Hip Hop Beat Battle #30: Outkast on Williams Street

Welcome to Elektronauts Hip Hop Beat Battle 30! If you don’t like preambles, skip to the Rules section

Twenty-nine years and 11 months ago, an 18-year-old André Benjamin and 19-year-old Antwan Patton release their debut album. Source awards them “Best New Rap Group,” and over boos from the East and West Coast, a nervous André declares: “The South got something to say.” And they did. Outkast, with their weird beats and weirder flows, would win Five Mics, Six Grammys, and a spot on the map for Atlanta Hip Hop.

95sourceawards

Twenty-nine years and 11 months ago, Williams Street, then Ghost Planet Industries, premieres its debut show, Space Ghost Coast to Coast. The show’s success leads to the creation of Adult Swim, an adult animation-oriented TV block known for its weird shows and incredible bumper music from beatmaking legends. Williams Street would eventually form a record label, help fund an MF DOOM album, partner with Def Jux, and release over a decade of music.

In this battle, we are going to honor two Atlanta titans: Outkast and Adult Swim

Rules:

1. You must use an acapella from Outkast or from one of the member’s solo songs/features. Other rappers may be featured as long as Big Boi, André 3000, or both are present
  2. Drums and bass can come from any s8ource
  3. All other samples must come from music featured on Adult Swim shows or from music published by Williams Street Records
    –For the purpose of this battle, “Adult Swim show” will include both original programs (like The Venture Bros) and acquired programs (like Cowboy Bebop).
    –Links to the full list of shows, as well as some playlists, will be included at the bottom of this post
  4. PM me your submission with your username as the title

Deadline: Submit by April 17th 21st, 11:59 pm PDT

List of Adult Swim Shows in the US: List of programs broadcast by Adult Swim - Wikipedia

List of Adult Swim Shows in the UK: Adult Swim (British and Irish TV programming block) - Wikipedia

A couple playlists to get started:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW2Yei1hR2eSHpol4YWX8wVRR82TNNUZP&si=Glfr-I76oc7vDBmG

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQl8zBB7bPvL3dxYqnq59_hFoNso5MMmH&si=3aL4JFCp25BlDhrW

12 Likes

Also, since we have a big selection, I would like to encourage everyone to post a song or two. Here’s one from the Adult Swim compilation Opus:

4 Likes

Ok this is a good one @sleepside!!!

5 Likes

sounds like a perfect excuse to dive through Off The Air, cant begin to list all the great sample fodder found throughout. Even better, each episode is themed so if you see a theme that clicks with you, i bet you’ll find something killer to sample

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=RDQMmAbAJvL3K9U&playnext=1&si=dmyF6JJO7qFg8KMQ

4 Likes

Great stuff @sleepside had a quick flip through the playlists, there’s some great stuff there

3 Likes

As always, these battles are open to everyone, but I’m tagging some previous battlers and regulars who might be interested:

@Jedilicious
@Lailai
@Smapti
@Oxenholme
@electricthing
@NVVI
@Ooly
@janglesoul
@1-2
@Doug

4 Likes

@Sleepyhead
@surfacescan
@rockpapergoat
@Maisin
@drrumble
@emadb
@blaize
@flipinfantile
@tovia
@Unifono

(Feel free to tag other folks as well)

2 Likes

Sick challenge, even if it makes me feel older than dust! Can’t wait to dive in.

3 Likes

I am not really familiar with adult swim. can I use the adult swim bumps as well?

1 Like

Good thought, there are some non-hip hop tracks in the bumps that would be good for chopping. Go for it!

2 Likes

Just waiting for my Rossum Sp1200 to arrive next month.

2 Likes

@sleepside man you just launched me back several years! This is a such a fun topic already, and have been reintroduced to some great old clips, so thank you for inspiring lot’s of recent uncontrollable laughter :beers:

If we had hung out back in '07-08, you’d be welcome to join me in my constantly overheating, triple handed-down forest green '94 Mazda 626, overlooking the Palos Verdes Coast (after multiple stops to add water to the car, sourced from apartment hoses along the way, as gas stations would charge for water access). After we reached our destination, we would share a “medical” blunt, or few (back then medical grade was hard to acquire, and it was either grape Swishers or peach Optimos, with a box conveniently tucked underneath the driver seat). As the smoke filled 626 chamber grew denser, since hotboxing was seen as the only way to maximize the full potential value of the smoke, we would casually glance at the scratch-ridden screen of a questionably obtained iPod Video, packed generously with a handful of Aqua Teen episodes (the alien frat bros, and the wisdom cube were my favorite episodes back then lol). And, if there were any funds/energy remaining from that miraculous, eventful day (after the numerous stops/fills), then we could stop by El Burrito Jr. on PCH, and share a Special C - two loaded bean and cheese burritos with a large oil-blotched white paper bag full to the brim with 7" fried tortillas (had to break them down to make chips), unlimited salsa, and a drink for $3.25. All assuming that we were not pulled over throughout the day, as was common in those days.

Believe it or not guys, this car saw a lot of action back in the day, and may have been a temporary gathering for future leaders :rofl: Lot’s of freestyle sessions were had there!

not mine, this actually looks slightly nicer

Does this count as a sample submission?

4 Likes

Great theme and battle! I am afraid I am going to have to sit this one out unfortunately.

Good luck all!

1 Like

Hey folks. In case you didn’t know, almost all of the Williams Street Records music is streamable here:

(And downloadable if you inspect the page)

Also as part of the Adult Swim catalog dive, I’m sharing some Lupin the Third Part II music:

Also, let me know if you’re having trouble getting acapellas, and I can run stemroller and pm them to you

4 Likes

@sleepside great choice with the Lupin samples!

This was a show I used to always try to catch growing up, but could never get the title of (before the cable boxes had programming guides), and then it got replaced in the lineup. This may have fallen under Toonami, but the memory is a bit blurry. It’s a lesser known anime, The Big-O, and was played on the same late night time slots (If I remember correctly the order was: Samurai Champloo > Cowboy Bebop > Big O), and was like a fusion of Robots/ Batman, and filled with lots of big scores and jazzy elements.

Here are some heavy lines from the show:

edit:

Also, since we are on topic, I’m not sure if it would be possible to summon the ultra-talented @JonMakesBeats to please explain the sample origins used to create this classic set, but any insight would be absolutely marvelous!

2 Likes

Hey folks. We are three days out from deadline. How’s everyone feeling? Do we need a deadline extension?

2 Likes

i havent had any luck whipping anything together for this one, best wishes to those dipping their toes in

1 Like

Ah damn, I have zero chance of doing this one, work is just taking over at the moment :frowning:

1 Like

This is really a though one, even though it seemed to be easy. I just can’t find a fitting acapella for my weird sample choice…

1 Like

I’ve done something that I’m not madly keen on in its present state, but I’ll definitely get something to you once I’ve tweaked it a bit

1 Like