The Elektron documentation thread

Octatrack. Former commands are still in manual, p86.

Thank you.

1 Like

I think section 15.2.3 in the Digitakt 1.50 manual (page 64) has some obsolete information. The second point 2 says “Press [FUNC] + [SRC] to open the RAM memory sample slot list.” This now (in 1.50) opens the Machines menu. I think you have to turn the Samp encoder (D) to get to this list.

1 Like

@eangman What about putting solutions for common error messages like ‘bank unavailable’ on the OT in the manual?

I forgot if I already asked about it, sorry, but I thought it would be nice to have that.
We have threads asking about ‘bank unavailable’ quite regularly, but also other possibly bug related error messages from time to time.

OT MKII manual. Pickups.
This is from OT MKI, it should be REC 1 and REC 2 instead of AB / CD.

1 Like

There’s an omission in Model Samples documentation: LFO Mode as a destination for velocity modulation.

I’ve not been able to find anything in the manuals to tell you how this works.

There was a guide posted in the M:S Tips and Tricks thread in Mar '20.

However, I have just been experimenting and I think a recent firmware update (1.13?) might have changed things. My update is here

I would really like to see the official docs, as I merely corrected what the previous poster found … there may be more to it.

In the Analog Four manual, swing trigs are mentioned once, in the list of elements that are included in a pattern. There is no discussion of what they are and how to use them in the section devoted to the Swing menu.

1 Like

Assuming this is a TYPO? otherwise further clarification of what FOLLOW FW means would be great.

OT manual page 139…

EDIT: Its a re-occuring mistake throughout APPENDIX C: MIDI CONTROL REFERENCE starting from page 137.

P.S. The Map/Track and Follow TM documentation is confusing, maybe could use some revising.

1 Like

We were musing over in this thread about how it might not be specified in the manual for A4/AK that LIVE RECORDING records note lengths.

A small mistake in the A4 MKII manual, under the Step Recording Mode section (page 40) - should be a RED light that indicates the active track, instead of green.

On page 12 of the AR MKII manual, under 8. AUDIO IN L/R:
Should be TRS plugs for the balanced connection, in addition to mono plugs.

but it is a mono signal - the colloquial ‘connector’ description is going to create confusion - if it’s a mono + (balanced) then … this is implicitly a TRS (compatible) connection, but it’s definitely not stereo (per connector)

1 Like

You are correct.
Edited my post.

1 Like

In the Syntakt manual there is the below pasted text, it took me a long time to find this information because its not listed in the midi implementation section where it should be (imo). Its one thing to include a verbose explanation of midi note in functionality over auto channel but its another to leave it out of the midi implementation tables in the appendix. Is there a reason its been published this way?

7.12 MIDI NOTES
Some functions on the Syntakt can be triggered by sending MIDI note values from an external MIDI device
(a MIDI keyboard or a computer, for example) connected to the Syntakt via a standard MIDI cable or a USB
2.0 A to B connector cable.
7. INTERACTING WITH THE SYNTAKT
Of the 128 notes in the standard MIDI range, Note numbers 0–11 correspond to notes C0 through to B0, the
leftmost octave (which is sometimes called C-2–B-2 in certain applications). These notes will trigger the
sound of track 1 through track 12, respectively (provided they are set to their default channels 1-12). These
notes values map to each of the 12 tracks, regardless of which track is active.
MIDI note numbers 12–84, that corresponds to notes C1–C7 (C5, MIDI note 60, being middle C) will trigger
the sound of the active track in its 73 note variations (as if played by the [TRIG] keys in KEYBOARD mode,
from lowest to highest pitch. For more information, please see “7.9 KEYBOARD MODE” on page 23.
MIDI program change messages 0–127 will select pattern 1–128 (A01–H16) on the Syntakt.

Same story with Digitakt Manual (8.4 MIDI NOTES).

In the Digitone manual (8.4 MIDI NOTES), I think the PC messages should really be listed in “Appendix B: Midi Implementation”. The only place program change messages are mentioned is in the midi notes section… why? PC isn’t implemented with midi notes!

Notes can be a synonym of Info

and don’t forget that the manual is primarily written by a Swede, so the ambiguity you see is not necessarily seen the same way for the author

The MIDI Implementation data is skewed more towards dry information for nerds, rather than basic operation imho - but i’m sure the feedback will be appreciated

Look it could be a synonym, but thats not really the point I was making anyway.

The point is: All information regarding control by midi should be listed in the Midi Implementation Appendix. Its an issue for ST, DT and DN manuals.

If I’m configuring a controller to use with an elektron box (Oh wait! Does that make me a nerd? Sorry but I’m pretty sure you’ve gotta be a nerd to be into making electronic music in the first place, guess I’ll take that as a compliment), all that info should be in the midi implementation section so I can find it quickly, conveniently and consistently. The Octatrack manual has both midi note implementation and cc listed there… why not DT/DN/ST?

it wasn’t directed at you … all i was saying (as a nerd) is that i see an appendix in a manual for a certain type of info - above the basics threshold - most will need the basic info, only some will use the details

i have no issue finding midi information in the documentation when it is divided up like this - it pretty much has to be imho - in any case, let the author reflect on your point, maybe they’ll take it on board, perhaps with pointers to earlier sections …

Hey don’t take my compliment away!!!

Sure at least a pointer eg:

APPENDIX B: MIDI
This appendix lists the CC and NRPN specification for the Digitakt, for information on controlling Digitakt with MIDI notes please see 8.4 MIDI NOTES on page 23.

But I cant see why you wouldn’t just list it there in the section with all the other MIDI information, what’s basic/advanced is for the user and their needs to decide IMO.

I won’t tag the amazing human that writes the manuals (who does an incredible job and I am very thankful for) on this because its their thread anyway and I’m sure they will reply if they feels its appropriate. but yeah… why?

1 Like

I guess that’s the art of ‘technical’ documentation … a balance has to be struck, for sure an appendix can be denser … but for some stuff it would be even less fair to bury it there alone … that’s the balance i imagine is being struck

the ‘compliment’ is freely yours to embrace if you are a true frequenter of the appendix :wink: … i was just trying to make a distinction for how the division may be formed between main/appendix i.e. key/advanced

even adding pointers could get messy, it’s not easy getting it right … but having a pointer like that or even an abridged version of the related text could be handy - no issues with that idea, just commenting on why it might be structured as it is

“Midi Notes” as a subsection title should be changed imho … unless it’s a subsection exclusively about Midi Notes (and not notes about Midi)