Copy kits in between projects

x2 thanks!!

1 Like

Hi everybody,

I’m a newbie to the Elektron world, please don’t be too harsh on me :wink:

I know how to transfer patterns from one project to another, but transferring kits, that seems to be a bit more problematic.
Does anybody have a solution for this? Is it even possible.

Thank you very much.

it’s been a while but as far as i remember you should be able to use FUNC+REC while in the “load kit” menu to copy the whole kit currently highlighted.

this was for the mki model.

Well … copying kits is none of the strenghts of the AR units. The problem is the method, how sounds, samples, and kits are stored in projects, the +Drive, and how used samples are referenced. If a sound or kit is created inside a project, their settings are stored locally only.

AFAIK the best method to have kits moved around in the AR, is to save the sounds of the kit to the sound-banks (+Drive). Those sounds not only have all the synth settings stored, but also a copy-ready reference to the samples, which might have been used.

1 Like

You can copypaste kits across projects, but if you use samples in your kits, stuff gets messy, as these samples then need to be reloaded into the exact sample sample reference slots in the target project.

This is the main reason I’ve mostly been using synthesis with my rytm.

Sure, you can save sample voices as sounds and those will load up fine (they will even load the referenced sample into any unallocated sample slots automatically), but this will considerably eat into your sound pool limit if you need to transfer several sample-heavy kits across…

1 Like

i did it manually - made txt file with list of samples, that used in each kit, and then after copy-pasting kit, added all neccessary samples, selected them again in kit, and wrote down their new positions.
copied 7-8 kits-patterns for 3-4 hours, via overbridge - makes sample selection a bit faster…

1 Like

Thank you all for the great info.

1 Like

cheers void

Good evening the community,

Small question because I did not find the answer in the user manual of the ANALOG RYTM MKII. Is it possible to copy a kit from project A to project B without taking the head to copy the tracks one by one, not counting the search samples that can be attributed to them …?

1 Like
  • Go to Load Kit
  • Select the kit you want to copy
  • FUNC + REC (to copy the kit)
  • Exit Menu
  • Load the destination Project
  • Go to Load Kit
  • Select the slot you want to save the kit
  • FUNC + STOP (to save the kit)
4 Likes

thanks for this! could someone explain how to save a sound to the +drive?

interesting, @zfigz could you explain how you do this?

What’s about a quick look into the manual (online pdf on elektron.se)?

Sound Menu ([FUNC] + [MUTE]) -> Sound Manager

3 Likes

Quicker still is yes + sound, takes you directly to the first free slot

4 Likes

I left that out by intention. Now you have spoiled the bonus from checking the manual by himself :wink:

3 Likes

i no longer have the AR, though saving sounds is pretty straightforward. the answer should be near.

sorry for not RTFM.
I love this forum though, thanks.

1 Like

Hi there. Now that I have read this and tons of other discussions around samples (Store them on “sounds”), projects, patterns and kit management, I am still clueless about why certain things are not carried over when copying from one project to the other.

I was able to bring a pattern, kit and all the sounds between projects but the pattern doesn’t sound the same.
The manual shows that Master / Send FX are tied to Kits, so I first copied the pattern, then the kit and then re-assigned sounds to tracks, however one seems to be a lot louder, and compressed than the other, and verified the new one showed different settings for effects (Reverb, Delay, Compression).
Any clues?

Thank you.

Hi,
This troubled me at first… I looked at it differently, changed the way I work with the structure and now I’m happy with it.

It makes a lot more sense to think of ‘Projects’ as kits. Store a single kit per project and use the kit slots to store variations of that kit (e.g…: same kit with a different bass drum or with a snare roll or effects or beefed up with synth layers). My kits have a lot more than 12 samples that I swap in and out of tracks or use with trigger locks for different articulations, etc. With just 127 samples per project, you can’t store very many kits in a single project anyway.
Loading a project or loading a kit is roughly the same thing so that’s not a problem.
Moving samples and patterns between projects is a lot easier than moving/copying kits (with samples) so the workflow is much simpler and more intuitive.
What is a ‘Project’ anyway… on a drum machine?

1 Like

Since kits and projects are completely different entities, it doesn’t really make sense. Different kits don’t need to be just variants of a single kit. They can be completely different. IMHO it make more sense to think about kits as complete configurations of all tracks like different instrumentations or different “orchestras”. They can differ just slightly, but can also be completely different.

Of course you can. Kits are not only about different samples. Ask anyone who played a multiple hours set without loading different projects.

No, it isn’t. Loading a project involves a silence gap. Moving to a different pattern with a completely different kit doesn’t.

And again “no”. Copying between different projects is much more cumbersome, because you always need to switch projects between copy & paste. Within a project you can do many of the copy&pasting on the fly while the machine is producing sound.

Of course you can work this way. But IMHO that’s quite a heavy restriction (only 1 kit + variations per project) you put onto your workflow without any real gains (at least when you want to perform with it live).

3 Likes