Moog Subharmonicon

Thanks so much @blakewalt! Got a busy day but will come back to this this evening… much appreciated!!

1 Like

the worst

1 Like

Thanks again @blakewalt - so much info and much appreciated. This will take some time to digest for sure :slight_smile: now makes sense how you’ve done what you’ve done. Last song I was like “wait, what, I thought that was a SubH” and now I get how you’ve done that. Nice one!

1 Like

@brucegill thanks! Glad if it’s useful somehow!
Perhaps I should put text in my videos to explain what I’m doing (and for me to remember as I don’t keep any of my settings, all my jams are one off ad libs and I can’t reproduce them haha)

2 Likes

SubH being controlled by CV from MPC One.

2 Likes

The subharmonicon is quite dominant in this one, similar to its counterpart the digitone later on.

I ended up rounding off the moog semimodular-trinity over the past year (adding DFAM and M-32).

My current setup are these 3 going into the OT, mangled there with record and play triggers and different scenes.
Additionally the DN and RD-8 are contributing their sounds.
All are multitracked into ableton.

:panda:

4 Likes

So above I talked about patching M32 KB (out) to SubH VCO1 (in). This is an example of that

I modified ‘Push Pull’ from Moog’s Subharmonicon + Mother 32 patch book to include a few more patches to KB. I used a Hosa ‘jack’ 5-way splitter to patch M-32 KB to M-32 VCF Cuttoff, SubH Cutoff, VCO1, and VCO2. The melody (the high notes) here are actually from the SubH, which shows how you can get a much longer melody than just 4 notes by modulating with the M-32 Keyboard. (This is also possible with any sequencer that has CV out.)

8 Likes

lovely!

1 Like

Nice collection of patches. Even some MIDI keyboard playing towards the end

10 Likes

Quick question:
What size patch cables would I need to connect a 3 tier setup,
say from the lowest point of the lowest patch bay to the highest of the high?
I thought maybe 30 cm but I want to be sure.

The 30cm are too short. I would recommend 40cm.

okay, thanks for the tip-off!

I recently got cables for my 3 tier setup, and decided on 1.5 foot cables (~45 cm). 1 foot (30 cm) will work, but barely, so if you want any extra slack, 40 cm is ideal I think. I find the 45 cm cables perhaps a bit on the long side, but are also fine.

Related: I don’t think there is a topic for the Moog Trinity yet (the Moog sound studio thread is really just for two tier systems, I guess). Is there interest in creating such a thread? I know I would like a place to discuss optimal cable length and debate whether the SH or M32 should be on the bottom…

1 Like

I like the M32 on the bottom as it is easier and more comfortable to access the buttons for the sequencer than having it in the middle. I have the Subharmonicon in the middle and Dfam on top.

1 Like

I have have M32 on bottom, SH in middle and Dfam on top too. I think it is the best way.

2 Likes

SubH on bottom, M32 middle and DFAM top, just seem to like it like that

1 Like

40 cm it is then!

I think such a topic might well prove useful once I rack up the trio. Necessity is the Mother 32 of invention…

Hi Sharmonicers.

I found a good deal on a Subharmonicon and ordered.
Gr8 fun and thinking of keeping this beast but I have some problems with the Quantizer like in this video

Rumor says that I need to recalibration using a sysex file called “subharmonicon_note_cal_00_127.syx” and that should do the trick.
I already wrote an email to Moog and left a message on their FB site but still no answer from them.

Have any of you guys had this problem? Anyone got the syx file laying around?

Got the Syx file from Moog

1 Like

There is now. I made a new thread to discuss the Moog Trinity. It pops up often enough – youtube, instagram, here – that I thought we needed a devoted place to talk about it.

1 Like