MFB Dominion 1

That is high but that raw sound though.

I had a feeling it was high, but I was compelled to pull the trigger
The sound really is something special

2 Likes

If the dominion 1 was more available in the states then it would take away from sub 37 sales. How much does it way? Is it 50 pounds like the voyager ?

I think its about 35 lbs Ill have to check
Like it much better that sub 37, plus the S37 is everywhere.

1 Like

This thing is amazing. Sounds like a live wire, filter is beautiful. Highly recommended to anyone considering!

5 Likes

Yeap. It’s a monster synth. I play on it a lot. Also use it live with two mates of mine. We have a project called ‘Desynk’. Audio/visual improvised techno. If anyone’s interested, there’s a lot of dominion 1 to be heard here. The sweet spot of this synth is enormous and the filter really is magical.

2 Likes

Dave what is the filter like? Moog? Juno? Wasp? SEM?

Definitely not a moog vibe. Other than that not sure. It’s a multi-mode filter, so there’s many tastes to explorer. The cool thing is, that you can self-oscillate each kind of filter even the 6db lp filter (LP4). You can also route the output after the mix stage back into the external audio in and that will make the filter even more gritty. I’m in love with the LP3 (12db lp). I use it by far the most of all. And routing the audio after the filter (VCF out) back into the external in, with LP3 active and pretty high resonance, is beautiful, really beautiful.

All in all, I think this filter has its own magical vibe going.

1 Like

The band pass is pretty interesting too. Four modes of BP:

BP1 – band pass with 18 dB low pass and 6 dB high pass
BP2 – band pass with 12 dB low pass and 12 dB high pass
BP3 – band pass with 6 dB low pass and 6 dB high pass
BP4 – band pass with 6 dB low pass and 12 dB high pass

And at the upper ranges of some of them there’s really cool sounding distortion.

2 Likes

My experience with the Dom 1 has been ambivalent. I will probably never sell it and it’s the synth I feel most connected with. But it took me some time to find my personal sweet spots (except simple subtractive patches that surely sound great due to the sound quality of the osc and filter).
You need to invest a little bit more time and considerations to approach the Dom1 when aiming for more detailed sounds. Sometimes the sound lacks a specific nuance and then you need to learn how to achieve it (generally). In most situations it’s doable internally. Playing with the osc modulations and fm live is fun but quickly leads to wicked sounds (when not done in a sensible manner). Latter doesn’t reflect its super smooth ‘organic’ side which I like the most. When discovered it sounds irresistible. It’s definitely a synth for life long exploration.

The sequencer is not that accessible but once learned it’s also enjoyable. I recently got surprised when I found out how to navigate through the steps and edit them. It gets really interesting when playing paraphonic sequences.

This is a Dominion 1, Digitakt and Reface DX set I played. The Dom1 was used in both monophonic and paraphonic modes.

2 Likes

Hi :slight_smile:

I’ve released two in depth videos about the dominion 1. Next week two more videos. I thought it would be nice to go over every aspect of this synth. This instrument deserves more attention.

Enjoy!

11 Likes

Thanks for this. I LOVE this synth and have been wanting to buy one for a while now. I just might after these videos :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too, so tempting!

2 Likes

Sweet. They’re on my list of things to watch for sure.

Any experience with the tiny dominion club? How does it compare to the 1 in your opinion?

Interested to know about this comparison also. The Club is certainly more in my price range.

I’d be interested to hear a direct comparison between the two as well, as I’ve had a Club for ages, but do tend toward running sequenced loops on it in a somewhat abstract way and tweaking the parameters more than plugging in a keyboard and playing. One immediately obvious difference is of course the third FM option on the Club, which brings a nice metallic twang to proceedings.

1 Like

It won’t disappoint you :slight_smile: Next week more sound examples!

I don’t have the dominion club. Would love to compare them though. They are different enough. Dominion club would be lovely for a live setup. I’ll send an e-mail to MFB to see if I can make something happen. Don’t think they’ll lend me one to review, but never know :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Do you have the Digitone in the shot as a size reference, or for other reasons? I’ve been eyeing a Dominion 1 for a while, so thanks for putting out these quality videos!

1 Like

Episodes 3 was released last week:

This week episode 4 with lots of sound examples and a little jam. Enjoy!

@cold_fashioned I ran the dominion through the digitone. In this fourth episode you’ll know why: I use the fx from digitone on the dominion 1. :slight_smile:

4 Likes