Moog Three-tier Sound Studio (M-32, SH, DFAM)

There appears to be no thread devoted specifically to the Moog trinity of Mother-32, Subharmonicon, and DFAM, though this trio appears in many of the threads for the individual instruments.

Some issues to discuss include:

• What order do they go in the rack? (I think DFAM on top, then SH, then M-32 on the bottom, but I have all permutations in various videos and pictures.)
  • Cables. Stackable, best, etc. It seems 40 cm, or 1.5 feet is good to reach across the rack.
  • Patching tips – especially patches that cross instruments. (e.g., I like to plug a suboscilator from the SH into the Ext. Audio of the DFAM)
6 Likes

I have zero input in regards to actual usage. However, the Moog Trinity is my next major music gear purchase planned for later this or the following year. With that said, I will more than likely add another Mother-32 for a quad configuration since Moog offers a 4-tier rack stand.

I have the first two, but haven’t pulled the trigger on the SH. Curious to see how this thread develops.

How long have you owned this trinity and what are some of your favorite aspects of using these three synths together?

Same here.

I was just the opposite. I got an SH and loved it so much I got the other two. The SH really changed the way I interacted with instruments from mainly (or at least often) in the DAW to mainly turning knobs, and I find that more enjoyable.

Not long – just a few months, with travel in the middle. So I feel like I’m still learning the basics. Like I don’t know the M-32 and DFAM patch bays like I know the SH patch bay, since I’ve had the SH for over a year, and play it often.

I think my favorite aspect is that the three instruments are all very different, and each can offer that difference to the other instruments. Since I know the SH best, I feel like that’s at the center of most of my creations. I’ve used the M-32 to modulate the oscillators, and the DFAM to modulate SH filter with, e.g., velocity. Tricks like this really expand the pallet of the SH, I find. Without this, I found myself making the same (very nice, and fun to play) songs over and over on the SH.

How are you all dealing with power and audio out from x3? I think they sort this out if you buy all 3 together but nothing available separately, or have I got that wrong?

1 Like

The Sound Studio comes with a power splitter and audio ‘mixer’ that can handle 3 instruments. Otherwise, you need to deal with three plugs.

I don’t use the audio mixer (just sums the audio, mixing is done by adjusting the volume of each instrument) but route audio through a Beebo, which can handle 4 ins. I usually send M-32 and SH through delay and reverb, but the DFAM is dry. I replaced my empty patch with this patch, so that I have something that works when the system is powered on.

1 Like

oh shit. I had no idea they had x4 inputs. FFS. Now I want one of those… I’ll have to look into this. If you could route 2 from OT Cue into the Beebo and then out to a mono pedal and back into Beebo - I’m sold.

1 Like

Moog announced yesterday that you can now buy the Moog trinity in one Sound Studio package. I changed the name of the thread to reflect this.

The overview video is cute and very retro, and there are three new patch demonstration videos that showcase the three instruments togeter.

There are also some new toys in the package, like a card game and dust cover.

1 Like

Just before I switched the trio off for the night.
A short extract from a short jam which drew me in.

A bit of no-frills DFAM with some M32 padding things out while the SH adorns with some lazy stabs.

9 Likes

Been using the BlueBox in the same regard and it is lovely

1 Like

From recent SonicState video, looks like the dust cover, “card game,” and patch cable organizer will be available separately soon

4 Likes

I’ve just been thinking about a bluebox. Seems like a great solution. I’d like to hear more about your experiences.

My main question is how are the FX? In particular the reverb?

Hey! I am just getting started with it actually and have not dove into the fx section yet, but will keep you posted! I usually use an eventide space for reverbs, but due to limited desk space I plan to use the bb with this rig (candidly, I’m not looking for the bb to compete with the space, but at least be usable)

(Separately, I’ve been using the decay on the Moog modules to get a really cool “faux-reverb”)

No, you can use 1 included power supply and split using a guitar pedal daisy chain adapter. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

New-ish to modular/semi-modular and do not want to create any power issues - which one do you recommend?

The reverb is pretty nice! The original firmware had a lot of parameters, they’ve since condensed it to some presets with a few parameters to tweak (hi/lo cut, pre-delay, etc.). It can do long ambient soundscapes for sure :slight_smile: the delay is simple but also pretty solid with a very useful bandpass filter.

Everything can be modulated by external MIDI, if you have have something like an Elektron box that can send MIDI LFOs then you can add a lot of movement.

1 Like

The 3 amigos at it again.

Into some kind of experimental lo-fi dub territory today…

8 Likes