Hapax sequencer is the fucken bomb

Have you got a Cirklon? Never heard anyone say anythings better who has got one in their studio

Have had one on two separate occasions. It’s damn good, but not perfect, nothing is.

Good enough for Aphex Twin, not good enough for moi :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Right the polyphonic track count is why I said the Oxi is not really a studio center. But for me that is not an issue, which is why I love it. Also the updates they are making are insanely good.

1 Like

I had one and sold it. Before I sold it I released tracks with it, so I learned it pretty deeply. It’s getting to be old tech now in all honesty. Of course I am not influenced by seeing someone use a Cirklon in a dusty studio filled with synths on Against the clock.

The main selling point for the Cirklon now is it’s build quality, super tight clock and number of outputs. The learning curve on the Cirklon is pretty painful though and it really pairs best with modular. Its not a great sequencer for writing lots of polyphony based harmoney with.

The oxi to me is better. Probably the Hapax as well. Faster to learn and program, far deeper chord modes and the channels can interact with each other in a musical way. I will add less expensive and actually available to purchase.

With the Cirklon I had to plug in a midi controller a lot and play the parts I wanted. I never have to do that with the Oxi, and the same would go for the Hapax.

4 Likes

Absolutely. In an age where everything seems to made cheaply, its great to see well built stuff made to last.

This is the right thread for that:

Talking about the cirklon is pretty much pointless since you can’t get one.

4 Likes

They can be had used, just takes a bit of rummaging around. But yeah if you want one still in shrink wrapping, you are in a world of pain :smiley:

Hapax is great. only had mine about a week but i’m already vibing with it well, the possibilities for creativity on this thing are well beyond what i’ve seen anyone discussing. it’s not perfect, they’re still working on tweaking some stuff and such, but it’s in a very useable state for me writing here at home.
i had a Pyramid for a while and enjoyed it a lot, but it was a little difficult to do some things and so i let it go a year or so back. Ableton (with a Push v1) had been my main sequencer before and after the Pyramid and it’s really powerful too, i could easily fall back on it at any point and may for some compositions moving forward…but right now, in love with the Hapax. well worth the price.

3 Likes

Are the portability use cases like, say, packing a bag with MIDI/CV gear, maybe an iPad, setting up on a picnic table, and then plugging in a small suite of cables prior to jamming? The portability is a cool feature for sure, but with all the connectivity it confuses me a bit since it seems slightly unruly.

When I think “portable” I think of something like M8 or Model:Cycles that has sequencer, sound, and headphone output in one. Maybe the number of cables is comparable after factoring in MIDI controllers, USB power banks, etc. I’m not saying it’s not useful but rather trying to understand how people are using this feature.

1 Like

Personally I’m thinking iPhone/iPad, headphones and the sequencer on which all composition happens…I agree, schlepping about one’s modular rig is not exactly “portable” :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t schlep a modular rig.

I have set up my micromonsta2 and black box in my kitchen and sampled it. I have also traveled with my MacBook Pro and oxi. The oxi comes with an awesome travel case. I typically make sequences in ableton with the oxi and sample those. Its 1 usb connection and done if I want to charge it or I can do no cables and bluetoooth. I love it. Super easy sampling setup.

2 Likes

so I’m guessing the answer to my question in “no” ? Looks like only the Squid enables you to dynamically alter tempo with an LFO like you can with modular sequencer clocks. Seems strange that no-one outside of Pioneer thought this was a cool feature. I use it loads, you can get grooves & riffs that are otherwise impossible

2 Likes

It could be a good feature request indeed. Global tempo or track tempo elasticity as a destination to global LFOs :ok_hand:

Edit : Did the feature request :wink:

Model:Cycles can sort of do this with an external CC shifting the swing value. It’s even more desirable to me, to get new tones out of colliding two same notes with a shifting delay ^^

I remember when the campaign launched that the case was a parameter for the definition of done. Some were complaining about it (“just give me the device, don’t need no case”), but as someone who likes to do stuff on the go/remote or move things around in the studio I really appreciate it.

1 Like

yeah, shifting swing will get some of the way there, but its not quite the same. The Squid is a beast for creative pattern generation

The Polyend Tracker is able to set a tempo value per step. And this value can be randomized per step. So not exactly a lfo on bpm but something pretty close.
I owned a Toraiz Squid precisely for the LFOs on tempo ability but I was disappointed by the fact that the modulation is per track and not on the master bpm. And no random waveform, and in fact, the tempo modulated track is still synced to the master bpm.
Now I use an Axoloti as a midi processor that converts midi cc to midi clock, (Blokas Midihub should also be able to do this and more) it’s sequenced by a Digitone and it lets use the midi LFO on the Digitone to control tempo :smiley:

2 Likes

^
yeah - cool how there’ something for everyone, as the fact it’s modulation per track but still related to the main tempo is exactly what I wanted. The lack of random isn’t a biggie for me, as it’s more gentle sweeping tempo fluctuation I want, as opposed to random madness!

1 Like

Yes, I’m totally into random tempo madness haha.
So, if we want the modulation per track still synced to master bpm, I don’t see other devices than Toraiz Squid to do this (even in eurorack, I can’t remember a device with this particular feature).

1 Like