Hip HopBattle #29 The Doors Voting and Feedback

Hello everyone

We are lacking on one vote still but I’ll put up the winner now, and the tracks on sound cloud now have been named

1st @looms

2nd @Lailai

3rd Yabba

As usual I didn’t count the 2 votes from those that didn’t take part but if i did the only difference would have been lailai winning by 1 point so it was very close.

Well done to both looms and lailai
Absolutely great beats!

It’s down to looms to host the next one or pass the baton if you wish, and I really hope all that took part do so again as you all helped make this a really cool beat tape.

But before then I’m hoping you guys will let us know behind the scenes of the making of your beat

12 Likes

For my beat I used the intro to Spanish Caravan, and the organ stabs from Alabama Song.

The organ was a sustained chord from The End.

Bass and Vocal was from End Of the Night.

My hi-hats are also from The End.

I also used end of the night for my intro which was originally gonna be my beat but I got bored of it quickly and didn’t finish it.

4 Likes

Nice one everyone, this made for a great playlist!

I’d be happy for someone to take the baton for the next if anyone is up for that?

Here are my sample sources:

Piano from Yes the River Knows
Bass from Blue Sunday
Organ and some stabs and a tiny vocal snippet from Unhappy Girl
Plucks and a little vocal snippet from I can’t see your face in my mind
Hi hat/shaker from I look at you

Used a combo of Serato Sample in Ableton to prep some samples then took it into the 404 mk2 for further chopping, pitching, effecting, making the beat and arranging then back into Ableton for some mastering.

6 Likes

:clap: Congrats to the winners! :tada:

Thanks to @Yabba for hosting this battle and for this great theme.

I was #10, track made in Ableton, here are the tracks sampled:
Soul Kitchen (Keys)
End Of The Night (Guitar)
My Eyes Have Seen You (Bass)
Five To One (Bass)
My Wild Love (Choir and clap)
Runnin’ Blue (JM’s voice)

Added drums and percussion.

4 Likes

congrats looms! great work!

i was #13
i wish i could remember what i specifically sampled but all i can tell y’all is they came from “Touch Me.” that song blew my mind as a kid so i knew i had to use it. i started off with a perc loop i made and then i took real small chops since im not much of a full on sample flipper and arranged them on the ep133, then recorded and fx’d it all on the sp404mk2.

4 Likes

Congrats to number 1 to 3.

I was number 7. First time joining this.
I used Blue Sunday, vocals from stem separation in FL Studio.
The rest was sliced from the full song. Added the guitar intro tone of lÁmerica for a lead part. Added 3 drumsamples.
All done on SP 404 mk2, some resampling for texture or chorus. Mix was a live resampling of the patterns with some fx.
Added only eq and level in post.

A next time I think of combining hardware with a mix in the Daw.

See you all in another battle.

4 Likes

Congratz to the winners! And well done everyone.

My beat was no 14. I used the song Peace Frog and added nothing external. It probably could have been better/more interesting if I did (- but I was fast and I got it done. :blush:) I chopped, layered and arranged everything in Ableton. Might have filtered some parts etc. Last, I ran it all out of Live into SP-404sx and live-tweaked some different FX.

6 Likes

Hey, I totally missed the voting thread :confused: Thanks Yabba for hosting this and awesome entries all around. :slight_smile:

I was number 6. I chopped up a bit of Touch Me (the breakdown chorus) for the main sample and snagged a bass note from Waiting For The Sun for the baseline. Drums are Syntakt with an additional layered snare sample.

Wanted to add a bit more variation and layering when the deadline got extended but didn’t find the time anymore.

5 Likes

Superb work all round!

I was #11. I used “Soul Kitchen” - screen recorded it from YouTube and then built it out in Koala. Everything is from that apart from the drums. Mostly I just used the keys at the start and built everything from that - dropping an octave and filtering for bass etc. Processed the individual outputs through a few AUv3s in AUM but that was about it. Worked really quickly and didn’t have headphones to hand so if it sounds like I mixed it through an iPad speaker…

6 Likes

that was a lot of fun. Thanks @Yabba.
Here are the samples I used:

Bass - not to touch the earth
Guitar chord (intro) - l’america
guitar sample - we could be so good together
organ sample - l’america
vocal sample - l’america and cypress hill three lil puttos
tire screech sample I think from looney tunes
some old d’ab drum break

7 Likes

Mine was Track 3. It wasn’t especially hip-hoppy, or even the hippyest hoppiest of the stuff I wrote for the challenge, but it was the one that worked best with that Kids in the Hall skit, which I really wanted to have in there.

The groove is of course from Peace Frog. Some vocals from it added in here and there, too.
The bass is sequenced but the sample is from You’re Lost, Little Girl.

The drums are a combination of the N.T. break and the Sing a Simple Song break, with additional kick, snare, and hats supplied by the Analog Rytm.

I ripped “You’re Lost” from the Morrison Hotel album, but the rest I got from from the Live in New York album.

The various crowd noises and Jim’s banter are from the sound checks from those NYC performances.

The closed hat is also layered with a random LFO sample, triggering tiny pieces of all the other Doors samples that were in the RAM.

Working on this challenge was a ton of fun, and a nice excuse to collaborate with someone for once. Thanks again, @Yabba for organizing!

6 Likes

@KingDuppy Ah man thanks for that blast back to memory lane! I was having such a hard time making out their voices, but it sounded so familiar! Used to love watching that as a kid back in the day when they were on Comedy Central!

You guys seriously had some awesome flavors in this round :muscle: My beat is Number 2, and I was actually telling @Yabba about how I avoided The Doors as growing up because of another kid in school that used to wear their band shirt almost everyday (like it was never washed, ever, and just gradually got grimier; looking back now I hope he had some better instructors around). Instead of making beats, I was trying to understand again why I actually avoided the band for so long, and got started towards the final two days (and that extension was a nice relief!). I really can’t thank you guys enough for the kind words on my beat, and it really makes me happy that we got to connect on that level. Was already involved with a couple of loops (below), but I couldn’t add anything to it and it seemed odd, like it works but not all the way lol. After desperately looking for samples that aren’t well known songs, I came across the song, “Runnin Blue,” off of their album Soft Parade. Then there were some Lord Finesse freestyle vocals spiced in from a Doo Wop mixtape. Drums were from Solomon Burke’s “Get Out of My Life Woman.”

Thanks again @Yabba and @everyone for another fun exploration and for the fresh new flavors! :beers:

Here’s the first loop that was the initial idea, but got cold feet on submitting to the challenge as my ears got worn out from over listening. This one used The Doors “Tell All the People,” sprinkled with a lil Mobb Deep, naturally.

7 Likes

Don’t want to stop the battle momentum! Is anyone @everyone(?!) up for hosting the next one? @Lailai How about you? No pressure to obviously :slight_smile: I had half an idea but a bit busy to take on the hosting for the next one.

2 Likes

I would have half an idea as well, but the next couple of weeks going to be pretty busy. I would prefer not to host the next battle. Is there somebody with a good idea and the time to host the battle?

3 Likes

If no one else wants to, I’d be willing to try hosting. If it happens, I would wanna bounce a few ideas off the winners first

6 Likes

Sounds good buddy, it would be great if you did come up with something

2 Likes

Yeah sounds good @sleepside, nice one and thank you!

1 Like

Cool. I’ll send some messages, then try to get the new battle up this week

2 Likes

perfect thank you!

1 Like

New battle is live!

Hip Hop Beat Battle #30: Outkast on Williams Street

2 Likes