MFB Dominion 1

I use the Pro-3 as my go to mono but sometimes, when it’s late at night, I cover it and secretly watch @DaveMech reviews of the Dominion 1. I always planned on getting one someday. The Pro-3 has the tools to make pretty much any sound imaginable but I’ve always been curious to experience the raw osc and quirkiness of the Dominion 1. Once I read it’s discontinued I felt a rush of anxiety; that’s when I went ahead an ordered one second hand. Am I crazy?

3 Likes

You’re not crazy. I never should have sold mine. Such a pleasing machine. Every time i switched it on i would have a smile on my face within five minutes.

1 Like

That would be really great! All ur reviews are awesome!

1 Like

Definitely not crazy. It’s a very special mono. :slight_smile:

@shinobi thanks ! Unfortunately never got a response to that.

:frowning: U could speak to thomann… I’m sure they would be pretty helpful :wink:

You think yeah?
Could try :slight_smile:

1 Like

Think also this way too: If u like it as much as Dominion One… you can get a cheap easy to transport Dominion One like, for your live sets. :wink: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha yeah when it was released it crossed my mind. But it misses some key features that I really love about the dominion 1 I remember. :slight_smile: So for now now I just sample the heck out of d1 into octatrack :wink:

Still, club is interesting.

I have the pro 3 and just got the dominion.

Wow. Blown away by it. I get the hype and praise.

The pro 3 is an absolutely incredible machine, a technical and musical marvel. So much fun too.

I’d put the dominion right up there, only it has more character. For me the pro 3 sequencer is the star of the show. The dominion doesn’t have that, but the sound and features are really special.

9 Likes

oh that MFB dominion 1 trailer…isn’t it the most fantastic demo ever? i got a bit bent and listened to it with earphones while star trek voyager was on it was a fabulous experience i blewd my brain nods

5 Likes

Nice. All Dominion?

Apparently yes?

Anyone catch this Reverb listing?! Sold for $3800…ouch. It was just a couple months ago that I saw one go for $1800 or so. Wonder if this is the new normal price…

Shiiiiiiiiiiiit!

I turned one down for less than a grand a couple of years ago.

1 Like

Well I saw one sell for a low as $1400 the last few months…so who knows. I have a 501 Pro and what’s crazy is what people are asking for them now, $400-700. I like mine but would never consider paying more than what it retailed for. A growing collectors market for MFB now I am guessing.

1 Like

Sadly it seems to be - I have loved MFB synths since I got a Synth Lite II ~20 years ago and have been trying to round them up as I can afford to do so, but now that seems increasingly unlikely to happen. Ah well.

1 Like

I’ve was contemplating selling a handful of things to get a Dominion 1 but I guess I can cross that stress out of my life although I’ll likely still check Craigslist every other day for the next few years :wink:

edit: but with that said it seems like somethings such as the Dominion Club sells second hand close to the retail price. I guess the things which were made in the few years before the owner died are in short supply comparatively.

2 Likes

I always tell myself that most of the things that the MFB synths I don’t have (like a Dominion 1) can be done by the ones I do (like a Dominion Club). Not exactly the same, of course, but the general raw sound is there – or other capabilities in the case of the Urzwerg sequencer, which come to think of it, I’ve never connected to the DC by midi as they live on opposite sides of the room… I do have a long midi cable though, so that’s a plan.

1 Like

So of the boxes that haven’t gone crazy in price yet which of the ones that you have would you the most strongly recommend?

I sampled and saved a lot of sounds from 501 and half consider selling it and investing in a Dominion Club.

Hopefully this isn’t getting too far off topic (there’s also the MFB thread). In many ways – if you can find one – the Dominion Club is the one I keep returning to most. The raw sound of the two analogue oscillators is terrific (I most often use the DC as a bass synth); the third 2-op FM osc gives a nice amount of variety, even if it is extremely limited. The LFO routing is pretty flexible, the envelopes are extremely good, from snappy to long, and the multi-mode filter is phenomenal.

Modulation options are great (the LFOs are continuous too) and while some of the shift-button combinations are a little fiddly, everything is well marked on the front panel. I wish it had patch points sometimes, though most parameters are controllable by midi cc, (even if the chart in the manual is apparently wrong in some places) and I’ve spent many nights just making rambling sequences on the Club on its own, powered by a USB battery pack.

I just looked on Audiofanzine in France, and there’s a Dominion 1 going for just under retail price in supposedly mint condition; but I can’t afford it right now in any case, so hopefully it’ll find a good home.

4 Likes