The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

I recently discovered buck’s substack

https://buck65.substack.com

It’s definitely worth checking out if you’re a fan, same with his recent albums king of drums, super dope, and punk rock b-boy. I wasn’t really into much of his stuff since square, but have been loving those albums

1 Like

Really cool to hear early stuff. That Lex compilation looks familiar, I think a friend had a copy.
Was listening to Ropeladder 12 the Mush compilation alot around then.

Not my earliest stuff but pretty close. Probably made the beat 2001ish. This one is on vinyl!
The rapper (Noah 23) asked for a beat under 10 minutes with 23 parts so he could have 23 rappers on it. Then he rapped the whole thing himself

7 Likes

This is superb. I would have been tempted to make 23 instrumentals out of it and put it out as a beat tape (and would love to hear it if such a thing existed).

Rope Ladder 12 was superb - the 2 Jel tracks that bookend the album especially.

3 Likes

Hahaha I have this album on hardrive from the defunct soleone forum or anticon forum. This thread is bringing back all the nerd rap nostalgia.

Going to peep the track on my lunchbreak!

6 Likes

Thanks for bringing this my attention, I subscribed.

Going to check out those albums, I am similarly minded. I listened and like the stuff after square, like the dirtbike series for instance.

But the Vertex, man overboard, Sebutones era was the soundtrack to my formative years and brings back great memories of working at Tower Records here in San Diego!

1 Like

We have a new beat battle! This one is focused on Outkast and Adult Swim: Hip Hop Beat Battle #30: Outkast on Williams Street

1 Like
4 Likes

That’s was really very good, great chat afterwards too, he’s such a humble bloke :+1:

1 Like

Urgh… I got really bored of arranging after tracking out a first beat from the new Zoom Sampletrak. So here’s something…

I didn’t even get the levels of the different patterns right. Gah.

3 Likes

Hey so Im thinking it would be fun to get back into making beats outside of my DAW.
I will create basslines and melodic elements with my synths and guitars, but I don’t have a hardware that can do samples/drums right now.
I’m looking for advice on a piece that would work well for drum samples. The Digitakt seems like potentially the best option but I don’t know that its renowned for hip hop production.
Wondering if there are any other boxes that might work well. Not super interested in MPC’s since they seem to be overkill for my use case, but perhaps I could be talked into something like that?
Thanks

I’d have a look at the SP404MKII. I think it’s one of the best samplers for sampling instruments, and it just got a huge update with a great looper.

Here is an example of it with guitar to give you an idea.

Or just something simple.

3 Likes

Thanks, I will check these out.
I know this device is super popular, I have to be honest, the UI has just completely turned me off up until now. It looks like a calculator and I was really hoping to avoid fiddling with small screens and menus, etc.
But I will do my due diligence.

1 Like

I know it’s an old post but the vocal sample’s tune is perfect. I know it’s sometimes hard to hear it but you pitched it just right. Loving the beat man!

2 Likes

I made hip hop on the Digitakt for a few years. It’s a pretty cool machine, but I don’t think it’s as good for working with instruments as other hardware samplers like the SP404mkii or probably the MPC (unless you are midi’ing up a keyboard or something). I prefer working with instruments which is one reason I switched machines. I think the SP404mkii is probably the best for that with massive sampling time, built in guitar amp sim, easy to connect a mic, looper with footswitch capabilities, etc.

Some people like Jonwayne do incredible stuff with the Elektron machines like the OT, so really it’s all about personal preference.

The S2400 looks absolutely killer and sounds amazing for hip hop. I think @Sleepyhead is doing his best work ever on that machine.

Sounds like you’d like a DT though, so maybe go for that and see how it goes.

3 Likes

Thanks man! Appreciate it!

I cosign the 404 mk2 being the best bang for the buck hiphop machine out there though. It has a great combination of functions, quickness and character. The workflow suffers a little but all in all its the swiss army knife of hiphop samplers.

@Bartizanier are you looking for a complete beatmaking hub or just a sampler for drums?

2 Likes

Here is a really great soundcloud channel that I was so happy to have come across who has uploaded all of their collection of 90s/00s DJ mixtapes. They have an amazing IG page too with old clips/ interviews if you’re looking for OG flavors!

This intro is incredible and had to share it :ok_hand:

edit: I developed a hunch after looking at this mixtape and idk if they titled this Clueless because of DJ Clue’s notorious shouts in the background of tracks on his mixtapes :rofl:

4 Likes

Thanks man, I went back and tried to tweak it but was finding it too much of a headache so it’s nice to hear you liked it as is!

@aarb420, I think I found that channel recently as an ‘up next’ or whatever they call it after listening to one of yours. So much good stuff there. The old stretch and bobb stuff :man_cook::kiss:

2 Likes

I think Im looking just for a sampler for drums.

1 Like

Not sure of your intended workflow: would you sequence your synths from your daw? Or just record them? Same question for the drumsampler: would you use it to just sample drums and then sequence it from a daw?

If so: any sampler would do, but the 404mk2 is great for fx.

If you plan on sequencing from the sampler: dt is great for both drum sequencing and midi sequencing other synths over midi.

Yeah another reason I was thinking DT is because it seems like it would be a good option to sequence drums. I have other ways to sequence my synths but I could potentially sequence them with the DT as well if I end up liking that workflow.

1 Like