Octatrack Tips & Tricks (OT Tips)

So you mean solo/unsolo?

Yes, exactly.
But seems you cant solo midi tracks :disappointed:

A request for the best method creating random mutes with slices and sample chains?

I’m wanting to recreate how the ‘Note Density’ function works in M (https://cycling74.com/products/m/#.WI8c7raLRE4) using the crossfader.

eg: Cross fader left plays every trig then as you slide to the right less of the trigs play.

Thanks

I use Lfo1 Design with Vol Dest, Hold and 1 Lfo2 random with Speed1 Dest.

You can edit Lfo1 Design in order to set the probability.
4 values out of 16 equal 25%. Values can be negative so you can apply it with scenes (Lfo1 Depth), in order to achieve your example.

If you want more details, don’t hesitate.

3 Likes

This is probably obvious for many people, but I was happy to discover that when in the mixer mode, muting and soloing tracks, if you hold function while you press the trigs for muting/unmuting/soloing, the tracks won’t actually be effected until you release the function key. This makes it much easier to have several tracks come in or out at once, on time!

8 Likes

Should work in Track Mute mode too.
The problem is when you hold function for something else, e.g. FN + Yes to play one shot trigs continuously, you can’t mute directly.

thanks for this!!

can’t get it to work for soloing though, as that needs cue button to

great tip though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great tip, in the manual. :wink:
Plenty of tips and tricks in the boring manual !

2 Likes

okay okay…

Anyway I’m trying your probability setup now and getting some good results, but I’m not quite there, Could you explain all the settings for lfo1 and lfo2, like the speed and depth settings & maybe describe what a 25% or 50% designer wave would look like?

I’m finding that the lfo1 depth on the crossfader scenes isn;t increasing/decreasing probability of muted trigs, just the relative volumes, until they become randomly muted when all the way over to scene B - in the middle they are like randomly quietened

Any insights appreciated!

Yeah it isn’t increasing probability, just volume.
Will think about that later, interesting but is it possible ? :sketchy:
There are 16 possible values with lfo design. If you set 8 values, 50% of probability.

Some settings :

Lfo1 :
Pmtr = Amp Vol
Wave = lfo design with 4 values = 64
Mult = 64
Trig = Hold
Speed = 32
Depth = 0

Lfo2 :
Pmtr = Lfo1 Speed 1
Wave = Rdm
Mult = 64
Trig = Hold
Speed = 32
Depth = 127

Place trigs with plocks :
Lfo1 Depth1 = 127
Vol = 0

Scene A = Lfo1 Depth1 = 0
The scene A force plocked trig with 0 value.
Moving the fader to B increase the sound of plocked trigs.

Correct me if I’m wrong. :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks! Will try it soon

1 Like

Nice one. I still don’t get the speed settings with a hold lfo (btw I think I never will understand correctly how the lfo speed works in the elektrons ;)).
when lfo1 is set to hold, the lfo value won’t change until the next trig right? why does the speed matter, and which influence does it have on the probability. In my understanding it won’t change until the next trig anyway…

Unfortunately it doesn’t influence probability. If you don’t modulate Speed1, the 8 values (64) will be cyclic. It can be interesting too with a setting like speed = 125, which is not 4/4, in orde to free the other lfos.

1 Like

more details please… PM me if need

Don’t know what to add. Did you try it ?
It’s an exemple and it can be applied to different settings, such as Pitch, Rate, Retrig, Comb Filters, Delay…
With that “Random Design” you can apply randomness to specific musical values…

1 Like

I tried it and it works really well. Had a drum sample chain and followed your instructions. The “probability” custom lfo modulating the volume. I put the Volume down for the trigs I wanted probability and p-locked the lfo depth on these trigs. Second lfo randomly modulating the first one’s speed. On some “probability” trigs I put repeats (counts) in the micro timing. And a third lfo was modulating the start point of the sample chain. Locked that lfo depth on the probability trigs again. Every lfo was on hold. Long story short. Awesome glitch stuff :wink:

4 Likes

Off topic. Deleted,

1 Like

As many of these tips probably are, this may be obvious to some, but last night, I made a very cool discovery with pickup machines. I have always used multipliers on slaved pickup machines, like x1 or x2. So every slaved loop is 2 two times as long as the master, or whatever multiple you happen to select.

BUT! If you turn the multiplier setting to off, you can select how long the loop is, in sequencer steps, in the recorder setup menu. I always assumed that pickup machines were excluded from poly-rhythm mayhem, but this is not the case!

I was really happy to find this. Sorry if this has always been blatantly obvious to you. It was an exciting discovery for me :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Not at all - thanks for sharing! Nice

1 Like

Set up one-shots on the master track for a breakdown/switchup/fx blast/whatever. In grid recording mode on the master track, hold down function+yes to keep arming the one shots as the pattern is played, leave a one-shot that gets you back to normal near the end of the pattern. If you stop arming after any of them you can latch the effect, rearm just before your back to normal trig when your done…

5 Likes