Xone DB4

Already subscribed to your Youtube channel)

I have jammed al morning with my live rig, routing sends from XONE 464 to DB4 as effects mixer
OMG, that was fun

1 Like

It was Daveā€™s original video of using the mixer with the digitakt that encouraged me to buy one.

Itā€™s a great mixer but also terrific to sample from into the octatrack.

1 Like

Great to hear!
Itā€™s awesome to use it like that yeah. Itā€™s fun to push gear to new undiscovered waters, and even more so if it wasnā€™t specifically designed for it :slight_smile:

@evsey curious to hear what youā€™re cooking!

1 Like

I uploaded a brand new video about the DB4 last Sunday. Here I share some of the perfomance tricks I use live as well as a send/return hack and how the xone k2 adds a lot of capabilities to the loopers :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

4 Likes

DB4 + Xone K2 = (Octatrack transition trick)^2

3 Likes

Yeah itā€™s pretty nifty. :slight_smile:

How does this run with Catalina currently? Can you at least record audio into ableton via usb? Anyone using with Serato? Is it compatible if on Catalina? Thanks!

Works fine with latest osx. Via USB into Ableton is all good in my experience.

Canā€™t say for Serato as I donā€™t use it.

1 Like

Iā€™ve said it a few times already, but some should really take this concept and turn it into an iOS app - now that we have class-compliant audio for the Digi machines, a dj mixer/looper/fx processor doesnā€™t currently existā€¦ yes, you can design your own enviroment using AUM and several different apps, but some aspects (like a simple crossfader) are quite complicated to achieve and involve different apps + MIDI remapping = more chances of crashes, etc.

1 Like

Interesting idea! :thinking:

Just out of interest (Iā€™m an app developer, but just for clients, nothing of my own yet), how much would you feel happy paying for an app that did this?

1 Like

Yup

Money. A class-compliant DJ mixer/looper/recorder with FX (plus clock sync solution), could be worth up to IDK, $100. Probably take a lot of influence from the DB 4; e.g., 4 stereo channels in (maybe 2 stereo out)- with lots of thought into the control surface.

I would easily pay 15-20 dollars (I live in Argentina, where thatā€™s quite a bit of money) if it did what I expect from it and itā€™s properly supported - maybe a bit more. (Iā€™m trying to be within reason of what iOS app cost - that I know itā€™s sometimes too little, making it hard for developers)

Iā€™ve done some beta-testing (Shoom and a few others) and Iā€™ve been craving for something like this (either hardware or software) for a long time, and Iā€™ve posted here and other places many, many times, at the point of sounding like a crazy person.
So if you ever decide to give it a shotā€¦ let me know :nerd_face:

Iā€™ve harvested ideas for this for a long time (probably not alone here) and I like to think of myself as a somewhat-reasonable person (meaning Iā€™m not going to ask for the app to make pancakes as well)ā€¦ also a graphic designer and a nerd - what I mean to say is: my heart is in the right place hehe

Hi Dave. Thanks for your inspiring videos. Iā€™ve just clicked the buy button for a DB4. I will be using it on my OTā€™s 4 outs plus my virus and use it as a jamming box to build loops etc with the FX and filters. Can you bounce one loop to another while playing the FX etc ?
Thanks
Tone

Hi Dave/All, an additional trick that was not covered yet (I believe) I recently realized that the DB4 can be synced via the K2. Not sure if that was mentioned anywhere already?! But this is solving the clock sync issue the DB4 has, not being class compliant. The K2 is and sends the clock signal to the DB4 via X-Link.

My current setup:
Midi clock master (e.g. AR) -> midi in iConnectMIDI4+ -> USB host iConnectMIDI4+ -> K2 -> DB4 via X-Link

That gives 4 loopers perfectly synced without use of a laptop :slight_smile:

6 Likes

that is very interesting to know, ty

Thatā€™s a very good find indeed! Thanks for sharing that. I didnā€™t know that either :slight_smile:till a laptop needed but it does give you the class compliant midi sync which is very nice

I have to try))

Anybody else thinking these two are a great compact alternative for the DB4? A midi controller like the midi twister or novation launch control can be added for some more knobs.

The bluebox has 6 stereo channels compared to 5 on the db4. So giving some room for external effects

1 Like