Moog Subharmonicon

The 30cm are too short. I would recommend 40cm.

okay, thanks for the tip-off!

I recently got cables for my 3 tier setup, and decided on 1.5 foot cables (~45 cm). 1 foot (30 cm) will work, but barely, so if you want any extra slack, 40 cm is ideal I think. I find the 45 cm cables perhaps a bit on the long side, but are also fine.

Related: I don’t think there is a topic for the Moog Trinity yet (the Moog sound studio thread is really just for two tier systems, I guess). Is there interest in creating such a thread? I know I would like a place to discuss optimal cable length and debate whether the SH or M32 should be on the bottom…

1 Like

I like the M32 on the bottom as it is easier and more comfortable to access the buttons for the sequencer than having it in the middle. I have the Subharmonicon in the middle and Dfam on top.

1 Like

I have have M32 on bottom, SH in middle and Dfam on top too. I think it is the best way.

2 Likes

SubH on bottom, M32 middle and DFAM top, just seem to like it like that

1 Like

40 cm it is then!

I think such a topic might well prove useful once I rack up the trio. Necessity is the Mother 32 of invention…

Hi Sharmonicers.

I found a good deal on a Subharmonicon and ordered.
Gr8 fun and thinking of keeping this beast but I have some problems with the Quantizer like in this video

Rumor says that I need to recalibration using a sysex file called “subharmonicon_note_cal_00_127.syx” and that should do the trick.
I already wrote an email to Moog and left a message on their FB site but still no answer from them.

Have any of you guys had this problem? Anyone got the syx file laying around?

Got the Syx file from Moog

1 Like

There is now. I made a new thread to discuss the Moog Trinity. It pops up often enough – youtube, instagram, here – that I thought we needed a devoted place to talk about it.

1 Like

It seems the clock outputs on my subh patchbay are are not in sync with the internal clock (or clock input) of the subh. Is anyone else experiencing this problem or is there something seriously wrong with mine? I’ve tried contacting moog but no response. Any info/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

It seems there is something wrong with the clock outputs of the subh…have you made progress with your sync issues? I’m struggling with mine atm.

I haven’t tried anything new - the SubH syncs fine with all the Elektron gear I tried (even when the Elektron was synced to the MPC), so I put it down to some anomaly involving the MPC and SubH together. I’ve got a Force now, so I should try that and see if it replicates the MPC problem.

The clock outs of the SubH weren’t a factor in all this, though, so you may have a different issue. I’ve not used the SubH as a master, but I have patched its clock internally without any problems.

1 Like

Thank you! Glad to hear you figured things out.

When i said the clock outs of the subh, i meant the two sequencer clock outs…

I did some research and it seems to be a known bug. The youtuber tim shoebridge (i’m probably mangling his name) talks about it in his “subharmonicon diaries.” I hope moog comes up with a fix, because i use the subh sequencers to run other synths as well.

I’ve written to moog and hope they get back to me. I’m surprised they haven’t fixed it already…very unlike moog to have a buggy instrument on the market for so long.

Thanks again and i hope you are well!

Oh, and the bug is: the two seq clock outs trigger one pulse (?) late, basically causing everything to be consistently out of sync…not a good look for a sequencer, or moog for that matter.

1 Like

I was curious about this, and found this on Redit. Redit user FORTENSKY reported the bug to Moog, and got this response:

" We have also observed this behavior and confirmed that it is inherent to the current firmware version for this instrument. There is no ETA at this time, but our engineers are aware of the issue and working hard on the future firmware update that corrects this behavior. Your report has been added to our bug documentation, but please register your instrument on our website and sign up for the Moog Newsletter to be kept aware of any firmware updates."

This comment was about a year ago, so the firmware update progress is going slow apparently…

2 Likes

Wow, they’ve known about this for over a year?! I hope this is just a delay because of covid and not something un-fixable.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

That’s interesting, as this is very similar to the behaviour I sometimes get (around 50% of the time) when the MPC is clocking the SubH - but only once, always at the start. There’ll be either a delayed or early trigger, which will throw the SubH out of sync, and then it will stay out of sync in the same way. But, as I say, I’ve never seen this with an Elektron as the sync source, despite restarting sequences over and over in testing. So the way the MPC is doing it is clearly a factor, but at the same time the MIDI clock from the MPC is fine with all my other gear, so clearly the Moog is also a factor. It’s only a minor inconvenience for me practically - I’m more bothered that I can’t diagnose what’s actually happening.

I’ve had mine for a few months but only just tried using the seq 1 & 2 outs on some other gear. Neither of them work as expected. If running a seq when a polyrhythm is dialled far right (max) then they clock bang on but as soon as the clock is divided it is a delayed mess. I also made a ticket at Moog in the hope of a reply for some kind of ETA on when they expect it to be resolved. I’ll update if I do hear anything.
Normally I would class this as a faulty unit and return it.
SubH users need to pile on the pressure to either get this fixed or return their units. Has it been confirmed that a firmware update will actually fix it?

SubH users need to pile on the pressure to either get this fixed or return their units. Has it been confirmed that a firmware update will actually fix it?

I agree. This is a serious problem, and not something minor that can be overlooked. I really hope it can be fixed.

1 Like