MFB Dominion 1

Thanks for the feedback will mull over it and check the general MFB thread. Cheers!

1 Like

The Synth Pro and Dominion 1 both sound so nice.
Iā€™m always blown away when I return to check out the reviews. So damn moody stuff.

If I remember correctly from the Sonicstate review there was some quite essential things kinda lacking from the Dominion, at least at the time the video was shot, but still it would be very nice to own one, or at least to be able to try one out.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t heard or used anything that comes close to the Dominion 1. Itā€™s stupid good.

This is just a spontaneous patch using it in paraphonic mode with OTO Bam as a send that i recorded just now. Playing with filter cutoff+res, lfo rate and FM mod. You can get such raw, majestic tones that at the same time sound so vulnerable. And everything in between.

3,8k is kind of ridiculous but Iā€™d probably pay 2k for it now and not feel cheated. Never selling mine. If you can get it, get it.

11 Likes

Sounds a LOT like a perfourmer in that patch.

1 Like

The perfourmer is a gem of a synth from the videos Iā€™ve seen. But I think they have different attitudes, from the perfourmer demos Iā€™ve heard. Would love to hear something similar if you have a link?

1 Like

Maybe Iā€™ll try to do it this weekend and post a wav for ya :-). People neglect the fm and rougher sounds the perfourmer can do.

1 Like

If you or a another elektronaut is interested, Iā€˜m sometimes thinking of letting dom1 go (from switzerland)
Iā€˜m not in a hurry, it has some little but important things that i miss on bassstation
( manual mode ( knobs show actual value), super tight midi sinc, and arp, some amazing sounds, altough not all, having 2 envs for my semimodulars, with only 1ā€¦) and it always works without problem for quick jamming. But i canā€˜t play it loud and donā€™t have a studio where it pobably shines.
Modulation strip is bubbly ( was common early) but absolutely works, still old firmware as i donā€˜t have midi interface and courage, but i downlaoded the new one and instructions. Some update details also on gearspace.
To my surprise my mfb tanzbƤr also still works absolutely flawless. ( I also love the quick jamming there more than the sound, as i donā€˜t have compressors etc)
I love d1 for quick playing around or sequenced with dn and velocity mod.
Edit: a friend made a video test for a dn with d1 sketch, one track, mixing is trash as usual for me.
also shows that i was scared to modulate more to not get harsh. Its not all sweetspot for me as sv1 or dreadbox hades.
I have to try out modulate a patch and fine adjust vcf etc to sound nice on the whole patch.

1 Like

Thatā€™s nice of you to give a heads up. Iā€™m in the US, hopefully you find a deserving home (here) if you decide to let it go.

2 Likes

Almost forgot about this!

OK, I made a simple repeating loop with the vermona perfourmer (D2 mode) in a similar key to yours and put some Valhalla vintage verb on it (the closest thing I have to the BAM). I just messed with the oscillator sync, oscillator fm and filter fm, and lfo rates, but I didnā€™t mess with anything else (no changing attack, release, filter cutoff or resonance etc.). Listening back to yours now I guess I should have switched one of the oscillators to noise, but too late now lol. Hopefully it gives you a little idea.

6 Likes

Damn that sounds crisp, really nice. But, I would still argue that you need both synths :slight_smile:

1 Like

This must be one of the nicest patches Iā€™ve heard coming out of the MFB Dominion 1. Wonderful job!!

2 Likes

I just stumbled upon this older video i recorded and i think selling the Dominion 1 might have been the biggest mistake i made regarding my studio setup. :cry:
It can sound so lush and beautiful as well gnarly and crunchy.

What i didnā€™t like was the menu settings. I always knew there were more ā€œhiddenā€ features under the hood but accessing them wasnā€™t fun or immediate enough.

When i think back i wasnā€™t too happy with the controls in general. The sequencer seemed a bit buggy or just complicated to use for example. And i didnā€™t like the touch strips at all.

In the end i probably should have gave it a bit more time and might have found my way around.

10 Likes

That sounds great!

I did such a mistake twice. Now I donā€™t sell anything. Sometimes I hide a piece of gear in its box and open it after few months. Usually works :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The Dominion has the emotional character of the Vermona Perfourmer but with tons of more aggressive potential. Such a beautiful sounding synth.

6 Likes

Iā€™d prefer wheels instead of touch strips for sure. And I never learned the sequencer, arp sees a lot of use instead. But overall there is so much life and character in this synth.

The interaction between envelopes, contour, lfos, velocity and so on makes any sequence come alive with just small manual tweakings. Here is a simple example, just one track Dominion + drums:

5 Likes

Not sure if itā€™s been mentioned but they seem more plentiful now and have dropped in priceā€¦ if they ever bottom at $1500 I will have to sell a few things!

I just saw one for sale in Finland for 1050ā‚¬.
Feeling very tempted but Iā€™m able to resist.

1 Like

This is probably the perfect way to describe it. Absolutely agree.

1 Like

Wow, thank you @hausland!