Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 38 | Commodores - Wonderland (Long Version)

Welcome to another new edition of our bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza!

Thank you all for joining in another week of sampling goodness! Before we get into our artist and track in focus, and in case you aren’t already aware, there are some other Mission Briefs/Challenges currently taking place that you may also fancy spending some time on here:

For a while, this album and song have been a consistent runner-up for the sample track of the week, and finally, it’s moment has arrived. This week, let us journey through the iconic, largely-influential group the Commodores, and their fifth track, “Wonderland (Long Version)” from their seventh album, Midnight Magic. The album was recorded at Motown Recording Studios, Los Angeles, and A&M Studios, Los Angeles, and released in the same year, on July 27, 1979 by Motown Records (Motown – 5C 062-63064).

Here is some information about The Commodores, and the album, from Wikipedia and AllMusic:

Commodores, often billed as the Commodores, are an American funk and soul group. The group’s most successful period was in the late 1970s and early 1980s when Lionel Richie was the co-lead singer.

The members of the group met as mostly freshmen at Tuskegee Institute (now Tuskegee University) in 1968, and signed with Motown in November 1972, having first caught the public eye opening for the Jackson 5 while on tour.

The band’s biggest hit singles are ballads such as “Easy”, “Three Times a Lady”, and “Nightshift”; and funk-influenced dance songs, including “Brick House”, “Fancy Dancer”, “Lady (You Bring Me Up)”, and “Too Hot ta Trot”.

Commodores were inducted into the Alabama Music Hall of Fame and Vocal Group Hall of Fame.[1][2] The band has also won one Grammy Award out of nine nominations. The Commodores have sold over 70 million albums worldwide.[3][4]

Midnight Magic is the seventh studio album by the musical group the Commodores, released in 1979.[3] The album was certified Gold in the UK by the BPI.[4] Midnight Magic was Grammy nominated in the category of Best R&B Performance by a Duo, Group or Chorus.[5]

The New York Times stated that “the Commodores, too, have their disco‐dance numbers. But this group’s principal appeal would seem to be its ability to come up with classy ‘makeout’ music. The new Midnight Magic, which is moving up the album charts quickly, will disappoint no one in search of just that. And as usual, the Commodores’ ability to span a wide stylistic range and to avoid some of the more tired cliches of black vocal instrumental groups is extremely refreshing.”[9] Smash Hits called it, “solid professional funk, but still faceless and only moderately entertaining - mainly because of a distinct threadbareness in the melody department.”[10] The Bay State Banner noted that “the vocals, it is true, are rather toneless—grouped together in the mix, the textural interest of a single throat is erased—but the rhythm section plays with verve through unusual chordings that oddly parallel the vocal register.”

-Taken from Wikipedia.org

“When the Commodores’ seventh studio album, Midnight Magic, came out in 1979, one could safely assume that the LP would contain at least one adult contemporary ballad. And sure enough, Midnight Magic contains the ballad “Still,” which was a number one pop hit (as well as a number one R&B hit) and became a staple on adult contemporary radio. The sappy ballad (which features Lionel Richie) wasn’t without its detractors, who felt that the Commodores had become too much of a slick crossover act. But even if “Still” doesn’t excite you, the rest of the album isn’t bad. “Wonderland” (a number 21 R&B hit) is an enjoyable R&B slow jam, and fans of sophisticated funk (as opposed to hardcore funk) should appreciate “You’re Special,” “Gettin’ It,” and the disco-minded title song. “Sexy Lady” is the only thing on the LP that can honestly be described as hardcore funk; most of the up-tempo tunes favor the type of sophisticated funk that the Brothers Johnson, Rufus/Chaka Khan, and Heatwave were known for in the late ‘70s. Next to “Still,” the album’s best-known track is “Sail On,” which reached number eight on Billboard’s R&B singles chart (and number four on its pop single chart) despite the fact that it is essentially a pop-country song. Some R&B purists saw “Sail On” as a blatant example of how watered down the Commodores had become, but it’s still a charming and likable tune – one that wouldn’t have been out of place on a Dolly Parton or Glen Campbell LP. Midnight Magic isn’t one of the Commodores’ essential releases, and R&B purists are advised to stick to the band’s pre-1977 albums. Nonetheless, this is a generally decent, if uneven, record that has more strengths than weaknesses.”

