Playing In Time

I had a tough time with the DN but like anything else, practice helps! Also what @dzyndzel said till then!

1 Like

It might sound dumb but noise cancelling headphones. As much as I like the clicky-ness of the tactile buttons on DT and DN sometimes the audible click clack can mess with my rhythm. I think I’m more “in the zone”/less distracted with this when I turn on the noise cancelling.

In retrospect, the button click may have a similar timbre to the metronome.

Also what @dzyndzel said.
Also what @Kegeratorz said.

No argument with either advice there!

3 Likes

I never thought of that! I don’t have much issues with 404/MPC devices. Great point!

1 Like

lucky guy! I’m attempting to find a way to work around buying a usb midi host so I can use my shitty usb only korg nanopad2 with the digis for a sexy pad thumping good time!

1 Like

Thanks guys, I’ll practice. I think my main confusion is with editing the trigs afterwards, and how they work visually on the grid.

maybe this will help …

Yes that is kind of what I was after - but I think I need it explained in really simplistic terms for my really simplistic brain.

It’s hard to explain it in a way that’s more simple than the graphic that was posted but I think you just have to understand that fundamentally the midi clock will measure 24 pulses per quarter note, that’s the clock you’re recording to when you input notes.

The internal sequencer is 4 times more refined than that, so 96 pulses per quarter note. Microtiming gives you access to the rest of the divisions, so one page of the sequencer is 4 quarter notes, each of those has a division of 96 increments of microtiming, so therefore the farthest towards the quarter note on the left, and the closest to the 1/4 note on the right are almost indistinguishable from being the 1/4 note that you’re used to. The microtiming isn’t really “in addition to” the timing you’re accustomed to, it is “in place of” the timing you are accustomed to. because the 1/4 note as far as the midi clock is concerned is the same, but if you went to a store for shoes and you bought a half size too big or small, you would notice it was too tight or too loose. However, if you bought a pair of shoes that was just a half a MM shorter or longer than the size you normally purchase, the difference is almost indistinguishable.

Does that make more sense or did I just make things worse?

1 Like

Thanks that makes more sense now I am in front of my Syntakt, and can see the divisions and the numbers, thanks for taking the time to explain it.

I always had the feeling that the Elektron devices i tried so far (Digi’s, OT) don’t record exactly what i’m playing. In contrast to Microsampler, SP-404, MPC 2000, multiple daw’s…
But here on Elektronauts most people disagreed with me. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit:
They were right. :grin:

1 Like

Interesting - I tend to get my manually played timing pretty spot on. Unlike the latency I get in a DAW which drives me mad!

I use a mechanical keyboard I wonder if that’s trained me well - I don’t do as well on standard keybeds as I do with elektron stuff. I can imagine if you’re used to MPC style pads that would also train you differently - maybe a muscle memory thing more than a timing issue, per se.

1 Like

I played drums with keys for years before i started using devices with pads. I might have to try a midi keyboard with the DT to see if that makes a difference.

1 Like

When I am playing in something fast notes are completely skipped, not recorded. An easy fix with the trade off of less bars I will just double the bpm and mlength and 1/2 the scale of the other tracks

Or use the 2x track scale or a combination of both if you really need a very high resolution, then add conditions so they only repeat when you want

1 Like

OT is worse with quantized rec : if you play between 2 steps, the trig is recorded on the previous step, not the closest…:meh:
Not the case with Digis.
Timing placement on trigs - #4 by sezare56

2 Likes

Yes, if i play too fast some notes get skipped because the sequencer only records 16 notes in one bar.

That’s interesting. Never compared the quantized recording.
I was talking about unquantized recording. I’m going to try it again on my DT right now to see if i still feel that it’s off somehow.

1 Like

I just think of it as a soft quantize that is always on, usually a good thing for most stuff for me.

If trying to record 32nd notes or notes that fall on top of each other like a slow flam that’s when I go to 2x. There are a few times I wish the uTime nudge was finer but that’s pretty rare and doubling does the trick

1 Like

So i just recorded some unquantized beats with headphones and it came out as played. I think i never used headphones before when recording drums manually with the DT. And these clicky buttons might gave me the perception that it sounded different while playing. I hate these clicky s#!ts!

And on top of that, before using elektron devices i used sequencers (sp’s, mpc, atari st with midi…) that can record way more notes than 16 in one bar. So i couldn’t play some grooves with the DT that i was used to play before.

All in all my personal conclusion (which might not matter to anybody at all🙂):
Elektron devices record everything as played but with the limitation of 16 notes in one bar.

2 Likes

Well… yes. If you are matching the position of the playhead and registering two separate notes on the same trig it will only record the second one. 16 steps for 16 notes. Doubling the scale to 2x would give you more places to register notes, with the caveat that its going to run two loops for every other track at 1x.

You can also test with midi loopback : received Notes On are recorded with the right timing. 32 notes max per bar with scale x2. I don’t play that fast. :content:

The problem is also with notes overlapping. You can erase previously recorded notes with long notes. I’d love an overdub option…

2 Likes

Yup. This is one of those things that became a lot more noticeable in my experience with the arrival of Syntakt. Specifically when using mod keys for things like long retriggers. It also makes them extremely difficult to record in one take. I usually have to do a couple takes with undo actions. Would prefer the option to toggle that potentially, and let length behave like it would with manual placements.

2 Likes