Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 08 | The Bar-Kays - Whitehouseorgy

Welcome to another new edition of our bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza!

This is our first “official” challenge/foray into the new year, and folks, @natehorn and I definitely have something spicy for you!

Also, before going any further, and if you aren’t already aware, there is another challenge currently taking place that you may also fancy spending some time on here:

For this week’s sample track, we’ll be focusing on a well-known group from the years past, the Bar-Kays.

The track in focus is titled “Whitehouseorgy,” and comes from the album “Too Hot To Stop,” which is the group’s first album that was released on the Mercury label, in 1976. It’s fair to say that the Bar-Kays tried to push the envelope with the title of this track, and after some light wiki research the following was discovered about this album:

The New Rolling Stone Record Guide deemed the album “unashamedly derivative Ohio Players funk.”[4] Despite this review, Too Hot To Stop is considered by funk fans to be one of the very best Bar-Kays albums. It’s content caused George Clinton, leader of Parliament-Funkadelic, to invite the Bar-Kays to be one of the opening acts on his band’s legendary 1976-77 P-Funk Earth Tour.

Here is a link to the track, please delete it after using:

Bar-Kays - Whitehouseorgy

Album Photos:

(note: pictures taken from google search)

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family, and even Snoop Dogg’s private blunt rolling allegiance.

Mission:

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

Deadline: Sunday , January 15, 2023

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Sunday, January 15, 2023, or be faced with a brief moment of self-loathing for not participating. Submissions entered on later dates are also welcome!

Compensation:

Hearts and compliments from the community
(not guaranteed)

You can use as much or as little of the sample track as you like, you just have to use it. No winners, no losers, just good times!

Every two weeks we will post a track from our record collections, ideally something you’ve not heard before. Jams, full tracks, noodles - share whatever you like!

13 Likes

More neat info about this group that shocked me:

The Bar-Kays began in Memphis, Tennessee, as a studio session group, backing major artists at Stax Records.[5] In 1967, they were chosen by Otis Redding to play as his backing band, and were tutored for that role by Al Jackson, Jr., Booker T. Jones, and the other members of Booker T. & the M.G.'s.[6] Their first single, “Soul Finger”, was issued on April 14, 1967,[5] reaching number 3 on the US Billboard R&B Singles chart and number 17 on the Billboard Hot 100.[4]

On December 10, 1967, Redding and four members of the band—Jimmie King (born June 8, 1949; guitar), Ronnie Caldwell (born December 27, 1948; electric organ), Phalon Jones (born 1948; saxophone), and Carl Cunningham (born 1948; drums)—and their partner, Matthew Kelly, died when their airplane crashed into Lake Monona, near Madison, Wisconsin,[7] while attempting to land at Truax Field. Redding and the band were scheduled to play their next concerts in Madison. Trumpeter Ben Cauley was the only survivor of the crash.[1][5] Bassist James Alexander was on another plane, as the plane carrying Redding held only seven passengers. Cauley and Alexander rebuilt the group.[5]

The re-formed band consisted of Cauley; Alexander; Harvey Henderson, saxophone; Michael Toles, guitar; Ronnie Gorden, organ; Willie Hall, drums; and later Larry Dodson (formerly of fellow Stax act the Temprees), lead vocals. The group backed dozens of major Stax artists on recordings, including Isaac Hayes on his album Hot Buttered Soul.[5]

Cauley left the group in 1971, leaving Alexander, Dodson (vocals, vibes), Barry Wilkins (guitar), Winston Stewart (keyboards), Henderson (tenor sax, flute), Charles “Scoops” Allen (trumpet), and Alvin Hunter (drums) to create the album Black Rock.[8] Lloyd Smith joined in 1973, and the band changed musical direction during the 1970s, forging a successful career in funk music.[5] With the Stax/Volt label folding in 1975, the group signed with Mercury Records.[9]

6 Likes

Anyone else having an issue with the video link? I’ll try again a bit later or track another one down. The album artwork alone is a winner !

Hopefully this provides some easy inspiration for Jamuary folks :raised_hands:

1 Like

Well, time to brew some coffee.

1 Like

AH WHAT?! Give me a a second :man_mechanic:

They were lucky one of the band didn’t have a massive beer belly :rofl:

2 Likes

Ah man that flew over my head lmao :sweat_smile: nonetheless, there is an HQ flac version added to the op

1 Like

Thanks mate!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s blocked in the UK. I can play it using a VPN with a US-based IP address.

2 Likes

Ah good shout! Normally it says if it’s region blocked - I wonder if that was pushing too many people to their VPN :joy:

2 Likes

Alternative source for the UK fam :muscle:

I seriously thought you guys were joking about not being able to play the vid last night.
My bad! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Does it play the PH intro? Do we sample that as well?

2 Likes

That could actually be an interesting challenge in itself with a vintage ph series :thinking:

2 Likes

11 Likes

This is such a banger man hell yeah :muscle: Props on the glitchy stabs (if that’s what it’s called?)/vocal chops and the message is amazing haha really nice find and usage!

Drums are delicious too, chef. Nice and phatty! Thanks for the drop :beers:

1 Like

Man, I love the Bar-Kays. This is a nice birthday present.

3 Likes

HAPPY BIRTHDAY @protrusion! :birthday: :beers:

3 Likes

Gonna use this in todays Jam I think let’s see how it goes…

@1-2 great work as always - feels a bit different to your other stuff!

2 Likes

Absolute banger as always!

1 Like

That ish is funky!

1 Like