Model:Samples Tips & Tricks Thread

awesome man! i’ll be checking these out!

Sorry, didn’t write it by my lovely M:S…

I meant [Loop]

Is it possible to copy an entire pages sequence from one pattern to a specific page of another pattern?

1 Like

Yes, it is possible! I couldn’t find it in the manual anywhere, but I just tried it, and here’s how it works:

You must be in Grid Record/Step Sequencer mode for all of this (RECORD button lit)
On pattern 1, create a sequence of more that 16 steps, so it has multiple pages. Select the page that you want to copy.
Press and hold PAGE + FUNC (in that order)
With PAGE + FUNC held down, tap RECORD/COPY once. The screen will say ‘copy page’.
Switch to pattern 2. If desired, extend the sequence length and choose which page you want to paste to.
Press and hold PAGE + FUNC (in that order)
With PAGE + FUNC held down, tap STOP/PASTE once. The screen will say ‘paste page’.
That’s it!

The trick is to press the PAGE button first, because FUNC + PAGE (in that order) brings up the Scale Setup menu, which isn’t what you want. PAGE + FUNC (in that order) gets you ready to copy and paste pages either within the same pattern or into a different patterns.

Also, in case you haven’t noticed, if you create a 16 step sequence and then extend the sequence length, each subsequent page will be copies of the first page. So the M:S does some of the work for you, automatically.

7 Likes

If you work with ableton and m4l you can turn it into a 6 note polyphonic wavetable synth or a 3 note dual layer polyphonic wavetable synth using singles cycle wavetables, just saying…

2 Likes

Another great trick: beautify your M:S.

1 Like

Okay so 1st attempt failed. I then made sure the pattern I switched from had completed, so the pattern number had stopped flashing. Then it worked but only partly, as it only pastes in the current active track. I was hoping to paste all track sequence for a certain page. Anyway, I don’t suppose it’ll be show stopper. Thanks

Maybe works in the M:S too, it does on the Model:Cycles. I wonder if there are more hidden midi features…

LFO trigger mode via midi CC

LFO Reset via Midi CC works as a LFO trigger mode (Same as Analog Four for example)

• CC108 value 0 FRE is the default free-running mode. The LFO
    run continuously, never restarting or stopping.
  • CC108 value 1 TRG makes LFO1 restart when a note is played.
  • CC108 value 2 HLD makes LFO1 run free in the background, but
    when a note is played the output LFO1 level is
    latched and held still until the next note is played.
  • CC108 value 3 ONE will make LFO1 start from the beginning
    when a note is played, run for one cycle and then
    stop. This makes it similar to an envelope.
  • CC108 value 4 HLF will make LFO1 start from the beginning
    when a note is played, run for half a cycle and
    then stop.

Example, polyphonic Dual layer kick with half cycle LFOs

I would say HLF behaves more like an actual envelope, but anyway, this is great!!! One and half cycle trigger modes are great for drums.

The trigger mode can be save inside the presets, the only thing is if you deactivate reset it can not be retrieved.
You just need to save 3 presets as starting points in the Cycles (Hold, One, Half), open them, load the machine of choice and start editing with those new trig modes.

I hope they do not fix it…:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

…some of those also apply to the other elektrons too so might be worth checking the threads for each machine and try apply the ones mentioned in there, see if they work :smiley:

Ah, I see. I don’t think it is possible to copy pages from all tracks at once, only one page from a single track. To accomplish what you are after, it might be faster to copy the whole sequence and then delete the pages you don’t want. This would certainly be the fastest method if the pages you want to keep are all page 1 on each track. If they are later pages, this will be more laborious. Keep in mind that shortening a sequence will delete the later pages, so if you want to save page 3 of a 64 step sequence for example, you could copy it onto page 1 and then shorten the sequence to 16 steps.

1 Like

With 1.12 OS now it is possible to parameter lock the PAN parameter.

The new settings in the pad menu includes pan as a destination for velocity which of course is p-lockable. Negative Ddep is left and + is right.

6 Likes

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the way the folders behave on the Model: Samples?

What I mean is, when you’re digging through the folders, when you move to another track for example it will immediately switch to the sample that is currently assigned to that track. So if you find a sample you want to use and want to throw it on another track, you end up having to navigate back to it after switching tracks.

It throws me off because I owned the Cycles first and the Cycles folders do not do this, it stays on the last selected preset when moving between tracks and even if you close the machine/preset menu as long as you don’t use “Back” navigate out it will remain there.

Maybe this behavior makes more sense for a sampler’s folder navigation? This is my first sampler so maybe it will make more sense to me over time if that is the case.

3 Likes

You don’t need to hold FUNC when copying a page, just PAGE+COPY / PAGE+PASTE / PAGE+CLEAR works. Same with the TRACK button and the trig buttons.

7 Likes

Small trick when clearing current track sound ([TRACK] + [PLAY]): To continue browsing from current sample, press [WAVE] first, then [TRACK] + [PLAY]. This way the browser will remain at the current sample’s location. Also handy if you just want to reset sound data and continue with the same sample.

9 Likes

What kinds of samples work best for your specific workflow? For instance, I like to use a hihat with a medium/long decay and set the LFO to modulate the decay at a negative value to get some variation. It is especially fun on the random LFO setting or with a poly-rhythmic meter so the variations are not as predictable to a me or any listener.

4 Likes

You cant have a condition (like NEI) on top of a percentage can you? Or you mean the global trackchance as opposed to trigcondition?

Unfortunately not, any conditional trig will override the setting of the track change knob. I think that would be a cool feature, but it would get a bit complex.

What I was referring to in my comment is that you could use NEI on Track 2 and a percentage on Track 1. That way they both fire together, but controlled by a single percentage. Though I’ve found inverse NEI to be far more useful, as it creates these ‘either/or’ type beats, which I find more pleasing.

Also, when I made that comment I thought that NEI was looking at tracks on either side of the track with the NEI condition. That’s not true, it is only looking at the track with the next lower number (so the track to the left). T6 is looking at T5, T5 is looking at T4, etc. That means that you can’t really use NEI on T1, since there is no T0 (and it doesn’t appear to loop around and look at T6, which is what I expected).

Controlling LFO retriggers/modes with parameter locks.

In the pad menu set Vdep to 0.

Set DST to “mode”

Set Ddep to 2.

A trigger velocity of 0 to 31 is free run mode.

Velocity of 32 to 63 is retrigger mode. (retriggers the LFO when note is played.

Velocity of 64 to 95 is hold mode. Current value of LFO is sampled when note is triggered and held until the next note is triggered.

Velcity of 95 to 126 plays a half cycle and then stops.

Velocity of 127 is one cycle and then stops.

Example:

To get an LFO that always syncs to the first note but then free runs set the first note’s velocity to 32 and then on the subsequent notes set the velocity to 0. The first note triggers (resets) the LFO and subsequent notes allow the LFO to free run but always locked to the same phase.

Example 2:

Set velocity to 64 and enter a series of notes with that velocity. Set LFO destination to affect pitch (as an example). Each note will sample the LFO at a specific point. The sampling rate is determined by the LFO speed and multiplier.

You lose volume velocity with this method but this can be worked around by parameter locking the volume (DIST) parameter.

20 Likes

My man! This right here is the goods! Thanks.

Reshaping a pattern by turning down the tempo by half or more and using retrig to fill in the blanks😃

1 Like