MFB Dominion 1

Well I saw one sell for a low as $1400 the last few months…so who knows. I have a 501 Pro and what’s crazy is what people are asking for them now, $400-700. I like mine but would never consider paying more than what it retailed for. A growing collectors market for MFB now I am guessing.

1 Like

Sadly it seems to be - I have loved MFB synths since I got a Synth Lite II ~20 years ago and have been trying to round them up as I can afford to do so, but now that seems increasingly unlikely to happen. Ah well.

1 Like

I’ve was contemplating selling a handful of things to get a Dominion 1 but I guess I can cross that stress out of my life although I’ll likely still check Craigslist every other day for the next few years :wink:

edit: but with that said it seems like somethings such as the Dominion Club sells second hand close to the retail price. I guess the things which were made in the few years before the owner died are in short supply comparatively.

2 Likes

I always tell myself that most of the things that the MFB synths I don’t have (like a Dominion 1) can be done by the ones I do (like a Dominion Club). Not exactly the same, of course, but the general raw sound is there – or other capabilities in the case of the Urzwerg sequencer, which come to think of it, I’ve never connected to the DC by midi as they live on opposite sides of the room… I do have a long midi cable though, so that’s a plan.

1 Like

So of the boxes that haven’t gone crazy in price yet which of the ones that you have would you the most strongly recommend?

I sampled and saved a lot of sounds from 501 and half consider selling it and investing in a Dominion Club.

Hopefully this isn’t getting too far off topic (there’s also the MFB thread). In many ways – if you can find one – the Dominion Club is the one I keep returning to most. The raw sound of the two analogue oscillators is terrific (I most often use the DC as a bass synth); the third 2-op FM osc gives a nice amount of variety, even if it is extremely limited. The LFO routing is pretty flexible, the envelopes are extremely good, from snappy to long, and the multi-mode filter is phenomenal.

Modulation options are great (the LFOs are continuous too) and while some of the shift-button combinations are a little fiddly, everything is well marked on the front panel. I wish it had patch points sometimes, though most parameters are controllable by midi cc, (even if the chart in the manual is apparently wrong in some places) and I’ve spent many nights just making rambling sequences on the Club on its own, powered by a USB battery pack.

I just looked on Audiofanzine in France, and there’s a Dominion 1 going for just under retail price in supposedly mint condition; but I can’t afford it right now in any case, so hopefully it’ll find a good home.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback will mull over it and check the general MFB thread. Cheers!

1 Like

The Synth Pro and Dominion 1 both sound so nice.
I’m always blown away when I return to check out the reviews. So damn moody stuff.

If I remember correctly from the Sonicstate review there was some quite essential things kinda lacking from the Dominion, at least at the time the video was shot, but still it would be very nice to own one, or at least to be able to try one out.

2 Likes

I haven’t heard or used anything that comes close to the Dominion 1. It’s stupid good.

This is just a spontaneous patch using it in paraphonic mode with OTO Bam as a send that i recorded just now. Playing with filter cutoff+res, lfo rate and FM mod. You can get such raw, majestic tones that at the same time sound so vulnerable. And everything in between.

3,8k is kind of ridiculous but I’d probably pay 2k for it now and not feel cheated. Never selling mine. If you can get it, get it.

11 Likes

Sounds a LOT like a perfourmer in that patch.

1 Like

The perfourmer is a gem of a synth from the videos I’ve seen. But I think they have different attitudes, from the perfourmer demos I’ve heard. Would love to hear something similar if you have a link?

1 Like

Maybe I’ll try to do it this weekend and post a wav for ya :-). People neglect the fm and rougher sounds the perfourmer can do.

1 Like

If you or a another elektronaut is interested, I‘m sometimes thinking of letting dom1 go (from switzerland)
I‘m not in a hurry, it has some little but important things that i miss on bassstation
( manual mode ( knobs show actual value), super tight midi sinc, and arp, some amazing sounds, altough not all, having 2 envs for my semimodulars, with only 1…) and it always works without problem for quick jamming. But i can‘t play it loud and don’t have a studio where it pobably shines.
Modulation strip is bubbly ( was common early) but absolutely works, still old firmware as i don‘t have midi interface and courage, but i downlaoded the new one and instructions. Some update details also on gearspace.
To my surprise my mfb tanzbär also still works absolutely flawless. ( I also love the quick jamming there more than the sound, as i don‘t have compressors etc)
I love d1 for quick playing around or sequenced with dn and velocity mod.
Edit: a friend made a video test for a dn with d1 sketch, one track, mixing is trash as usual for me.
also shows that i was scared to modulate more to not get harsh. Its not all sweetspot for me as sv1 or dreadbox hades.
I have to try out modulate a patch and fine adjust vcf etc to sound nice on the whole patch.

1 Like

That’s nice of you to give a heads up. I’m in the US, hopefully you find a deserving home (here) if you decide to let it go.

2 Likes

Almost forgot about this!

OK, I made a simple repeating loop with the vermona perfourmer (D2 mode) in a similar key to yours and put some Valhalla vintage verb on it (the closest thing I have to the BAM). I just messed with the oscillator sync, oscillator fm and filter fm, and lfo rates, but I didn’t mess with anything else (no changing attack, release, filter cutoff or resonance etc.). Listening back to yours now I guess I should have switched one of the oscillators to noise, but too late now lol. Hopefully it gives you a little idea.

6 Likes

Damn that sounds crisp, really nice. But, I would still argue that you need both synths :slight_smile:

1 Like

This must be one of the nicest patches I’ve heard coming out of the MFB Dominion 1. Wonderful job!!

2 Likes

I just stumbled upon this older video i recorded and i think selling the Dominion 1 might have been the biggest mistake i made regarding my studio setup. :cry:
It can sound so lush and beautiful as well gnarly and crunchy.

What i didn’t like was the menu settings. I always knew there were more “hidden” features under the hood but accessing them wasn’t fun or immediate enough.

When i think back i wasn’t too happy with the controls in general. The sequencer seemed a bit buggy or just complicated to use for example. And i didn’t like the touch strips at all.

In the end i probably should have gave it a bit more time and might have found my way around.

10 Likes

That sounds great!

I did such a mistake twice. Now I don’t sell anything. Sometimes I hide a piece of gear in its box and open it after few months. Usually works :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The Dominion has the emotional character of the Vermona Perfourmer but with tons of more aggressive potential. Such a beautiful sounding synth.

6 Likes