Model:Samples Tips & Tricks Thread

Something that might not seem obvious to everyone is that you can step lock parameters of the lfo other than it’s speed. I didn’t read the manual, maybe it was in there.

Ah I just see someones mentioned it.

If you’re using Abelton or Bitwig you can just add extra LFO’s via m4l etc, just route them to midi 1-6 and set cc, easy.

/

POLYRHYTHMUS.gif

If you were to use this in ableton you could sequence loads of cc polyrhythmicly

Is there a quick way/button combo to save the entire project on M:S?
(so not the temp save you use to fix shit after ctrl all)

I would like to hear your tips & tricks about sound design / mixing of the tracks

I know every sound can be a world, but…
Some general rules to follow? For instance, ‘kicks cutoff should always 0 or lower’, and stuff like that

Another example about what I mean, I read some user mentioning how Velocity parameter affects some sounds to sound better in the mix, specially with synth sounds. Any experience with that?

I am not really disgusted about M:S but I have the impression I could get it sound very much better, so I would love to read your tips about that :open_book: :ok_hand:t3:

By the way… This post works :joy:
I have started using FILL mode last weeks. I knew all the theory but I didn’t know it is fired by holding the Page button. Yeah, I rock :v:t3:

1 Like

Projects and settings: The manual states that “general settings” are saved with a project. Does this mean all settings are saved with a projects, or only some of them? E.g. MIDI port settings?

They do. Probably just bad wording.

1 Like

I can confirm it applies only to current project
Verified last days, while opening some old project & having to reconfigure all the MIDI stuff

2 Likes

Okay, thanks. Good to know.

but can you save a template pattern with all the midi settings etc?

Yea, one of the first things I did was creating a near empty Template with my settings and using this as a start always.

1 Like

Not sure if this is a tip or trick, as it is plainly stated in the manual, which I promise I have read several times.
I missed this little bit of gold until just a few minutes ago…

WTF!?!?!

How have I put 100+ hours into this thing and not ever thought about this?

Maybe I’m the only person who missed this gem when reading the manual?
Or…
Maybe this post will save you from the same face slappping moment I just experienced.

Edit after using this functionality with a few tracks… feeling real foolish for having overlooked this feature for so long. It’s right up there with chance/mutes/conditions as far as tools for live variations.

13 Likes

Might have been metioned before…

If you have a kick sample with a weak bass/fundamental, crank the resonance a bit, sweep the filter up in the highpass mode and you should find the fundamental and then you can essentially do what you do with a bell eq.

4 Likes

How to deal with the ‘Memory full’ thing? Is it per project? Per pattern?

When this happens, should we clear samples in RAM folder? Or what is the way to deal with it? Maybe just removing some patterns would make some room?

1 Like

Let me answer myself :roll_eyes:

“Use LEVEL/DATA knob to navigate to the RAM folder and the sample you want to unload.
Press FUNC + LEVEL/DATA to unload the sample, by selecting YES”

However, ‘Memory full’ still there
Not sure if I am doing it right

Answer myself again, just unloading more samples did the trick

And now… The tip
Be careful when doing this, remember which concrete samples did you have in your current tracks, because unloading them from RAM folder does unassign them in the tracks where they are assigned. I didn’t expect that, but now I’ll be extremely careful with this in the future :sweat_smile:

I think this should be better explained in the manual. I understood RAM as some kind of shortcuts collection so I was expecting RAM would be automatically refilled after cleaning some stuff, keeping all samples in current working patterns

4 Likes

Here’s the procedure to chain patterns with the first pattern repeated. I don’t know if this how this is supposed to work or a fortuitous bug, but it works on OS 1.12:

1. Press and hold [ PTN ].

2. Press and hold any [ TRIG 1–16 ] that is not the desired first pattern in the chain (continue holding throughout).

3. Press the desired first pattern [ TRIG 1–16 ] and then release. (Ignore the temporary chain displayed on the screen).

4. Release [ PTN ] then press and hold again.

5. Finally, press the desired first pattern [ TRIG 1–16 ] multiple times to repeat the first pattern.

9 Likes

Happened again yesterday :pensive:
So, I will change my way to work with this machine. From now, just 1 song / jam per project. I don’t want to lose my work again

It is maybe what people normally do, but it’s not what I have been doing. In my case, I was working ‘one song/jam per bank’ (so, 6 of them per project), but I have realized this is a memory killer (at least with the samples size I work)

I thought it might be helpful to have an outline of a potential workflow involving custom project/pattern templates. It takes a bit of setup, but I think it’s a good approach for now (still :crossed_fingers: on future productivity-oriented updates).

1. Default Project Template: Create a project template that you can duplicate each time you start a new project. This template will store your preferred MIDI settings and a copy of your custom pattern template on each pattern slot.

2. Default Pattern Template: Create a pattern template with your preferred default settings and paste it onto every pattern slot in the project.

This template will store your default assigned samples and parameters for each track; track settings, pad settings and scale settings; and also global settings such a tempo, click, reverb, delay etc.).

Reload your template pattern by pressing [FUNC] + [PATTERN] . If you’ve saved changes to your default pattern, you can instead paste a fresh copy of the template pattern from another slot.

3. Default Track: To return a single track to your preferred default settings, take a copy of the track from your default pattern using [TRACK] + [COPY] and paste it onto the desired track using [TRACK] + [PASTE] .

4. Avoid Clearing Patterns/Tracks: The commands below will recall factory defaults settings. It will, however, often be more productive to take a copy of your custom default pattern.

[PATTERN] + [TRIG] key(s) + [PLAY] clears the pattern and returns it to the factory default state.

[TRACK] ​ + ​ [PLAY]​ clears the track’s sound data and returns it (broadly) to factory default settings.

9 Likes

I’ve been wondering how I could make a 30 minute set on M:S, difficult as my stuff is spread across multiple projects. But then I tried copying a pattern then loading a new project, and it works! You can paste the pattern into a newly loaded project.

Probably obvious for those that use this often, I’ve been so used to other Elektron boxes workflow I just assumed you couldn’t do that! :sunglasses:

11 Likes

You can now: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1522995351

2 Likes