generate any kind of outgoing midi?

I was hoping to use the DT as a standalone fun box but also as a sequencer for my Ableton DrumRacks to make use of the inspiring Elektron sequencer and its retrigger abilities as opposed to wrestling with the piano roll which I am not a fan of.

1 Like

Create a support ticket and put it to Elektron.
They don’t monitor this forum.

I’m sure it isn’t an ‘oversight’ or a ‘bug’.

1 Like

Yeah I’ll submit one.

Only one of their boxes has midi retrig, the OT. It’s not an oversight or bug, it’s design decision.

2 Likes

OT doesn’t even really have midi retrig with adjustable settings and whatnot like it does for audio tracks. It has “trig counts” for midi tracks which allow you to have up to 7 repeats (for a total of 8 quick notes) that are evenly spaced between the sequencer trigs. Non of the boxes have full midi retrig…

2 Likes

I understand many of the things that were left out to create a new creative space and workflow for the Digitakt.

This one, however, does not make sense to me.

1 Like

no, but you can copy a track’s triggers and paste them to one of the 8 midi tracks

So technically, no elektron box has midi retrig, and it can’t be really be viewed as a missing feature in the other boxes.

Wait, with re-triggering turned on?

Yep. I never really thought “Its in other boxes so it should be in this one.”

More along the lines of “This is present in the sample tracks. I see no reason that it wouldn’t by default also be present in the midi tracks.”

Its just a tool to repeat a note at a given rate/division and for a set amount of times. You can max the tempo of the DT while generating midi trigs and it handles the quick succession of notes well.

I’m going to choose to see it as an oversight until told otherwise out of optimism. I think if we frame this from a common sense “Why shouldn’t these trigs work like the others” there may be a chance of some change on this.

I’m also trying to understand where the bottleneck could be on this. Maybe CPU?

2 Likes

You can choose to do what you want, as is your luxury when you’re a sentient being, however if you’re awaiting a designer or engineer to come into this thread and explain the Why’s and wherefores of each decision, then I feel you’ll be waiting a longtime.

There was a thread recently, where Simon gave his email address and invited questions. Maybe that’s your way forward.