Cirklon V2

Spaceship vibes only

In Elektron sequencers, you can set the pattern length, but not the page length. For instance, if the pattern length is 48 (4 bars with a 3/4 signature), you cannot display it on four pages where the 1st beat of each bar is on step 1.

But I’m not 100% sure you can do this on the Cirklon ! If someone could confirm that would be great.

I think you could justify a Cirklon in any studio… It would be worth it even with just a couple of synths and drum machine as the sequencing capabilities are phenomenal. It’s like having 64 tracks of Elektron-style sequencer, but without the 4 bar limit. Can do 16 bar patterns on the mono/step-sequencer P3 tracks, but it’s only limited by memory on the polyphonic CK mode…

1 Like

Standard or CVIO version?

Thats me now in a nutshell.

2 Likes

Got a few questions on the breakout box. I have semimodular gear like the DFAM and Grandmother. Is it worth getting the breakout box if you aren’t going full modular?

I ask because I’m just trying to figure out different use cases. For example, I currently audio sync everything together via a chain, which is a bit tricky since not all the pieces have sync out. So I have an SQ1 which helps me link the boxes together. I know the cirklon breakout box has CV and gate out, but im not sure if it sends sync.

The DFAM and grandmother, I have to assume, could really open up with the breakout box - much deeper DFAM sequences and maybe extra envelopes or LFOs on the grandmother. Obviously the sequencing would be pretty deep that way.

Anyway just curious who uses the breakout box without a full modular system, and what advantages it offers.

Sorry TonyDS, I didn’t mean this message as a direct reply to you. Can’t seem to edit that, unfortunately.

Patterns can be unquantized. There are two modes that the cirklon has - the step sequencer mode and then the more piano roll style mode. Many people prefer different ones for each function. For whatever reason, I grooved with the step sequencer the most, but when it came down to playing lead lines and such, I used the other mode, since it captures the notes very expressively (you can connect a keyboard controller to the Cirklon).

The manual is pretty much a must-read. I’d suggest downloading it now and browsing through it. Youtube videos would help a lot. Now that there are new videos out, this is a nice time to learn the machine. When I had mine originally, there was a lot of learning via the manual I had to do, as there were not a ton of YT videos out there.

2 Likes

Thanks. Ive just joined the forum as well. I love learning new things. Keeps me young.

1 Like

no worries :v:t2:

1 Like

Agreed!

I was in a group with someone and we had cirklon as our main. It’s the most complete sequencer in modern creation outside of a daw. it’s Midi Clock is the one of the most stable on the market. It’s incredibly deep.

If you can think of the myriad different ways to work with the octarack (mixer, sampler, live resampler, midi hub, looper etc.) think about that and apply it to midi sequencing workflows and you’re starting to get the idea of the cirklon.

We were a hardware project with about 4 drum machines and 6 - 7 vintage synths on stage with full songs we were able to reliably set up everything we could need in the cirklon running the show. Sequences, program changes, generative events on texture layers. Patch “memory” for synths that don’t have patches but do have CCs (things like volca etc).

I have a Hermod and Octatrack so I am a bit familiar with the squarp and elektron workflow, my current bandmate has an MPC Live and ableton I’ve messed with em all at this point. the Cirklon is its own animal. You won’t use every feature but you also don’t have to. Regardless of your work style the cirklon has options that will make it work at worst “reasonably well” for you. Watch that 3.5 hour video on Aux events and you’ll start to see the depths to which you can have your tracks influencing each other.

I also just put myself on the waitlist for a CK2 :laughing:

2 Likes

Can you create templates say for your favourite rhythms etc?

CVIO.

Everything is addressable in my studio via MIDI, and I mostly sequence notes via midi, then use the CVIO for extra modulation on the analogue modules (Model D, Pro-1, Neutron) and my small modular rig.

1 Like

Cirklon it’s probably in the top of my list of most desired pieces of gear right now. I entered the waiting list in May 2020, but I have no idea how long will it take to get there.

Meaning like Stored Patterns? You can reuse patterns within a song for different scenes. of course you could always setup a template song of sorts with your go to configuration.

The Cirklon Does remember instrument definitions more complex than the Pyramid. you can have 33 CCs mapped similar to the way you get the 8 on the octatracks Midi tracks. but every time you add a track with instrument XYZ your CC mappings are there, midi port and channel config etc. also for CK patterns you can specify and name the Midi Note values which means for drum machines you can pop a new pattern on and see your BD SD Clap CH OH etc. etc. ready to go. It’s not any worse to set up than any other device like setting up an Octa Midi track but the advantage is once you’ve set it up you never have to go thorugh those steps again so inspiration can just hit and you’re adding that synth to the scene in no time flat.

4 Likes

Exactly this thanks. Just so instruments can be swapped on the fly for experimentation purposes.

Cheers

Could not completely drop my spot, so asked for some extra time to decide until I am back in Berlin around Sept/Oct. Maybe the Greek beaches make me not think clearly about this :sunglasses:

Update: saw one for sale on Reverb for 6400EUR :scream:

The DFAM and Grandmother both offer a lot of options for modulation via CV. If you want to use those options and have a Cirklon the CVIO option is a good idea. I don’t have a Grandmother but I use the Cirklon quite often with the DFAM.

It can be configured to output clock (i.e. sync) as well as envelopes. No LFOs yet but much requested.

2 Likes

I have a Moog Mother 32. Would that pair well?

1 Like

Yes absolutely, I have a Behringer Crave which is essentially a Mother32 clone (except with a 3340 oscillator) and that really comes into it’s own with some external modulation…

1 Like

Yes absolutely. I’m not ‘full modular’ by any stretch. I do have a small set of modules for a little bit of experimentations / FX (top row of the LH rack) but everything else in the racks is just semi-modular stuff (Neutron, Pro-1, Model-D, System-1m, Crave) and I mainly use the CVIO to modulate those…

1 Like