Can Elektron please start selling MachineDrums again?

Give me the machine drum software inside takt hardware , I’d be on cloud 9.

Common Elektron take my money

3 Likes

I think the answer to this problem is 1. for Elektron to add a whole lot more machines and effects to Syntakt and 2. You add an octatrack to whatever machine that Syntakt becomes

But something tells me that a lot of these desires will be addressed in a new flagship on their new platform

1 Like

Yeah basically, the thing that makes this a toughie is that Elektron still hasn’t released boxes to surpass these. If they dropped TODAY they’d legitimately be more futuristic and advanced than over half of their current lineup. Sure the OT, AR, and A4 are deep and grand instruments but they’re quite different and I don’t think necessarily compete the way some people insist. The MD and AR are entirely different machines in my opinion, same with the MnM and A4. Even the syntakt really doesn’t come close. I think that’s what frustrates me with Elektron sometimes, it seems like their business model has fully shifted towards these bite sized boxes and while they’re fun and very easy to get into, I wonder if they haven’t lost a degree of ambition and forward thinking that made them the company they are.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Look forward…not back.

A new classic may be born.

8 Likes

Machinedrum with better screen could be a good thing.

2 Likes

Btw, isn´t the LFO mix on the Machinedrum basically the same as having two individual LFOs and balancing the “mix” by dialing in the LFO depth on both? Having two distinct LFOS of course would also allow for more options, different speeds and trig modes for example and also phase offset on all Elektrons after the Octatrack.

The mix basically allows you to blend 2 LFO shapes, but I still think of it as 1 LFO, because it’s a single source. In my opinion, just having the ability to route the LFO’s between tracks, like on the MD is super useful, because, if you want any LFO’s for 1 sound, you have that option.

1 Like

That kind of eliminates the possibility of individual patch storage though… which imo beats out the shared lfo option. Maybe some global lfos that are saved with a sequence/pattern in tandem with the per sound lfos. It all seems to boarder on being convoluted though, why not just have more lfos per track if the design calls for it.

1 Like

I agree with you on that. Really the best Elektron box for LFOs is Octatrack. I guess the reason I like the cross track LFO’s in MD is just that it’s basically a workaround to the limitation of only having 1 per track.

3 Likes

If someone managed to reverse engineer the code, I don’t see why someone that has access to the source code would have difficulties to understand it.

Machine Drum is unbeatable

Syntakt does not sound even close

5 Likes

So…we need to get a mole on the inside to steal the code, and hand it over to some of the brilliant nerds in this community to revive the Machinedrum

Comparing Elektron to NASA? Did Stanley Kubrick fake an Elektron product launch from ‘space’?

2 Likes

He’s saying that Elektron lost that “tech” when the 1/2 the team went on to make TE, and if Elektron ever had to go back to the moon, and it’s a painful process to build it back again, because it’s a very small and expensive TE rocket.

2 Likes

The first Elektron SID was done without too much part left for SID chips.
That does not stop them to build it.
I guess there is new chip similar to the old one which could be used to put back a new MD on sell. IIRC the « math » chip is the same family that the one used by lots of Waldorf, Novation, Virus. A famous chip DSP chip which is only good at crunching numbers. The DSP5630 cousin.
You can see it here :
Machinedrum Guts

If people had been able to reverse engineering part of the code of the firmware to make new firmware of the MD. If this chip has been reverse engineer to allow a VST of the Virus. My guess is there is lots and lots of documentation available for new developers at Elektron.

My guess is they stop MD, MnM just because sells was low, not because part was not available. They would have made a MK3 if it was selling really well.

But maybe doing a batch of 10 000 unit is a risk for Elektron. They need to upgrade the unit to ‘new standard’ if they release it again :

• usb
  • new sequencer feature to match other product
  • overbridge
    Then the current things said by everyone :slight_smile: When does new firmware will bring that…
4 Likes

Let me word the same differently, the sounds I found attractive from the Machinedrum I found eventually on the Syntakt, except the PI hihats/cymbals (which nobody seems to be care that much for on the Machinedrum).

Somehow most comments on here assume we all want to do the same music, even though I thought my comment was pretty clear.

5 Likes

Reminds me of all the people on the Perkōns thread moaning that they couldn’t do deep house grooves for studying to with it. Like every piece of fucking gear has to have a boring deep house toss setting…

For the music I like to make, Syntakt offers a lot more than the machine drum, but I’m not about to start talking about how Syntakt “blows the MD out of the water” or any of that specwanker shite because I’m not fucking 12 years old.

8 Likes

Didn’t I wrote in that thread my Syntakt blows the Perkōns out of the water? :rofl:

1 Like