Octatrack Tips & Tricks (OT Tips)

that’s great. Would have never thought of it, though it totally makes sense

1 Like

For other scales, I plock several notes with third intervals on 1 trig, other left notes on another trig, and alternate them each 2 steps, or as you like.
Random Arp with octaves to taste.

A Minor Harmonic
Trig 1 : A C E G#
Trig 2 : B D F

With 5 notes scales I use this sometimes
Track 1 for root note
Track 2 for others notes

Ethiopian
T1 = A, T2 = B C E F

12 Likes

That’s a new one to me by definition, although I have often heard those note relationships. Almost like an Ethiopian version of the pentatonic scale, only with the closer B+C notes providing more harmonic interest.

I maid another test with same principle, I just thought that with Trc now we can put up to 2x4 notes on the same time.

DORIAN D
Trig 1 (D F A C), Trc 50%
Trig 2 (E G B D), Trc /PRE and - 23/384 micro timing.

5 Likes

What’s the -23/284 do? I would’ve figured you’d want it right on top of where the previous note would have been, so I would’ve guessed -284/284 or whatever the furthest backwards value would be.

It’s 23 of 384 (384 midi seq clicks per bar from 96 ppqn [24ppqn for MIDI beat clock, int seq is 4 times higher res] ) - so it’s the finest step resolution that steps can be shifted towards, but not overlapping, the neighbouring seq step

may have been neater to write 23/24, but it is what it is I guess

edit: adding a figure for future ref - so you see that 2 and 3 can almost swap places

9 Likes

A step is 24 clicks.
I don’t know if @avantronica mentioned it, but take 2 consecutive steps. :kissing_heart::confounded:

If you set step 2 to +1 and step 2 to -23, which is theorical same position, surprisingly only step 2 is played. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If you set step 1 to +2, it will be played after step 2. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::tired_face:

1 Like

not surprising as it’s a monophonic (if audio) track, but yeah, you can nudge it so two trigs ‘almost’ entirely swap positions (96%) and certainly swap order - but they’ll work as per no nudging for TRCs ordering etc

3 Likes

I thought step 1 would be first, that was my surprise, not the monophonic behavior. :wink:

How to set up 2 EQs on different tracks to be controlled simultaneously from one encoder page using MIDI loopback.

Use case: For :elot: DJing (and many other things). Say you are forced or want to DJ on your OT. You have no DJ mixer available. You want to fade out the bass on the currently playing track, while fading it in on the incoming.

Hardware:

1. Connect MIDI cable from OT’s out to in.

Software:

1. On track A (in this case: audio track 1), insert DJ EQ on slot 1. On track B (i.e. audio track 5), insert DJ EQ on slot 2. The other slots on track 1 and 5 should stay empty.

2. In MIDI mode, choose a channel and set it up in MIDI control setup. Set as follows:

This is the CC setup on the MIDI channel your encoders will be sending from.

3. Set the MIDI control channel (on MIDI playback setup page, ‘MIDI note setup’) to, for example, 4. Any channel will do, but it has to be the same channel as in the next step.

4. Go to MIDI: Channels (FN+Mixer). In this case, set tracks 1 and 5 to MIDI input channel 4, as that is the one chosen as the MIDI control channel in the previous step. Set track 4 input to OFF.

5. On your MIDI control channel’s ‘Cntrl 2’ page, the top row of your encoders controls audio track 1 EQ, the bottom row controls track 5 EQ. Bass gain is on the left, mid in the middle, treble on the right.

7 Likes

Yes, this suprised me too, in another context:

possibly this extends to MIDI notes as well.

1 Like

Just noticed this, great idea! Getting different modes I’d already thought of on my own but I was missing harmonic minor and I probably wouldn’t have come up with that idea any time soon.

Internally recording fills to Flex tracks is fun

1 Like

Super easy, accurate CV sync to clock Volcas, Pocket Operators, Modulars etc (This will only be useful to people who don’t normally need the cue out)
—Go into control >> Metronome settings. turn on metronome (Active). Set Main Volume to 0 and Cue Volume to 28, or thereabouts. Adjust time Sig as needed, the Monotribe is 4/8 for instance. Patch cable from cue out to cv sync in on your device. Yeah!

15 Likes

Somehow last night it dawned on me that one-shot plays free midi tracks could give me a bunch of fills to send to my Rytm… :slight_smile: (using the lowest midi notes to trig Rytm voices using only one channel)

3 Likes

I recently (re)discovered this, and it’s great.

1 Like

OK so here’s a handy dandy chart to easily use any of the seven modes in any key…
(Bb=A#, Eb=D#, Ab=G#, Db=C#, Gb=F#)

Just find the mode and key you want on the chart and set the arp to the major mode in the corresponding key shown on the left… :sparkles::monkey::sparkles:

-I copied this chart from the Internet, It shows several flat keys at the bottom left, on the OT the key can only be set in sharps so I listed the equivalent sharp keys at the bottom just in case…

22 Likes

Remember to check out the personalize menu. There’s some useful options to customize button behavior and some other goodies. I’ve toggled quite a few of them to better suit my workflow… :monkey_face:

1 Like

Sorry but what is the “Master affectation” ?

Thank you!

1 Like