- Review for AllMusic by Alex Henderson

Here are two versions of the track available on YouTube, in case anyone experiences regional playback issues:

Here is a link to a version of the track that has been converted to 16bit/44.1KHz wav, and to the STEMS, please delete it after using:

COMMODORES - WONDERLAND (LONG VERSION) - (FLAC)

COMMODORES - WONDERLAND (LONG VERSION) - (WAV)

COMMODORES - WONDERLAND (LONG VERSION) - (STEMS)

links are active for one week from today (03/302/24)

Album Photos:

images from google search

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family, and even the team operating the Mega Doppler 7000 HD, which is doing it’s best to accurately predict the weather forecast.

Mission:

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

Deadline: Sunday, April 07, 2024

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Sunday, April 07, 2024, or be faced with a brief moment of self-loathing for not participating. Submissions entered on later dates are also welcome!

Compensation:

Hearts and compliments from the community
(not guaranteed)

You can use as much or as little of the sample track as you like, you just have to use it. No winners, no losers, just good times!

Every two weeks we will post a track from our record collections, ideally something you’ve not heard before. Jams, full tracks, noodles - share whatever you like!

7 Likes

Something funny happened last night. Felt really good about about a track I started working on right after the post went live. It’s a remix to a fresh/rare, what I assume, promotional freestyle that Group Home did for their song “Superstar” on the Stretch and Bobbito Show back in September 1995. After finishing recording, I tried to transfer the file, but everything related to that project is now unable to be transferred to the pc with some unique error that the file can no longer be found in the AUDIO folder. I even tried saving to a new project, and re-recording twice more, to no avail. The strange part is that the recordings are accessible/loaded/played within the OT. All of the other files in the audio pool are fine, thankfully, and able to be transferred without errors :+1:

My OT decided to Golum my fresh track. I thought that you guys would at least be able to hear a recycled, and heavily compressed playback of the file through a new project, but it seems even that file does not wish to be saved :older_man: I have one more idea, and it’s that perhaps the drum file I have on the track is too long because it’s an entire album that hasn’t been chopped, and I’m really hoping that the solution is to replace that file with a similar version, just smaller :crossed_fingers: I’m also not sure if it’s because the project/file name is COM and maybe the PC thinks I’m trying to infect it with something :man_shrugging:

Anyways @everyone Happy Easter for those who are celebrating today, and wishing you a lovely day ahead wherever you are in the world! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I am working on this! First time doing this but I have an idea…

3 Likes

@DJCHEMIE Awesome, looking forward to the future flavors! :muscle:

1 Like

I’ve made a start on this on the iPad.

So far I’ve got something very weird.

Disappointed I missed out on the last two, but I managed to get glandular fever (mono for US friends) and so have been doing nothing for the last month.

2 Likes

@monquixote was wondering where you were man! It sucks to hear about the recent health hits, but I’m glad that you’re coming back around :muscle: Hopefully, we can hear what you have in store, and if not that’s cool too man :totes:

2 Likes

Just finished it. I will sacrifice sleep and finish mixing and mastering tonight. Even my SO liked what I came up with. So I am happy with the result already :joy:

3 Likes

Haha no rush man but I appreciate the dedication man let’s go :100:

2 Likes

Here is my go.
All done in iPad Logic

All made completely using samples from the song through Logic Simple Sampler with the exception of:

• The synthy sound which is made from a string sample from the track through Klevgrand Tomofon (which is a turn a sample into a synth plugin)
  • A sub placed under the bass sample to thicken it up (Korg Gadget Dublin)

I was going for a kind of slightly arabic Kashmir vibe with the brass sample so hopefully that comes through.

If I have time I might put the chopped samples into the Polyend Tracker and see what happens.

6 Likes

Ok I got my track and it’s ~45 MB. I don’t want to use SoundCloud or YouTube because I really don’t even want to consider a copyright issue. Apparently elektronauts has a 10 MB limit on audio files. Anybody knows how I can upload it? Maybe as 5 smaller parts?

I always use soundcloud. Unless you are putting massive chunks of the song in you will be fine.
Even when I accidentally uploaded the original track instead of my track it basically said “Don’t do that” and carried on without any hassle.

1 Like

I have always relied on my pessimism and bad luck in my life, and it kind of worked :grinning: I will find a solution to this…

I’m assuming it’s only 45MB because it’s a wav so why not MP3/AAC it?

