Model:Samples battery handle pack

I’m seriously thinking of learning how to design and 3d print a custom one. Gotta get a 3d printer first though :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Ha sounds like a plan. Start a kickstarter

Haha, I don’t want to step on any toes!

1 Like

it sure felt like it would be the first ‘self’ powered elektron device that we would take anywhere without thinking…

now there is an ultra cheap usb cord that works out there, amazon has it for ex.

it sure feels weird to have it attached to a powerbank tbh, I dont need it plugged into anything, I never felt it was a studio item that needed to stay plugged in the studio.

Sold it, went back to my digitakt and my studio space.

now it looks like Roland grabbed a page out of the MS book with the 101. It is fun and portable and around the same price.

Always buy something for what it does and never for what it might do I guess… :frowning:

1 Like

the same for me
Rhythm is a Breeze

Has there been any indication when this battery handle thing might arrive?

No.

Regarding battery powered Model:Samples: it has a “battery” power profile, with reduced LCD and LED brightness (defaults to “Low”, but you can turn it up to Mid or Max!). It draws about 0.27A from a 5V battery on Low brightness, and about 0.33A on Max brightness. So I estimate that 4* x 1.5V AA batteries with 2000mAh capacity would power it for about 6 hours… And a slim 6000mAh powerbank for about 18 hours! :wink:

I assume that the BP-1 handle will have space for 4 AA batteries. There’s room for 4 AAs judging by Model:Samples width, and 3 AA batteries probably wouldn’t provide enough juice under load (battery connector is specified for min. 4 V).

4 Likes

Thanks for providing the current usage info! I couldn’t figure out how to test it myself.

I’ve had success with a 4xAA battery pack, but I did see someone else on here with a 3xAA pack.

I’m still considering getting a 3d printer so I can print my own accessories, but by the time I finish developing something I think Elektron will probably have the official version ready.

Has anyone tested what happens when the battery runs out? What’s the likelihood of data corruption happening? I’m guessing the current load increases slightly on memory write, so could potentially cause the unit to power down if the batteries are sufficiently drained?

I have the Model:Samples and haven’t ran across this battery situation but would assume it’s just like turning the power off manually. Anything unsaved prior would be erased.
Both turning off manually & battery fail is still turning the unit off which all basic save rules should apply.
As for the data corruption , I don’t think that would be an issue with internal storage.
Seems less likely to corrupt being that it’s flash memory and not processed through and external card. Just take our computers for example, they go out all the time with power outages and rarely have there been data corruption, if at all.
Just my 2 cents, could also be totally wrong.
But hopefully battery fail corruption shouldn’t be an issue as it probably would be common for someone to leave it on. I know I probably would, stepping away to cook something then lounging about after and, ut-oh left my Samples on yikes, my “best beat ever is lost” lol.

I’m mostly wondering since it takes a while to actually turn off when you hold the volume encoder down, but as I type this I realise that it’s like that so you can be sure you want to turn it off.

Made a track in my arm chair a couple nights ago, hooked up to a little USB battery that went into the side DC port.

I now want that battery handle more than ever.
I don’t even mind if it is AAs. Just looking forward to walking around the house with it and my open back Beyers, since the M/S is so lightweight.

7 Likes

Does anyone with product design or coding experience have a good guess at what might be holding this up?

Elektron are playing it tight-lipped so it’s tempting to be an armchair critic - ‘it takes you over a year to sort out a battery pack?!’ - while being oblivious to what goes on behind the scenes to make this kind of product happen.

I would guess this -

The Model:Samples didn’t perform as estimated, and as such, isn’t considered a priority as far as resources go for product development, production and manufacturing. The battery pack has been pushed from its initial planned release, due to other, more pressing matters. New products, continuation of existing ones, and so on.

I would guess they got working prototypes of it and that it’s performing well, but not perfect, and the sprint required to get it into shape and then manufacture and sell it, would not convert into more Model:Samples customers nor appeal to all of the existing ones. Not everybody with an M:S will buy this battery pack. So the business case is probably weak, in hindsight.

This could mean that they either launch it, any day now or still down the line, or cancel it with a calculated risk of potential returns and bad rep weighed against what new product launches might bring.

I have absolutely no idea if any of this is the case. So it’s just a guess, and not an objective truth.

3 Likes

My call is that it will be released alongside the next model.

1 Like

Seems like a reasonable guess, given that successful products usually don’t see an across-the-board 25% price cut less than a year after launch.

1 Like

That seems a pretty fair assessment - thanks for the insight!

Here’s hoping the ‘cancel it and take the flak’ option doesn’t come true :grimacing:

It’s simply been delayed massively by production issues.

21 Likes

Thanks @Ess. Are you guys on top of the issues now or still working out the solution(s)?

Either way, best of luck!

Production can be extremely tricky in some cases, it’s usually what delays projects or puts Kickstarters into failure - but yes, we are on top of it. Can’t say when it will be ready though. :slight_smile:

16 Likes