Saved kit not showing up in new project..?

Kits are attached to patterns. The patterns are part of the project.
I think you can copy a pattern then change projects and paste the pattern in the new project and the kit will be with the pattern, I have not tried this myself but think it’s works from what I’ve read

Hi Dan

Thanks for replying. Surely that cant be the only way to use the same kit across different projects? I would have assumed that if you save a kit its then accessible across whichever project youre working on, without needing to copying a pattern into a new project?

Pretty sure that’s the only way at moment, you do have 8 banks of 16 patterns to create tracks in the same project…

hi

yeh im aware i have many banks of many patterns per project at my disposal, but generally i want to keep these things seperate on a project by project basis. it seems reasonable to me to expect that a saved kit would be accessible from whichever project i was working on?

I have mine set up using different projects as kits…I have a 909 project, 808 project, etc
I do know what you mean though

1 Like

well thats a freaking pain!! ok, thanks for responding

1 Like

This is a reasonable assumption. Alas, the AR saving structure is not built this way. I too wish that kits could be saved to the +drive just like sounds.

2 Likes

Go to answer of void a bit below
if you m ean without samples.

Probably, maybe samples are seperated. Sample (edit: and/or sound (see cuckoo answer)) managing is another thing. Also I dont have a rytm, only a4. I cant help in detail. Copy/paste operations in the elektrons are interesting and complex, I remembered reading this, never tried

2 Likes

hells bells!! i remember this was a similar issue when i had the MnM, and i had to keep making notes of what project contained whatever kits/sounds that i wanted to use on other projects. it was ok for a while copying things over across projects but after a while it became an administrative hassle that i couldnt be arsed with… ah well… still loviing the AR (for now at least)

im not (at this stage) copying samples, tho i would have expected this sort of thing to be straightforward, regardless of whether theres samples in there or not. thanks for the link, will check it out in the morning

think again ! i don’t see why that would work - the pattern only links to a kit number, not a kit per se

export kit, import kit … not ideal

3 Likes

It’s never that easy, isn’t it? Well, already the first few pages of the manual makes it quite clear that kits are parts of a project. The load and save kit menus makes it also clear that you only have 128 slots for kits. Obviously this is a per project restriction with no export or import feature to move them around between projects.

But the manual also states:

Copy, clear and paste operations are available in the LOAD KIT and SAVE KIT menus.

So I guess (no AR here, but similar tricks work on other Elektron devices) you can copy & paste kits between projects (copy it in the LOAD KIT menu of the first project, open second project and paste it there also in the one of the corresponding menus).

At least this is worth a try. The copy & paste support for all kinds of different stuff is quite mighty …

3 Likes

Oh ok, I thought I read that somewhere as I said I’ve never tried it,
I just save different projects with default kits to use, that works for me…

Thanks. I had naively hoped that the copying across projects thing could be avoided… is that unreasonable to expect such things?!

Of course it’s not unreasonable (at least not in the part of the world I live). The whole “everything is part of a project” makes sense during operations, because everything needs to fit into memory (you don’t want the machine to stop just because you load/save kits). But at least an import/export feature should be there, so you can build your own kit library not bound to a project.

But the nice folks up in Sweden seems to be a little bit different, you know? :wink:

2 Likes

This would make so much sense. Cheers for your input anyway

Dump your kits as SysEx files to a computer and organise them there, ready to be reloaded to a new project.

If you want to make use of certain kits in future projects, make a template project that includes those kits that you can load at any time.

3 Likes

Exactly the post that solved it for me the other day too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t looked at the Sysex file with just kit information. Is it pretty easily read/edited by a human? This seems like it would be a helpful way to manage kits if the Sysex is simple enough.

Also, I can confirm the copy/load project/paste works for kits, for anyone wondering.

Scratch my comment asking about Sysex, misread. So via Sysex, you’d export each kit as its own file, and you’d organize the files individually, so no need to read into the file itself.

1 Like