Can Elektron please start selling MachineDrums again?

EDIT: replacing my BLABLA with this:

Every violin can produce exactely the same sounds, but different strings, woods etc. will sound different and i might like one but not the other. That is what I am talking about in regards to the Digitone.

(Edit: also, I was actually talking about the PI machines :wink: )

… two times Digitone from me, to be paired with Syntakt …

4 Likes

Yeah, I can definitely understand that for your type of music (judging from the audio clips). The crispness is crucial.

The P-I machines do not sound any less crude or cardboardy imo. They sound cool, but they’re much more limited soundwise (simply put, their controls don’t go very far). They’re also a bit lofi. Maybe it’s a good idea to get someone with an MD to record some audio demos for you with the PI machines.

1 Like

heres a sample pack of MD oneshots that i stumbled upon a long time ago, might help you out whether you decide to buy one or not :slight_smile: https://we.tl/t-BTeGoi4cme

2 Likes

Sounds like you need a NordDrum. You’ll miss out on all the Elektron sequencer goodness but it definitely has that sound.

1 Like

I know, I know, but I’d rather buy an Opsix to (multi)sample than a Nord Drum to (multi)sample :wink:

1 Like

Actually it’s this video what made me interestet in the Machinedrum (linked by seazare56 a while ago):

at 1:11 is this cool ride-like sound, which then get’s turned into a cymbal sound. To be fair, at the low pitch it starts to sound dull, too - but who knows what’s to blame here … the recording, the settings, the machinedrum …

there’s also this:

4:40 … there are some really nice crispy sounds in that beat.

And there’s the manual … https://cdn.www.elektron.se/media/downloads/machinedrum/machinedrum_manual_OS1.63_1.pdf

Page 105 and on: hihat, ride, crash …

4 Likes

… or, I just get my butt up, get outside and continue this route with the gear I already have - my purse will be thankful :woozy_face:

6 Likes

This rocks, I can assure you that the PI machines don’t rock like this!

1 Like

I think you just answered your own question. For that ride sound, get a shovel and scrape it on some cobbles/tiles/some sort of stone for a bit and you’ll have enough material to create plenty of cymbals/rides/hats etc. :smiley:

3 Likes

@Oxenholme & especially @afuera

you’re right, I have those recordings (including cobbles and shovel) already, from Finland and France, all recorded multiple times for round robin, still on my Zoom H6 waiting to be put into Reaper and then Digitakt …

I also think one day I’ll just get an Opsix (currently 500 euros in my country) and sequence it from my Digitakt (program change and yada yada).

1 Like

Very wise GAS overcoming behaviour.

See folks ? That’s how it’s done.

giphy

1 Like

i’m not sure if all this appropriation that the md is a weapon is correct
giphy (1)

2 Likes

Speaking to this example, if it is actually done within a Korg DDD, a big part of this resulting sound is the pitch aliasing of the 12bit engine. I imagine that’s where the overlap in sound with the MD is what you desire.

Might be worth looking at some of the simpler lower rate samplers out there to feed the DT. PO33 and microgranny come to mind. The new Sonicware lofi would fit the bill too. Just have to make sure the pitch shift is done there before resampling to see the benefits.

1 Like

Not sure what you are refering to, the example is from the Korg Opsix and is at 0:12 of the soundcloud track.

I do actually hate digital lo-fi, and I’m searching for the opposite. What attracted me to the Machinedrum are the PI machines, which are physical modeling.

The vector art on the SoundCloud link is a Korg DDD1 drum machine. It had an optional rudimentary sampler on it and was used in some early hiphop. I inferred incorrectly that the audio example was done on it given the art.

1 Like

yeah, the art choice is really weird. And I didn’t notice it doesn’t say Opsix anywhere. I’ll add that to my comment. But thanks anyway :wink:

1 Like

the PI hihats and such are something to behold, they can be extremely harsh and abrasive because of their rich harmonic content (so rich its almost noise) that probably goes over the nyquist freq. if you arent a fan of digi-lofi then MD might not be best choice because its very digital sounding overall; “cold, clinical, sterile, metallic” are descriptors that often come up. tho not to say you cant sculpt sounds to become warm with some effort

doesn’t necessary mean lo-fi, and the PI example from the Elektron’s youtube above doesn’t sound lo-fi :wink:

I think if you are after those specific sounds of phys-mod there may be more direct options like the Anyma Phi

1 Like