MD sound examples of hihats and shakers

I’ve been looking into the MD for a while now, in my quest to find sound sources for synthesized hihats and shakers (in a techno context).

I have the Rytm mkII and the TR-8S, and am very happy with the synthesis opportunities these machine gives me. I’m also fully covered in the sample chain department (DT, Bitbox Micro)

Various hints here and there have given me the impression that the MD has hihat and cymbal machines that are present in neither the AR, M:C or ST, and I am curious to check them out.

I’m my search I got hooked on trying the MD workflow, and the rest of the machines as well, as it sounds like a really nice complement to the Rytm.

Trawling the forum I have been struggling to find examples of what these MD hihat and cymbal machines sound like out of the box, to get a chance to understand if they indeed bring something complementary to the Rytm.

@Jeanne has a great example, although dialed into territory I rarely go:

and I enjoyed Max Marco’s Elektron Machinedrum: Basic Beat Making a lot.

Apart from these two, I haven’t been able to find many examples, and especially “dry” ones, with just the MD machines and internal effects used.

I am taking pure MD machine synthesis of hihats, cymbals, shakers (and sand, Jeanne :slight_smile:), not samples.

Does anyone have link to videos, audio snippets or post here on the forum I missed?

1 Like

Raw-ish TX hats…

1 Like

I’m not sure if it will help but @Claid made a pretty extensive MD sample pack, you could check out the demos or the sound pack if you’re interested, there might be something similar to what you’re looking for.

2 Likes

This is great. Thank you. Will definitely check that out.
Apart from the above mentioned, massive shoutouts to @Claid, @waftlord and @Voltagectrlr for mind-blowingly inspiring MD material as well.

2 Likes

As I keep digging I keep discovering (some of) the prior research that has obviously been done by others before me.

1 Like

More great examples in this post. This is exactly the type of exposition I was hoping for :slight_smile:

(The post embedded a single SoundCloud Player, so nothing shows up when embedding the post)

Glad you found what you were searching for! Unfortunately the Machinedrum has no trig conditions and retrigs [if I’m not mistaken right now, sadly I had no time to mess around with MD since my post] unless with this Megacommand thing dangling off of it, so it’s almost best to sequence it externally …

1 Like

yah its sequencer is a bit lacking compared to todays, but there are many tricks to get along with it, a few tricks are p-locks, lfos which can s&h most parameters, and switching between classic and extended (in classic no p-locks will activate which can lead to some interesting variations, think having ghost notes in extended using a low vol then in classic mode they will play them full volume, which is good for fills), i dont have a megacommand but im sure that changes the game a bit as well

2 Likes