Copy kits in between projects

Is it possible to copy a kit from one project into another project?

I might be missing something but so far I couldn’t find a way to move kits in between projects yet

Thanks

1 Like

You can do a sysex dump of the kit to your computer (using C6) and switch projects and load it back in again. For kits that has sounds that use samples you are however likely to get into problems since you probably don’t have the same samples in the same sample slot in the “new” project.

Edit: Keep scrolling, a better alternative is suggested by Void below…

1 Like

currently having some trouble with this. just got the reshaped harmonics pack - id like to load the samples and kits to my current project rather than creating a whole new project. I know things might get weird with samples being in different slots etc but that doesnt bother me. for some reason its not transferring the kits to my existing project.

i did get it to work by creating a new project but i want to be able to access the kits with my current since thats where my live set lives and im only using a few patterns so far

Each project can have it’s own midi port settings and that has fooled me more then once. Might be the cause of the problem you’re having if you don’t get C6 working properly.

This! The project-specific global settings have made me hit my head against the wall a few times :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

you can do this without sysex:

goto LOAD KIT menu, highlight a kit, hit function+rec.
load other project, goto LOAD KIT men, hit function+stop.

59 Likes

Oh f**k, I didn’t know this was possible. This is gonna save me a bunch of time. Thanks.

5 Likes

yes! thank you void

1 Like

@void awesome! thank you for this

1 Like

While I’m happy that this is an option, it’s still maddening that the samples are not copied into the new project and linked properly. I use samples in kits probably 80% of the time and I have to admit that, for my workflow, the Rytm is quite a pain and requires a lot of forethought and busy work.

Is there any chance that Elektron might consider changing it so that samples are linked to the hard drive and not the program ram?

I love this machine and wish that my workflow was easier!

Blake

6 Likes

I feel you. Even now almost a year later it still behaves the same way, doesn’t it? I guess the Overbridge Librarian should tackle this? And overall Overbridge might be the place where this is easier to manage.
However, a stand alone sound patch has hard linked the sample in use. It loads into the first free slot when you load it.
So if you first copy/ load the Kit, then reload the individual sounds that are using samples, it might save you some time…

6 Likes

^this

i’ve just begun saving sounds for this purpose alone as i use the AR primarily with samples.

2 Likes

Yes there is a lot of room for improvement in the file structure but just like Cuckoo and others have mentioned, the key is to understand this:

Samples are just components of what a “Sound” is.
When you consider this, you would want to save your sounds!
When you save a Sound, it also saves with the sample associated with it.

The most confusing thing is that even in the Sound Packs you can buy from Elektron, none of the projects have sounds saved in the pool! It’s really not a good way of working, especially if you want to combine sounds/kits across multiple projects.

Just save your sounds. Give them sensible names, and build your own patch library. You can then have a template project with some “go to” samples, and you will always be able to load pre-saved sounds to that patches and those will be added with the samples.

Eitan

7 Likes

What happens if this sample is no longer on your +drive or gets moved from one to another on your +drive?

It’s not the like sample gets saved in the “sound patch” itself, or does it?

1 Like

What happens if this sample is no longer on your +drive or gets moved from one to another on your +drive?

It’s not the like sample gets saved in the “sound patch” itself, or does it?[/quote]
I don’t think the sample is saved in the sound patch. But a string with a location of the sample is baked into it. Isn’t all the sound patches fixed size? I don’t have any patches here to back up my claim though, lol…

this behaviour still seems to be the case - just as cuckoo explains it here or in his videos: when you copy Kits between projects you will loose the samples of the individual sounds. it’s so annoying, you still have to copy/paste every single track sound in order to copy the samples between projects as well. it’s 2017 :frowning:

but I want to add: when you copy your kit it seems to work (now)? at least as far as i can see it seems to copy the samples too when you copy the kits between project.

can someone confirm that?

I can confirm that it’s possible to copy everything between projects (patterns, kits, scenes, perf macros etc etc). I can also confirm that it is not possible to copy a kit from project to project and have it automatically bring in the samples.

The kit is only tied to the sample slot location # in the Pool.

You would lose samples if you have either empty sample slot in the pool at the same # or a different sample. The trick is to load the same samples into the same slots.

It’s a pain, but it’s logical. If elektron had designed the firmware to copy in samples when you copy in kits then people would be accidentally overwriting their sample slots all the time. I Think the sysex method works, but you have to be wary to check that the slots aren’t in use by samples tied to other kits.

If you have any other questions on this hit me up as I’ve spent extensive time mastering this crazy filesystem !!

9 Likes

It could perhaps copy them to the first unused slots until slots are full and then give you a no more sample slots warning when your maxed…

Yes! Thank you!

2 Likes