Elektronauts Hip Hop Battle #22 - Def on the Nile

Props to @Yabba @Unifono and @Doug for letting me host :heart_eyes:

For battle #22 we will be paying tribute to someone sometimes called the most sampled man of all time Songwriter, Guitarist, and Super Producer Nile Rodgers!

The Rules:

• Each participant should post a YT link to a song featuring Nile Rodgers
  • ā€œfeaturingā€ means that he played guitar on it, or produced it so ā€œGet Luckyā€ or ā€œLike a Virginā€ are just as valid choices as ā€œLe Freakā€, but ā€œRappers Delightā€ (which is a cover not a sample) is not.
  • Additionally Each participant should post a short sample which could be a drum break, one shot, or melodic sample of their choice
  • You may not use the song, or sample that you posted in your track
  • You may use additional one shot drums, but not breaks
  • You may only use synths, or additional melodic samples for Bass (you may use posted melodic samples however you wish)
  • No acappellas (Unless they are sampled from a submitted track)
  • Max track length 2:30
  • If you donā€™t make the track submission deadline you may still participate using the existing tracks
  • Scoring will be the traditional top 3 format and only participants may vote

Samples should be posted by: Friday 23rd of June (Midnight GMT)
Tracks should be completed and submitted by Sunday 9th July (Midnight GMT)

Please submit by DMing me MP3s, or Wavs (in a format that can be easily downloaded) with the track name as your username.

May the funk be with you!

19 Likes

EDIT: Meant for that meme to be a genuine poking fun at myself, but it reads now like trivializing. Deleted.

Good theme, and quite broad with the production credits. Here are my samples:

ā€œTopazā€ by the B-52s:

Drum break from ā€œFeel No Fretā€ by Average White Band:

7 Likes

im gonna give this battle a shot, feel like i need to now that i have an sp404.

we got Al Jarreau - Moonlighting, produced by Nile Rodgers

and heres a one shot type dealio scatter effect from the sp

6 Likes

6 Likes

hey, heā€™s playing it right in front of us to see!

break

6 Likes

Nice one @monquixote

Hereā€™s my sample

And drum break only for use at the start of this

5 Likes

Nice theme!
Nile is the author of this track:

And here it is a drum loop to play with.

7 Likes

I was torn between doing something super broad and fun so it got lots of entries and doing something a bit more high concept and obscure around retro gaming, but I thought as itā€™s the first time Iā€™ve hosted Iā€™ll go the easy route.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Very nice choice with this, great person to pay tribute to. This should be a fun one.

Iā€™ll be looking foreward to that obscure concept next time you host too

1 Like

Also thanks for being very specific and clear with the rules, well done on that

2 Likes

I was gonna make a start today as itā€™s weekend but only one Iā€™d like to sample at the minute is the one I posted, and I canā€™t :joy:

Iā€™ll try the others and see what I get from them but hopefully weā€™ll get a few more up.

2 Likes

:rofl:
Iā€™m being slow on choosing mine. Iā€™ll get it posted shortly.

2 Likes

Haha nice one fella, itā€™s just me being over eager and Iā€™ll probably scrap my first beat like I usually do anyway

1 Like

Backfired 12" Mix Debbie Harry - I admit partially just because it has a really cool album cover.

@Yabba you should be able to pull some funky stuff from this :crazy_face:

And some perc to play with:

4 Likes

Cheers man, already started on something else, obviously not saying which so itā€™s anonymous in the voting.
But if Iā€™m the only one not sampling my sample that might be obvious too haha

Edit: actually, Iā€™m quite happy with what Iā€™m making so far so forget anything I previously said

1 Like

had a stinker of a warm up beat yesterday, then i loaded all the samples in the thread on my m8 this morning and hit the gym and 40 minutes later i had the bones of my beat, feeling pleased with it B-)

Now thatā€™s a movie :point_up:. Donā€™t make them like that anymore.

7 Likes

I love that you guys are digging out all these deep cuts.

2 Likes

He has so much cool.

I love how he casually says David Bowie popped into his bedroom and said ā€œHe check this out Nile darlingā€

ā€œWait a second - put my guitar into that multitap delay thing!ā€
ā€œIt has to be funk not folkā€

Now it makes me want to use serious delay in whatever Nile sample I useā€¦

5 Likes