Xone DB4

^Nice idea - would love to see that.

Good point but just too small and touch screent for me . A DB 4 mk2 would be timely though?

1 Like

IĀ“m considering to get the DB4 as a mixer for live sets. Seeing @DaveMech use it on youtube really sold me to the idea.

IĀ“ve also been considering the Xone:96, which will give me access to outboard gear.

IĀ“ve also been considering to get bothā€¦ and just try them out and keep the one that I like the best! :smiley:

IĀ“m also into DJ-ing so both these mixers should be an awesome additon to my DJ setup.

I have two questions regarding this:

1. Are the onboard effects on the DB4 totally comparable to good outboard gear? The biggest plus I can see is the automatic BPM detection!

2. Would you guys consider the number of channels on these mixers to be a limiting factor? Sometimes, limitations are good, and itĀ“s maybe way more managable to work with fewer channels than being engulfed int he complexity of controlling multiple channels.

The Pioneer V10 is also a bit promising, the addition of the compressor per channel could be really valuable when doing live shows.

But appart from that, IĀ“m not really seeing what it has to offer over the Xone:96, and itĀ“s almost 2x more expensiveā€¦ and from what IĀ“ve heard, the sound quality of the 96 is better.

Anyone care to comment on the V10? Anyone using it for live shows?

And IĀ“m totally open for suggestions on other mixers as well!!!

1 Like

Aaaaaand IĀ“m thinking. Would I just be better set with a ā€œstandardā€ studio mixer with plenty of channels and some send/returns for my outboard gear?

Or is the playability of the Xone:96 or the DB4 a really nice addition to a live set? IĀ“m mostly doing techno sets so I guess that the answer to that question is a ā€œYESā€ :slight_smile: But would be great to get your opinion on this since these are pretty expensive mixers.

My main aim is to use this mixer for live setsā€¦ the DJ functionality comes second.

1 Like

I enjoy my Xone96 for live use with a Rytm, DN, and DT. Also with an Eventide Space Reverb pedal and Zen Delay on the two effect sends.

I also use this for my soundcard with Ableton.

2 Likes

Any word yet on whether the 96 (and DB4) will eventually have driver support for Big Sur?

DB4 drivers were very badly written: hex code to be re-written was never updated.
Issues with driver leading to digital clipping. Unstable driver loading off for no reason.
Apart from that, brilliant mixer if you are not going to use it as a soundcard.
Effects out of this world (coming from the iLive mixersā€™ series and ā€œadaptedā€ for DJing).
Routing matrix a bonus.
Looper actually pretty cool.
EQ system also interesting.
All in all a very hybrid/versatile mixer but a shame about drivers. A&H actually confirmed it to me when I had issues with it. And changed it for a MODEL1. Which I had awful issues with as well.
So for me (personal point of view = disclaimer) A&H is out of question.
Was eyeing a digital mixer from them (Q series) just to find out these are also problematic with driversā€¦

1 Like

I thought you had bought the Model 1 from a vendor in Lausanne (cf. one of your other posts)? For what itā€™s worth, I have a Qu Pac and a Qu Pac and no problem with either.

Thatā€™s absolutely correct.
Bought DB4 from that very shop in Lausanne.
Had issues with drivers.
Swapped it (with extra cash) for the MODEL1.
Would strongly NOT recommend that shop.
Apart from taking your cash, after sales service is inexistant.

Issues with Qu series is USB protocole (3.0) will create issues as it is not meant to be compatible with USB 3. Therefore it depends on your Mac model :slight_smile:
Confirmed in writing by A&H

1 Like

OK, thanks for the explanation! I donā€™t stream from Qu Pac but only record directly to an external HD, so I did not encounter the USB issues.

1 Like

Then you are all good :slight_smile:

YES :wink:

96 user here, coming from Mackie mixers. In performance playability there is no comparison. Soundwise, with its 4 band eq, 2 filters and all stereo channels and sends, it s also way better. Lower channel count of course, but limitations push creativity.

No driver issues here on windows. Using it as audio interface too. Fingers crossed coz now @vasidudu scared me :smile:

The DB4 is great as a standalone mixer for live performance.

The effects are top drawer and work great live. The loopers are great too.

As a soundcard, the mixer is okay but, to be honest, itā€™s like A & H have given up on supporting the mixer. Last time I looked the mixer still appears as part of their product line but, other than that, you wouldnā€™t really know that they make/made it at all.

Hahaha!!!
Development of MODEL1 had actually nothing to do with A&H as per sayā€¦
I believe this particular mixer had QC issues.
In the end it went back 7 tiles to factory, the 6 entire lines were swapped for new ones etcā€¦
96 is based on a well known/functioning platform.
Added sound interface is the only variable that is not ā€œcontrollableā€.
Sorry again @dtr if I scared youā€¦ Was not my intention.
Just had very bad luck with A&H.

You guys are really selling me on this idea of using a proper DJ mixer instead of a standard one!

But does anyone have experience with the V10? I just think that the concept of having a compressor per channel would be an amazing addition to a live setup!

And everyone is raving about the analog sound quality of the Xone:96, which I think really shines in the filter section for example. But the V10, will it hold up sound quality vice compared to the Xone:96? Itā€™s digital of course, but from what Iā€™ve read the audio quality is better than the previous mixers from Pioneer like the 900.

And the fact that I could buy a Xone:96 AND a DB4 for the price of the V10 is something to consider!

Any thoughts welcome! :slight_smile:

I had a DB4 and a MODEL1.
If you are interested in a comp per channel, then have a look at MODEL1: the ā€œdriveā€ pot on all 6 channels give that. It just squeeches the waveform/signal up to a square wave :wink: Instant gratification.
Huge headroom, D-Sub connectors, 3 aux sends if using D-Sub.
EQ out of this world: look for the frequency that you want to boost/cut and just do it :slight_smile:
Filters are CREAMY.
Though I had A LOT of issues with MODEL1 (Mainly due to QC I believe but at that price, it is simply not acceptable).
The DB4: would buy it again knowing I am NOT going to use its audio interface as drivers are very poorly written. Had to modify the hex code to have it more or less stable with Traktor. Though the routing matrix, loopers and 4 FX per track is a must I have to say.
FX are dope. Full stop. Taken from the D-Live line and adapted to DJing.
At this stage and with the experience (good and bad) I had at mixers, today I would look for a 92 with a good sound interface, possibly standalone (MOTU).
Pioneers mixers: I have never managed to like the digital polished sound that comes out of these.
The only one I actually liked was a Nexus2.
Hope this helps,
V

2 Likes

This really helps!

Iā€™m actually being offered a used Model 1 for a decent priceā€¦ That plus an external soundcard could just be what Iā€™m looking for. Then the mixer could be working for decades to come, and I could always just upgrade the soundcard :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

DB4 drivers are bad. Crush sometimes my PC
Amazing mixer for everything but this. Donā€™t expect to use it as a sounds card

Why they did not invest a little bit of money in software development (drivers) - donā€™t know
Look at RME and its reputation. I would pay some money (50 EUR) for decent drivers

1 Like

I bought a used Model 1 earlier this year for a very good price and I am extremely happy with it! It sounds great, and the sound shaping and routing options are excellent. One aspect to be aware if, though: all 6 channels as well as the fx sends and returns are stereo, without any panning/dual mono option. In practice that means that a mono synth signal needs to be split (and will occupy a full stereo channel) if you want to hear it on both sides.

1 Like