Cirklon V2

SquarpPyramid does all this. Doesn’t have the 5 pair of midi port though, but it is less than half the price.
But what is this “inter track interaction” you mentioned?
What I’d like to know as a Pyramid owner on the Cirklon waiting list, from those who’ve used both the Pyramid and Cirklon, is what makes the Cirklon easier to use?

1 Like

The Menus look easy to navigate. AS they are used quite a lot its good that they are.

1 Like

Thank you, very well put!

As someone who had both, it is really not the same.

"Forum types always make that mistake (no offense meat to you). Playing “features” games. When using them to make music, preference rankings often change :wink:

Cheers!
D

1 Like

The irony is that I use the Pyramid in a very simple way, which is mostly live recording. Both do this. And then I nudge a note here and there. The only thing I sometimes “program” is very repetitive Bass rhythms.
I’m interested in knowing which one may have a simpler flow in putting the live recorded sequences together.
Btw, I tried FL Studio, which looked great, but I couldn’t get it to interface nicely with my synths.

2 Likes

That’s not a very accurate summary.

• Cirklon is way more robust than Pyramid
  • Cirklon has the option for up to 72 analogue connections whereas the Pyramid has 7 built-in
  • Cirklon has multiple playback modes whereas Pyramid only goes forwards
  • Cirklon has inter-track interactions

Conversely, the Pyramid has multiple features that the Cirklon doesn’t have, like:

• the MIDI processing capabilities (similar to old Yamaha sequencers)
  • Euclidian rhythms
  • the built-in XY pad
  • Turbo MIDI on one port.

and Cirklon has a bunch of other features that Pyramid doesn’t have, like a Program Change message timing option that’s optimized for Elektron gear.

Of course, there are other hardware sequencers that have features that neither Pyramid nor Cirklon provide.

While you’re waiting for your Cirklon to be readied, you should check out the Cirklon’s aux events (in the manual and the new splitradix video, for example), which allow you to do things like:

• send automation (CCs and NRPNS)
  • control or randomize sequences’ contents, direction, and timing
  • send, receive, or swap events and values between tracks
  • change note and aux values based on counts of events

The Cirklon may or may not be easier to use. It’s another subjective area. It’s for sure easier for some applications, and for sure not for others.

Both are overkill in terms of complexity for your stated application. If this is the only way you use the Pyramid, the Cirklon is unlikely make any difference to your music.

5 Likes

True.
In essence, all I need is a multi track recorder, and one synth with a decent arpeggiator and hold function. Anything more is icing on the cake, the sweetest part for me being time saved by not having to re record and sync everything on tape.

man those CVIO options are one of the biggest for me. I sold $800 worth of Kenton CV/midi boxes when I got the Cirklon. and they’re faster than midi plus cv/gate conversion. I use every single cv/gate available to get to a bunch of vintage synths.

drum sequencing with CK patterns is also amazing. it’s in the style of the TR 707 where it’s dots on a matrix and you can see a full bar’s worth of all instruments in the sequence, all at once.

you could definitely do a lot of what it does with a DAW but you’d need cv converters and obviously it’s a different experience. I don’t know of any better/more complete hardware sequencer.

1 Like

I owned a Cirklon years ago and if I recall correctly, it’s strengths in comparison with Elektron were :

• independent track length with page length
  • instrument based workflow
  • proper polyphonic sequencing
  • song mode with a live aspect à la Ableton
  • interconnected tracks providing super nice generative tools
  • global “force to scale”

Damn, why did I sell it ?

4 Likes

Thats a comparison i asked for. Thanks so much .

Cirklon waiting list thread :rofl:

1 Like

Needs confirmation from actual Cirklon users, though !

:scream::scream::scream:

1 Like

Jump back on the wait list… everyone knows waiting for a cirklon is half the fun.

7 Likes

How does that differ from Elektron’s implementation of this?

I’m June 2019, but thanks to a very generous friend who already got his Mk2, I have a mk1 on loan until my spot comes up!

I will be a very definite ‘hell yes’ when I get that mail, Cirklon has completely transformed my workflow, and it controls everything in my studio, and yes that includes my beloved Elektron gear…

13 Likes

Are patterns quantized like the OT (they come in when the bar 1 starts or can they be unquantized)?

What’s he best way to learn the Cirklon. From the Manual or You-tube tutorials(what order of the tutorials is best with MK2)? Cheers.

Well… arguably you have the kind of studio that completely justifies having a Cirklon !

2 Likes

Spaceship vibes only

In Elektron sequencers, you can set the pattern length, but not the page length. For instance, if the pattern length is 48 (4 bars with a 3/4 signature), you cannot display it on four pages where the 1st beat of each bar is on step 1.

But I’m not 100% sure you can do this on the Cirklon ! If someone could confirm that would be great.