Octatrack MK2 Data Entry Knob and Page Button LED Issues

Thank you for this. :heart_eyes_cat:

I know it can be troublesome to promise anything, but the dialog has been opened between companies and customers, in pretty much all sectors of business - I hope this glasnost policy you demonstrated grows within Elektron. Again, thanks.

1 Like

Thanks in advance, Olle

It’s not a little dimmer… it’s a lot

I’d go so far as to call it a complete pain in the arse

2 Likes

Fantastic

Hi Olle,

This means that Elektron has a team working on Octatrack OS updates?

Can you tell us if there´s going to be another change? Maybe customizable mute behaviour (audio/sequencer)? Maybe another improvement?

This machine can be massively used in lives, Elektron only has to keep improving it!!

EDIT: Please tell the right people there, the decision makers, that we´ve spent a lot of money in it, don´t cheat us with only a screensaver and a led correction…

Thanks

There is a bugfix update planned. Unsure yet when it will be slotted in.

No new features or major changes as there are no more processor cycles left and for all changes, even for bugfixes, refactorization and optimizations are needed for it to fit so it’s very tedious work.

The OT has had a long life with an incredible amount of updates and added features over the time and is now full.

14 Likes

Thanks for the response, I understand the hardware is at its limit.

Anyway things like a small options or like the mute mode are maybe doable. Only the mute behaviour is a stopper for lots of live performances.

I hope you could find the way.

@olle thanks for the info, re. the page LEDs could the LCD be use to help better indicate which page is playing? This would then free up the page LEDs to show the currently editing one? Maybe green led for page being edited, red for other pages.

The tempo display already has the 4 blocks under the tempo value, these cycle in accordance with the beat, but maybe they could be changed or modified to indicate page?

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it!

So, if I understand you well the Octatrack MKII has reached the final end of development. When will MKIII be announced? :smile:

Hmmmm…just bought one last week, was that wise? (Asking myself…)

Enjoy and don’t overthink… when the MkIII comes out you won’t even have scratched the surface of the MkII

Octatrack MKII is the same as MKI. It’s not an Octatrack 2, it’s a MKII. They share the same internals(with a few exceptions like the input/output circuit), runs the same OS.

The reason for the MKII was that components went end of life and we took the opportunity at the same time to upgrade to the new panel components that are way better and the new display. This so that we could continue to manufacture it. A couple of buttons was also added to make a few things easier accessible.

Yes! The Octatrack is amazing and such a versatile tool.

11 Likes

You really ask if buying a finally finished product instead of a “work-in-progress-underfeatured-and-bug-infested” one is wise??? What a strange world we are living in …

4 Likes

No, you did not understand.

I do understand.

A product which has reached its “final end of development” (as you named it) is - at least in my book (and I’m a product developer since 3 decades now) - a finished product. Look at the update history of the OT and you will see how it has progressed its way to this final stage.

Nowadays such finished products are very, very rare, because almost no one cares anymore to finish a product over a period of a few years (and that’s what it really takes for a complex product).

(and, btw, being out of development doesn’t mean being out of support in any means)

11 Likes

The nature of how an OT is used makes it future proof. It may not have 45 tracks and a touch screen. But I guarantee you that you could use it for the rest of your life and not getting bored with it (depending on genre of course) There’s always something new to sample.

6 Likes

also the OT has led me to genre’s i didnt know I would like/genre’s that dont specifically exist

So the page LED thing is starting to seem less and less likely of being fixed ever… pretty lame. Is this an issue on the MK I with the latest OS or is this just a special feature for those of us that invested in the newer upgraded model?

Still love the thing, but come on dudes.

1 Like

What are you basing this on? Afaik the last word from elektron is that they’re aware of the issue and a fix is coming. The issue is exclusive to MK2.

1 Like

I guess I was mostly was just trying to make some noise as this thread was started in February 2018 and while we have seen an update it didn’t address this issue. I can’t imagine that a group of engineers are gathered around the OT trying to devise a way to make the lights work correctly and they haven’t been able to come up with a solution.

Sorry for the complaining, it’s a pretty frustrating bug is all. Maybe it’s worse on my unit or something, but if the sequencer is playing I have no idea what page I’m on, which makes doing things like putting record trigs where you intended pretty difficult.

Yes I’m just bitching, but this shit ain’t cheap. This seems like it would be an easy fix.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call it a bug

I would call it a complete lack of oversight in the quality control department

It would have been completely obvious to anyone who was using the pre-release demo version of the Mk2

Unless that person had never used another Elektron machine before then

1 Like