2 Likes

@monquixote man maybe we all should consider getting sick more often, as the return tracks seem to be massive! :wink: I wow’ed so hard when you made that switch happen and that is seriously an incredible build up/ alley-oop to that point. Thanks for sharing! :beers:

@DJCHEMIE If you’re worried about a complaint/strike, the only option that I’m aware of that will not be on a public streaming platform would be to use a cloud backup service like P-Cloud that has a media player option when sharing audio files/links (but, that’s an expensive option). :man_shrugging: Otherwise, @monquixote provided the best possible solution by recommending converting the .wav to another format. Sometimes, I’ve had trouble with that option too though, as my .mp3 would be slightly over the limit. Also, man I wouldn’t recommend splitting your song into parts, upload it as you originally intended, as it will be a better overall listening experience for everyone. There is no real deadline man, so you don’t have to worry about being late or anything! Bandcamp seems to be the “safest” public place, imo because that was the only place I could upload a remix to a song that soundcloud immediately kept taking down. I mainly use soundcloud because their player/whatever eq they run on their system tends to somewhat round off my lack of post EQing :innocent:

3 Likes

The moment I listened to the original track I had the arrangement in mind really, and it HAD TO be somewhat house-type… All I did was to write a little bit more notes and chords on it. I used an electric piano, some layered strings and a pad, obviously a new bassline. I added an 8 bar synth around the break…Drums only consist of snares, hats, claps given the limited time. Not sure how I feel about it now but…I definitely didn’t like the sub now that I am listening to it with fresh mind. Maybe sidechain will fix it a little but luckily it’s way down there so not bothering too much…

I didn’t want to do too much to the vocals as I really wanted to keep the singer’s feeling. It only really has a little delay and reverb. Nothing else. But if I had a week to work on this track I have some ideas. Edit: I forgot to mention the guitar in the beginning, sometimes in the middle and end is from a sample pack I have. It’s a part of a longer loop but I only used that part using Air Diode Clip to give that really stringy and annoying whiny sound :slight_smile:

Other then basic EQ and compression, there is nothing special. This is probably the only project that I didn’t have like 35 tracks :slight_smile:

Everything was done in MPC Software except final gain staging and automation that’s done in Ableton Standard. No mastering unfortunately…I only mixed it and adjusted the loudness.

Here is the behind the scenes :slight_smile: where everything is stacked on top of each other to go through the arrangement. I like using Mute/unmute to carve out the ideas at first - what goes with what etc…

Here we go in mp3 format.

6 Likes

That’s really good! Very clear and I like the use of auto panning. Sometimes panning makes me disoriented but you clearly know how to use it. Nice drums too!

Thanks for the MP3 suggestion! It was right there and I guess sometimes we overthink :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love this.

Sweet chill vibe and you’ve done a great job with the vocals.

2 Likes

@DJCHEMIE You were in the zone! Glad that you were able to get it to work, and without sacrificing chopping that beautiful jam. Agree with @monquixote that the vocals really paired nicely, amongst all the other juicy elements, and whatever you used for your BD/Kick sounds crispy :ok_hand: Thanks for sharing the flavors, and also for the peek behind the scenes, that’s a neat screenshot! :beers:

2 Likes

You guys I did it. Still can’t believe how, but here it is.

There is some inexplicable sparkly OT magic missing from the original project , and it actually feels like there’s a slight invisible envelope filter that got created somewhere in between. Not sure if that was my OT’s way of knowing that the project wasn’t going to be transferrable, so it gave me a fun immovable track to cover up for that fact. One could only hope that that was what its intentions were in that moment, but to be fair this is my fault and OT is chillin.

Also, was already planning on doing so, but got all the more inspired by @DJCHEMIE sharing their cool behind the scenes from their project (seriously looks intense there), to share some of the cracked out notes accompanying this project revival process while trying to make sure there were as little conflicts/correlations to whatever was causing the error on the COM project as best as possible :man_scientist: This project became both the most fun to play, and most PIA project I’ve worked on in the same week haha. Anyways, hope you guys enjoy and thanks for inspiring some upbeat jams!

edit:
Would like to add that this 2021 post from @mugwump was instrumental in helping resolve the problem with one sample’s filename being one, if not the only cause!

edit 2: Wow did I fumble the origins of the Group Home track. This is actually a remix of Supa Dupa Star, the June 1994 demo release, before they remade it into Supa Star, which was the official release on their Livin’ Proof album.

6 Likes

2 Likes