Timestretch loops on M/S?

Been checking out this technique for digitakt

But cant seem to get it to work on model samples. Do u need to be able to lock trig 1 to retrigger the lfo? Im still a newbie with MS.

Anyone doing timestretch on MS?

1 Like

It’s not possible to restart the LFO on trig 1 with M:S, which is crucial to make the result consistent.
I am however very curious if anyone has a workaround to this workaround…

It is possible, thanks to @kraster’s info!

I just tried, and it works!

First I used the Velocity Destination as an LFO reset as described here:

Then I followed the Digitakt steps as mentioned here:

With a minor tweak to the LFO settings: Mul x1 and LFO speed -32 worked for me.

I haven’t found any M:S tutorials online, so I’ll try and make a video to show how I did it.

3 Likes

Sweet! Will have to check this out

I’m waiting for video! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, me too, but I’m moving house at the moment, so this is where my Model:Samples is at:

I made a video demo cobbling together the tips from @dialectrics, @kraster, and @triandgle. Hopefully this helps some folks (and hopefully I haven’t overlooked something silly or overgeneralized a method)

9 Likes

Brilliant! Super clear demo! Definitely couldn’t have done this better, haha.

Additionally, I found that a 2-bar loop vs 4-bar loop require some tweaking with LFO depth (and the number of triggers added, obviously), but just keep it to doubles/halves.

2 Likes

Nice work. I did a crib sheet for myself a week or two ago but never got around to the full explanation for the forum. Now you’ve done the explanation, it’s worth adding my quick reference I think.

Pad menu

VDep 0
Dst MODE
DDep 2.0

Trigs

Vel 0 - free run, no LFO reset (actually, anything from 0-31)
Vel 33 - reset the LFO (actually, anything from 32-63)

Trigs on every step

Sample Start

Sample Length

LFO

Wav Saw
Mul (see later)
Dest STRT
Dep -30.0

LFO settings for matching a 32-step loop

LFO Mul x2
LFO Speed 32

Now play with tempo and pitch independently

LFO settings for matching a 16-step loop

LFO Mul x4
LFO Speed 32

EDIT: I should have added that the above was only made possible by the contributions of others further up the thread, and in the parallel thread. ‘Can it time stretch like the digitakt does’.

6 Likes

Thanks for the kind words and more generalized setting tips, @triandgle and @bibenu! This cheat sheet is lovely. I have updated the video description because sample length is a pretty big thing to overlook

3 Likes

And guess who overlooked it ? I just updated my cribsheet :slight_smile:

Hahaha. I had meant the number of bars a sample is expected to run, but this is important too. :grin:

1 Like

you can tell it’s working when the auto generated subtitles say so :wink:

5 Likes

Hoisted, by my own hubristic captioning!

This is awesome! The velocity to LFO trigger is such a great workaround.

1 Like